Canes Win

Advertisement
Pack …. He took being pushed out of a starting guard spot personally. He must be feeling some kinda way right now. Congrats to him and the squad.

And my apologies for quoting a Talladega grad.

Last edited:
Pack …. He took being pushed out of a starting guard spot personally. He must be feeling some kinda way right now. Congrats to him and the squad.

And my apologies for quoting a Talladega grad.
What are you talking about? He's always been in our starting five.

Pack and Joseph can both run the point and Joseph now shoots well enough that he can play off balL. I was concerned about yhe lack of size in the back court doing into the season, but so far Pack and Joseph are complimenting each other very well.
Post I was replying to TheU1984 who said Pack was "pushed out of his starting Guard" job?? That was news to me.

Advertisement
...have been pondering this awhile, maybe when Omier started passing instead of trying (several) open 3's in prior games... I think he maybe could sink as many 3's as the next starter, although when Wooga or Pack or others are simply blazing hot, then hot hand rules...

...it must be quite a challenge to coach this team to avoid hero-ball (especially from 3's) when all can really sink them on an average or better day. How are the guys supposed to "share the ball" (sign on locker room wall) but also take an open-3 that by odds misses half the time (unless you are HOTPACK)? Kudos to coach and team and Omier (who knows his value elsewhere) for so far being successfully cognitive.

(we'll forget Woogas ill-considered 1-on-1 drive today that got 2 of the team to give him a stern look or word right after, lol)

K State shot just 4 of 28 on their 3's. We scored 36 points on threes, they scored 4. Good thing they were all bricklayers from beyond the arc.

As for our bench, Kyshawn George had a productive box score line. Pretty much nothing from anyone else.

Bensley thinking like a PG. He passed up 3-4 open shots for assists to better shooters. Very unselfish and smart.

Pack's range is virtually unlimited. What a first half shooting exhibition. Bet K State fans were not happy while they thought of what might have been.

Advertisement
K State shot just 4 of 28 on their 3's. We scored 36 points on threes, they scored 4. Good thing they were all bricklayers from beyond the arc.

As for our bench, Kyshawn George had a productive box score line. Pretty much nothing from anyone else.

Bensley thinking like a PG. He passed up 3-4 open shots for assists to better shooters. Very unselfish and smart.

Pack's range is virtually unlimited. What a first half shooting exhibition. Bet K State fans were not happy while they thought of what might have been.
We also did a good job of contesting their 3 point shots whereas we took a lot of open 3 pointers, not the least because Coach L gives our guys a lot of freedom to short very long 3’s which are rarely contested because our guys will go right around the defender and score at the basket.

I don't think he lost his job there either. Wasn't he First Team All-Big XII @ K State? Players of that caliber don't lose their jobs.

Pack was All Big 12, yes. And was the number two rated guy in the transfer portal. However, Weber left, Tang came in, and Markquis Nowell was the guy. In fact, he was just two or three guys that stuck around.

Maybe a stretch for me to say Pack lost his job, but point still stands, Nowell was 1.

Ended up being a good move for both.

Re: the bench, L wants tenacious defense and offensive efficiency from them more than anything else. They’re generally not going to put up big numbers because their job is to play defense, rebound, pass, and take the open shot or drive when it’s there.

Pack was All Big 12, yes. And was the number two rated guy in the transfer portal. However, Weber left, Tang came in, and Markquis Nowell was the guy. In fact, he was just two or three guys that stuck around.

Maybe a stretch for me to say Pack lost his job, but point still stands, Nowell was 1.

Ended up being a good move for both.
Got it. But, the days of playing two Guards, two Forwards and a Center are gone. Many teams, like us, play basically "4 out" (on the perimeter) with one "big." I don't think Pack was ever in danger of having to sit at K State. I don't think playing time was the issue.

Advertisement
Re: the bench, L wants tenacious defense and offensive efficiency from them more than anything else. They’re generally not going to put up big numbers because their job is to play defense, rebound, pass, and take the open shot or drive when it’s there.
I get it but ... when a bench guy is in the game, it's nice to think they could score here or there.

They can hopefully, as the season progresses, do both -- play energetic D, rebound and hit a few shots. At this point, I'd just like to feel more confident they can do the latter on some kind of regular basis..

They may well be a bit intimidated by the skill of the starters and thus feel more pressure to play at a high level when in the game. Once they relax a bit, it'll hopefully start to come easier for at least a couple of them.

We may not be as lucky injury-wise as we were last season. Nwoko, George, Watson, Casey and Robinson are only an injury away from one of them having to play critical minutes.

Advertisement
Back