Canes History:Stephen McGuire

Advertisement
One of the best rushing performances I ever saw by UM was 1990 against FSU. Pretty sure we had over 300 yards that day. We went up 24-0, they made a comeback (24-16) we put it away, 31-16 and they scored a meaningless TD at the end for the 31-22 final. I know McGuire had 176, but I think Conley had over 100 too. We killed them on the ground in a must win game (we already had 2 losses, BYU and Notre Dame). Everyone forgets the 1990 game, because of all the great Miami-FSU games.

Edit: Just looked it up. We had 334 yards on 52 carries.

Last edited:
Stephen McGuire, Melvin Bratton and Rusty Medearis would have all been great pros. Sucks that they didn't play now with the incredible advances in knee surgeries. Back in those days all it took was one unfortunate play and your future completely changed.

Advertisement
Great story on a great guy. Not everyone can make it in the league yet he is a SOLID contributor to society and this country. I love hearing/reading these stories. Thanks for posting

Stephen McGuire was the first Cane player I ever met. It was the spring game right after Vince Wilfork graduated (2000-2001? can't remember year) and I went with a friend to the Nike Camp the day before our spring game. He was there helping with the camp in some capacity and one of the guys I was with introduced us, super nice guy. It was a nothing conversation, but I thought it was pretty **** cool at the time after seeing him as a kid years before. The second Cane player I met that same day was Nate Webster, who wasn't helping with the camp but was passing by at Hecht coincidentally, and while he was nice enough in that brief encounter you could tell he was one bad *** MF you did not want to upset.

It a joy to see, so many former canes have a successful life after football.

These posts are great. It would be cool to have some pages on the main site for old time players where we could add stories or favorite memories of the guys that have been apart of this thing throughout the years. I know posts like this are great, but I'm talking about something more permanent, which would give the younger guys the opportunity to learn some things from fan perspectives. Just an idea.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This man was a gamer. A lot of rbs feast against the little schools then struggle the fsu's on the schedule. But mcguire was the opposite. When fsu week came around, this man was ready to kick some ***.

Stephen was my favorite Cane as an 11, 12 year old kid. He was what we'd all hoped Gus Edwards would've been but never was. Just look at Stephens pad level and how fast he hits the hole. He never went down by the first tackler. Dude was UMs version of Fournette.

Advertisement
Don't remember McGuire on any national recruiting lists back then. He won the high school Heisman from the NYAC the same year Vinny won the college Heisman. I don't know how we found out about him. He won that NYAC award probably because he was a NYC kid.

We got some other RBs from the NY-NJ area the same year, I think: Ellery Roberts, Tekay Dorsey and one kid from Florida I think. The only one who was a player was McGuire. I remember Max Emfinger telling me how good Roberts was going to be for Miami. This was early in fall practice. Roberts had already made his mark as a flop according to my friends. I think Emfinger had Roberts, who was from Long Island, as a five star. Emfinger was dumbfounded when I told him, just a few weeks into fall practice, that Roberts was a flop. Emfinger became Dumbfinger. My sources were right. I don't know if Roberts lasted the whole year. He ended up transferring to Stanford, which was not very good at the time. Dorsey lasted a few years and transferred to Rutgers. I think our fourth back might have been a kid named Terrell Jackson and some were promsing he was the second coming of Mel Bratton. He was not.

McGuire was the only kid from that recruiting class of four RBs who did anything--if I've got the class right. It's been some years, and I'm not sure my memory serves me well, but I think those were the four we recruited in a year we really needed backs. Didn't McGuire spend a year at Fork Union, by the way?

I was at the BC Miami game when he tore his knee up. Night game, over flow crowd at the Old Alumni Stadium. Electric Crowd. BC revamped the stadium that spring.

Advertisement
Back