Can we talk about Donaldson at RT?

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
Putting the LSU game aside, it's year 3 and we have nobody to play RT. Unlike at DT, this wasn't a result of guys deciding to leave early, nor was it a result of injuries. So we have to move a guy who got exposed by Clemson playing guard to RT. Donaldson obviously is not a RT. Another coaching/recruiting failure among many coaching/recruiting failures quickly piling up.

Advertisement
Been saying it since spring Donaldson is not a RT now maybe next year but the dumbass idiots at 247 kept saying he’s gonna be at RT when the coaches said over and over he is staying at G. I agree put Scaife at RT, Donaldson at G.

Advertisement
The defensive end looked like Usain Bolt going around Donaldson. He's a top flight guard.

I told everybody here when I saw him play at the underarmour game that he wasn’t a tackle and I got negged...AGAIN.

Dude is beyond overweight

Too **** slow
It’s not that he’s over weight. He’s just not athletic enough! The guy was a pure guard all the way but Petey and D-moni kept saying he’s like Trent Williams.

If you looked at Donaldson at RG last year, he struggled with smaller quicker DTs. No where in his game from his weight to his feet to his hands does it say “I’m a RT”. He has serious potential at guard, let him become a force there.

Advertisement
He's going to struggle against speed - and Chaisson has speed. That's why most didn't like the move when we heard about it.

Some is on the coaches too. You put a TE there to help chip, keeping the rusher inside where Donaldson can use his size/length, and then let the TE work the middle. But either our coaches don't trust the TEs or are stubborn to change their offense/gameplan and minimize a weakness that shows up on gameday.

Putting the LSU game aside, it's year 3 and we have nobody to play RT. Unlike at DT, this wasn't a result of guys deciding to leave early, nor was it a result of injuries. So we have to move a guy who got exposed by Clemson playing guard to RT. Donaldson obviously is not a RT. Another coaching/recruiting failure among many coaching/recruiting failures quickly piling up.
The **** out of here with the recruiting failure bs

Said it when we recruited him that he’s not a OT. He’s got solid feet but not quick enough for a team with quick pass-rushers. He should be at RG, Reed at LG, and Scaife at RT. Start the youth movement ASAP because we lose A LOT after this year. Might as well get the young guys ready especially on the OL. Stop ******* around with the failed golden specials like Mahoney and Jones.

Advertisement
That game makes you wonder what they were watching in practice. Surely Jackson, Gavin et al were roasting Donaldson on Greentree?!

Advertisement
He's just not a tackle.

Was fine at RG last year and that is where he should be. Instead of having one weakness (RT) now you have two since you moved him out there (RT/RG). If you had say...Reed, Gauthier, and Donaldson in the interior with Boulware rotating in and splitting time with Reed, you could at least say the interior was average. Moving Donaldson out to RT just weakens three spots on the line.

I would flip St. Louis back to RT, too. I would wager money that LT (say Scaife, idc), Boulware/Reed, Gauthier/Gaynor, Donaldson, St. Louis would be a much better grouping and while you might lose battles with a weaker or younger LT, the strength you'd gain by moving guys back to a position they've previously succeeded at would offset that, especially in the run game.

Whatever we've got going on right now, simply isn't good.

It's just another example of the coaches being soft. We apparently can't tell recruits we will give them a shot at position x first even though we want them at position y. And since we taold Donaldson we would play him as a tackle it's apparently written in stone that we have to slot him in there.

When a team blitzes you have to have a QB who thinks quickly with a quick accurate release. We may have that in Williams but he is still too raw.Hopefully better days ahead for this team .I dont expect Rosier will start the whole season.

Advertisement
Back