Casey Thompson

He has a couple avenues for a waiver - the fact that he played in 5 games at Bama and 2 of them were totally irrelevant for him to even appear in and then his actual RS year was the blanket waiver in 2020 so he didn't actually get any benefit from it

Most guys in his situation from that 2019 class got to benefit from 2020 because their RS season came before or after the blanket waiver and his didn't.

I think the path of using 2019 as his reasoning has more pull because they knew they could get Saban in their corner to sign off on it.
I still personally think he gets it. The easing up by the NCAA on eligibility rulings. Saban in his corner. Has a legit case. I Personally think NCAA has bigger fish to fry than deal with this.

Advertisement
Maybe both avenues play into the decision instead of considering only 1 of them. I know they referenced both in their submission to the NCAA but publicly they've focused on the 2019 season.

I'm not a huge fan of Taulia.. he's solid.. but I still really want this to happen. I think it would be an awesome storyline to have a Tagovailoa playing in Hard Rock on Saturday and another one on Sunday. You'd probably have Tua, Tyreek, Waddle, and Berrios on Greentree all summer working with him, George, and Restrepo. The Dolphins would be more involved creating storylines and media exposure for the Canes.

I truly appreciate your insights. I have been asking around to see if they included the 2020 argument, and nobody seemed to know. 2019 is the best emotional argument and 2020 is the best logical argument.

If the NCAA rules in his favor, citing "2020" allows them a one-time "but it was COVID" exception, instead of opening the floodgates to "well, more than 4 games is OK to redshirt, as long as you don't actually register stats". By those standards, a 12-game long-snapper could redshirt like Taulia is trying to do.

2020 should not count IN ANY WAY against players at schools like Maryland, schools that had 5-game seasons. It's just bull****. If you had that few games in 2020, you should be able to move your COVID year to 2021.

I still personally think he gets it. The easing up by the NCAA on eligibility rulings. Saban in his corner. Has a legit case. I Personally think NCAA has bigger fish to fry than deal with this.
I texted it to a former teammate who is in an SEC athletic dept and he said that based on what he has seen he thinks they will grant it. Apparently this is more popular of a request and filing at the D2 level and they've been briefed on these situations.

He basically said that if this was a nobody asking for the waiver it could be closer to 50/50 but there's name weight and publicity at stake here as well. The Tagovailoa name could make it national news and they have money and legal resources on retainer. Like you said.. just let it go and spend resources elsewhere with everything else going on with NCAA. Taulia is good but granting him another year isn't altering the CFB landscape or anything.

I truly appreciate your insights. I have been asking around to see if they included the 2020 argument, and nobody seemed to know. 2019 is the best emotional argument and 2020 is the best logical argument.

If the NCAA rules in his favor, citing "2020" allows them a one-time "but it was COVID" exception, instead of opening the floodgates to "well, more than 4 games is OK to redshirt, as long as you don't actually register stats". By those standards, a 12-game long-snapper could redshirt like Taulia is trying to do.

2020 should not count IN ANY WAY against players at schools like Maryland, schools that had 5-game seasons. It's just bull****. If you had that few games in 2020, you should be able to move your COVID year to 2021.

Well, my opinion is he already moved his Covid year. Take 2020 out for everyone and count how many years most have played. Basically he played in '19, 21, 22 & 23 and used up his eligibility.

Advertisement
I texted it to a former teammate who is in an SEC athletic dept and he said that based on what he has seen he thinks they will grant it. Apparently this is more popular of a request and filing at the D2 level and they've been briefed on these situations.

He basically said that if this was a nobody asking for the waiver it could be closer to 50/50 but there's name weight and publicity at stake here as well. The Tagovailoa name could make it national news and they have money and legal resources on retainer. Like you said.. just let it go and spend resources elsewhere with everything else going on with NCAA. Taulia is good but granting him another year isn't altering the CFB landscape or anything.
Yup 1000% percent. Don’t know if it’s actually a factor, but the brothers both playing in Miami is a great storyline. Will make money. This is a money making industry last time I checked.

I been pestering Bakers son to get me info lol.

Maybe both avenues play into the decision instead of considering only 1 of them. I know they referenced both in their submission to the NCAA but publicly they've focused on the 2019 season.

I'm not a huge fan of Taulia.. he's solid.. but I still really want this to happen. I think it would be an awesome storyline to have a Tagovailoa playing in Hard Rock on Saturday and another one on Sunday. You'd probably have Tua, Tyreek, Waddle, and Berrios on Greentree all summer working with him, George, and Restrepo. The Dolphins would be more involved creating storylines and media exposure for the Canes.
smart man. Is taulia better then tvd?

Well, my opinion is he already moved his Covid year. Take 2020 out for everyone and count how many years most have played. Basically he played in '19, 21, 22 & 23 and used up his eligibility.

Again, you are doing what the NCAA is trying to do. Only give ONE redshirt. Double-count 2020.

If a player takes a "regular" redshirt in 2019 and a "COVID" redshirt in 2020, he gets TWO redshirt years. So, no, if you just "take 2020 out for everyone", then he either loses (a) the "regular" redshirt year, or (b) the "COVID" redshirt year (since he qualified to take a redshirt in 2020 by only playing in 4 games).

So, he has NOT "already moved his COVID year".

2019 - does NOT qualify for a regular redshirt, due to playing in 5 games.
2020 - DOES qualify for a regular redshirt, due to playing in 4 games.
2021 - COULD qualify for a COVID redshirt year if the NCAA allows him to have both a regular redshirt year AND a COVID redshirt year LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.
2022 - does NOT qualify for a regular redshirt.
2023 - does NOT qualify for a regular redshrt.

Thus, if the NCAA grants Taulia exactly what EVERY OTHER PLAYER had, the chance to take a "regular" redshirt year AND a COVID redshirt year, then he would have used eligibility in 2019, 2022, and 2023.

But if the NCAA forces Taulia to collapse his "regular" redshirt AND his COVID redshirt into the same year (2020), then his eligibility has been exhausted.

No matter how much we want to cry about 2019. He played in 5 games.

Advertisement
So many guys getting 6th and 7th years. Hopefully Taulia gets his 6th year.
There were only 3 or 4 7th year guys ever prior to covid. The reason you're seeing so many 6th and 7th year guys is that free year. After 2026, this will go away (holding everything equal of course).

Coach Joe was actually one of the rare 6th year players of his time.

Again, you are doing what the NCAA is trying to do. Only give ONE redshirt. Double-count 2020.

If a player takes a "regular" redshirt in 2019 and a "COVID" redshirt in 2020, he gets TWO redshirt years. So, no, if you just "take 2020 out for everyone", then he either loses (a) the "regular" redshirt year, or (b) the "COVID" redshirt year (since he qualified to take a redshirt in 2020 by only playing in 4 games).

So, he has NOT "already moved his COVID year".

2019 - does NOT qualify for a regular redshirt, due to playing in 5 games.
2020 - DOES qualify for a regular redshirt, due to playing in 4 games.
2021 - COULD qualify for a COVID redshirt year if the NCAA allows him to have both a regular redshirt year AND a COVID redshirt year LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.
2022 - does NOT qualify for a regular redshirt.
2023 - does NOT qualify for a regular redshrt.

Thus, if the NCAA grants Taulia exactly what EVERY OTHER PLAYER had, the chance to take a "regular" redshirt year AND a COVID redshirt year, then he would have used eligibility in 2019, 2022, and 2023.

But if the NCAA forces Taulia to collapse his "regular" redshirt AND his COVID redshirt into the same year (2020), then his eligibility has been exhausted.

No matter how much we want to cry about 2019. He played in 5 games.

Whew

Either you're thinking too much into this or I'm over simplifying it too much.

My understanding 2020 was a wash for everyone getting an extra year whether they played any or not in 2020.

2019-played
2020-Covid
2021-played free Covid year
2022-played
2023-played

Out of eligibility.

Someone that took a usual RS year could play in 2024.

2019-RS
2020-Covid
2021-played
2022-played
2023-played
2024-can play

Yup 1000% percent. Don’t know if it’s actually a factor, but the brothers both playing in Miami is a great storyline. Will make money. This is a money making industry last time I checked.

I been pestering Bakers son to get me info lol.
Just think the NCAA needs as much good press as possible these days... Denying Tali would be bad press... Giving him the waiver, would create all sorts of buzz and attraction..

Just think the NCAA needs as much good press as possible these days... Denying Tali would be bad press... Giving him the waiver, would create all sorts of buzz and attraction..
I’ve talked to Bakers son about things, not this specifically. Between Michigan, NIL, conferences, the CFP (which is separate from the NCAA), he and the NCAA have there have hands full. The last thing they want to deal with is eligibility issues. There’s enough labor suits and items on the docket. That’s why I still lean on the side of them granting it and focusing their attention on bigger items.

I’ll also add, Charlie is pro players. He is going to benefit the players as much as possible. Idk his involvement with this decision, probably not big. But def could be a factor

Advertisement
Whew

Either you're thinking too much into this or I'm over simplifying it too much.

My understanding 2020 was a wash for everyone getting an extra year whether they played any or not in 2020.

2019-played
2020-Covid
2021-played free Covid year
2022-played
2023-played

Out of eligibility.

Someone that took a usual RS year could play in 2024.

2019-RS
2020-Covid
2021-played
2022-played
2023-played
2024-can play
So all players but the ones RS in 2020 get a COVID year? The players that RS just get screwed out of getting 5 years like the rest?

So all players but the ones RS in 2020 get a COVID year? The players that RS just get screwed out of getting 5 years like the rest?
Sorry. Not sure I follow. 2020 from my understanding didn’t count whether played or didn’t play for whatever reason. I’m basically saying Taulia can’t say he RS in 2020 but wants to use that year now. He already used his free year.

Sorry. Not sure I follow. 2020 from my understanding didn’t count whether played or didn’t play for whatever reason. I’m basically saying Taulia can’t say he RS in 2020 but wants to use that year now. He already used his free year.
My point is most players got a RS year and another year for COVID. He didn't. Seems unfair.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back