Canes MOMENTUM Initiative

RoCane88

Recruit
I saw Canes Football announced it's new MOMENTUM Initiative to help student athletes profit off their image & grow their personal brand.

A great initiative that is well deserved by student athletes to be able to profit off their dedication, motivation, sacrifices & talent.

However, in thinking this through I started to wonder while this is great what damage could it do? Started to think if this drive for each team member to grow their own personal brand, will it come at the expense of team unity? Will everyone end a good or bad game on the field thinking "well I got my highlights tonight, got my own stats, yeah we may have lost or won, but I did well individually"?

Social media is already a drain on attention for me, who's 32, I can only imagine for 18-22 year old. Will their focus be on growing their personal brand at the expense of their true mission in football being a team sport.

Am I ****ting off the pot or do you all see some potential for this going wrong, although the intention being great?

Advertisement
Sure it could go wrong but this is Miami's road to landing top recruits even if the Bamas of the world are throwing BAGS. Miami can do much better if most kids are making more $$ at Miami and is a stepping stone to bigger things.

I think the players are already doing this to some degree, at all levels with workout videos, highlight videos, stat posting, etc...

@90scane @miamicanephins agreed they're already doing this & the on the field results are mixed in how "tuned in" players are. I can only imagine once the floodgates open, but maybe I'm just being cynical. That combination of making more $$ at Miami & using us as a stepping stone, seems like a bad recipe for just going through the motions while I'm here & skidding into the 3rd/4th round based off "potential".

True that Bama can do this, but at the end of the day they're Bama. I believe while they're players are doing the same things that our UM players are doing, Bama's players face the real possibility of losing their spot on the team or depth chart. Real consequences that can hurt that "personal brand development" vs Miami's eh you're good regardless, let's make that dope IG post now.

Advertisement
@90scane @miamicanephins agreed they're already doing this & the on the field results are mixed in how "tuned in" players are. I can only imagine once the floodgates open, but maybe I'm just being cynical. That combination of making more $$ at Miami & using us as a stepping stone, seems like a bad recipe for just going through the motions while I'm here & skidding into the 3rd/4th round based off "potential".

True that Bama can do this, but at the end of the day they're Bama. I believe while they're players are doing the same things that our UM players are doing, Bama's players face the real possibility of losing their spot on the team or depth chart. Real consequences that can hurt that "personal brand development" vs Miami's eh you're good regardless, let's make that dope IG post now.
Bama players know there are consequences if they ***** up, at Miami no one is scared of Diaz. And the competition for playing time at Miami isn't where it needs to be, as has been said by many.

I guess what's needed so the train doesn't go off the tracks, is someone to keep them focused & centered on why they're there in the first place. The personal brand development is a second, which will grow naturally if you perform on the field. Like you said @miamicanephins need that disciplinarian.

Appreciate your insight everyone.

We have 70 kids on ship + 5 walkons that got ships. In '21, we should finally have enough kids to play with 85. In '22, I expect those 85 to be closing in on Miami level from Senior to Freshmen classes. Of course Jennings, Ivey, Blades, Hall and much of the OL are Juniors this year which means they have two years to play due to Covid. Manny is going to have to push some of them out the door with 4 or 5 years done at Miami to continue to sign better talent.

fridge.gif

Advertisement
That's some content I can get behind^

Also, I might add genius timing in releasing the MOMENTUM news right before early signing day for any croots still on the fence.

It’s up to the staff to help the kids separate personal brand from team success. Generally the best way to grow your brand will actually be team success and staff gotta let the kids know that.

Love the move though and this could be beneficial for not just football players but all student-athletes and maybe even non athletes.

I got a good look at all of our defensive players names when they were chasing Williams and Carter.

Manny playing chess.

Advertisement
Illegal recruiting creates a tier system. Every player in the locker room knows who was paid and who was not paid, and probably have a pretty good idea how much each player was paid. So the tier system and being “out for yourself” already exists in every major college football and basketball program. In basketball, teammates look at each other as taking too many shots and impacting their own draft status. It’s the nature of high college sports. nothing UM does or does not do will change this dynamic at all.

As another poster wrote, this is UM’s method of legally getting players paid. If done correctly, the ”image” issue will allow the big city schools to have some advantages over the college town schools; think UM and USC in football, and a plethora of basketball programs as there are many in big cities.

Let’s use this to level the playing field.

I saw Canes Football announced it's new MOMENTUM Initiative to help student athletes profit off their image & grow their personal brand.

A great initiative that is well deserved by student athletes to be able to profit off their dedication, motivation, sacrifices & talent.

However, in thinking this through I started to wonder while this is great what damage could it do? Started to think if this drive for each team member to grow their own personal brand, will it come at the expense of team unity? Will everyone end a good or bad game on the field thinking "well I got my highlights tonight, got my own stats, yeah we may have lost or won, but I did well individually"?

Social media is already a drain on attention for me, who's 32, I can only imagine for 18-22 year old. Will their focus be on growing their personal brand at the expense of their true mission in football being a team sport.

Am I ****ting off the pot or do you all see some potential for this going wrong, although the intention being great?
It’s a great thing for Miami. It levels the recruiting playing field, and even can be a huge advantage.

A large media market like S fla. offers way more opportunity to profit off likeness than any sec school can.

Advertisement
Back