Canes Champion Andrew Burrow

Kirijax

Senior
In the 131-year hostory of the NCAA tennis championships, only two Canes have won the national singles title. Pancho Segura won it three years in a row ('43-'45) and 42 years later, Andrew Burrow won the 1987 title. I had been wanting to write an article on Burrow for my Canes tennis site so I contacted him on facebook. Surprisingly he got back with me and even sent me some phots that he had of when he won the title. I just put together a list of his accomplishments so if you're a Canes tennis fan and you don't know much about Andrew Burrow, you need to find out!

There have been many great players to play for the Miami Hurricanes men’s tennis team; Gardnar Mulloy, Pancho Segura, Eddie Dibbs, Jaime Fillol, and others. One name that cannot be left out of this group is Andrew Burrow, one of two Canes to win the men’s singles title during the 131-year history of the NCAA championships.
Andrew Burrow was born in George, South Africa in 1963. He excelled in tennis while growing up in an ostrich farming community in Oudtshoorn. After high school, he finished his mandatory two-year stint in the South African military and received offers from many schools such as Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama. John Hammill, who was also from South Africa, was Miami’s head coach at the time and was a big influence in getting Burrow to sign on with Miami.

“The head tennis coach at that time was John Hammill, and he was also a South African. He recruited heavily from South Africa,” said Burrow. “I decided to stick with the U because of those South African ties. It felt like what I had grown up with.”
Quote from Miami official article “The Andrew Burrow Story”

According to official Miami records, Burrow had a record of 20-8 in singles and 20-7 in doubles during his freshman year in 1983-84. From his sophomore year, he was the Canes No. 1 singles player. He had a 27-13 record in singles and a 18-9 record in doubles. He was also selected for the NCAA Championships and advanced to the 2nd round. He continued to rack up the wins in his junior year with a 23-19 record in singles and 11-7 in doubles. He finished the year ranked No. 52 in singles and No. 39 in doubles.
His best year of course was 1987. As a senior and the No. 1 Canes player, Burrow had a national ranking of No. 6 in singles, No. 24 ranking in doubles and a 30-13 record in singles. He was also named to the All-American team. In the NCAA Championships as the No. 7 seed he defeated No. 13 Mark Kaplan of UC-Irvine 7-6(1), 2-6, 6-1 in the semifinals. In the final he met unseeded Dan Goldberg of Michigan. He dropped the first set, but then came back to win the match 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 to become the first Cane in 42 years to win the men’s singles title.

"He was hitting a lot of lobs and I don’t particularly like that type of game,” Burrow said. “I just stayed back and prepared myself for a long match.”
Goldberg was trying to become the first unseeded player to win the title since Michigan’s Mike Leach did it in 1972. “I started out OK, but in the second set I found myself with a lot of nervous energy,” he said.
“I don’t think I was very tired physically, but mentally I was beginning to wear down.”
Quote from the LA Times article, “Burrow Victorious in Singles Final

“To win the tournament was very surreal. It was a huge accomplishment for me; I wasn’t expected to win. It was also great to win for the U. It was a great honor for me to be one of only a handful of UM players to ever win the singles title,” he describes.
Quote from Miami official article “The Andrew Burrow Story”

During his Canes career, Burrow recorded 70 wins in singles and over 40 wins in doubles. He was inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Sports Hall of Fame in 2005. After his Miami career, he played on the ATP Tour for three years. His biggest win was at the 1988 U.S. Open, where he made it through the qualifying draw and defeated No. 89 Udo Riglewski in the first round. His career high in the rankings was No. 276 in singles and No. 227 in doubles. He retired from the tour in 1989 and he is currently the tennis director of the Montgomery Country Club in Montgomery, Alabama.

IMG_1515 (1).JPG

Article with pics

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back