Canes vs. Pitt Game 1

Advertisement
If you can have a disastrous win, that was probably it. Veliz is pretty clearly unavailable tomorrow, and you have to be concerned about Gil. I imagine Escala gets the start if he can’t go. It’s imperative that McMahon goes 6 or 7 innings. Federman was probably our best (only good?) pitcher in his first game in the setup role.

That game was basically our season in a nutshell.

We hit great, fielding is terrible, leave runs on base/run out, and pitchers cant throw strikes.

Hopefully Gil isnt seriously hurt

If you can have a disastrous win, that was probably it. Veliz is pretty clearly unavailable tomorrow, and you have to be concerned about Gil. I imagine Escala gets the start if he can’t go. It’s imperative that McMahon goes 6 or 7 innings. Federman was probably our best (only good?) pitcher in his first game in the setup role.

Despite using a bunch of bullpen guys, I'd think only Veliz is unavailable tmrw. Neither Maury, Cook, nor Keysor threw many pitches

Despite using a bunch of bullpen guys, I'd think only Veliz is unavailable tmrw. Neither Maury, Cook, nor Keysor threw many pitches
They should be. The concern is that you’re forced to use Federman in a role you just removed him from, while relying on an inconsistent group to get the ball to him. I’m not confident they can do it for more than a couple innings. In fairness, this is also why Gino keeps leaving our starters in too long.

Tonight wasn’t a great case for Veliz to remain the closer though. He essentially repeated the same pattern of walks and high pitch counts that cost him a rotation spot. It may be that Federman as closer and Veliz in setup is the best we can do once Veliz is available again.

Advertisement
They should be. The concern is that you’re forced to use Federman in a role you just removed him from, while relying on an inconsistent group to get the ball to him. I’m not confident they can do it for more than a couple innings. In fairness, this is also why Gino keeps leaving our starters in too long.

Tonight wasn’t a great case for Veliz to remain the closer though. He essentially repeated the same pattern of walks and high pitch counts that cost him a rotation spot. It may be that Federman as closer and Veliz in setup is the best we can do once Veliz is available again.

Let's hope the ump tmrw doesnt have a super tight strike zone.

This guy was consistent, I'll give him that, but he really made it difficult for guys on both sides

What's going on with the pitching all of a sudden? Hard to find a single reliable pitcher on the roster these days (starter or reliever).

Just finished watching replay - really ugly win. Not much more to say from what has been said, except our infielders continuing to be so nonchalant on routine ground balls is maddening.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back