Brian Balom Appreciation Thread

Devil's advocate, is it possible to stop Bama's passing attack when your starting corners run 4.6s?
No.

But if they’re not technically sound & have no football IQ it doesn’t matter if they run 4.2’s, they’re gonna get beat.

Name the fastest corner you’ve ever seen play & I’ll guarantee I can recall a series he got beat bad for a TD, even the GOAT Deion Sanders as fast as he was has gotten beat by guys who ran slower 40 times than him.

Football is not track, there are transferable qualities that is good to have between the two, but at the end of day the gridiron game is about mental acuity, toughness & knowing when to know what to do more than isolated physical metrics.

Richard Sherman dominated the league from 2012-2016 & he was barely a 4.56 more so on the 4.6 side on average, but his IQ & technique separated him.

I’m NOT saying speed doesn’t matter or isn’t valuable, I’m saying speed by itself is useless, you need speed AND all the other sh*t too lol, just being fast without good technique just means you’ll get to the end zone quicker after you blow coverage & your man scores on you lol

Advertisement
Devil's advocate, is it possible to stop Bama's passing attack when your starting corners run 4.6s?
If those CBs play with near-perfect technique and you're fielding a top tier front 7 with elite pass rushers... you can stop them occasionally and generally slow them down. They will still get theirs, though.

No.

But if they’re not technically sound & have no football IQ it doesn’t matter if they run 4.2’s, they’re gonna get beat.

Name the fastest corner you’ve ever seen play & I’ll guarantee I can recall a series he got beat bad for a TD, even the GOAT Deion Sanders as fast as he was has gotten beat by guys who ran slower 40 times than him.

Football is not track, there are transferable qualities that is good to have between the two, but at the end of day the gridiron game is about mental acuity, toughness & knowing when to know what to do more than isolated physical metrics.

Richard Sherman dominated the league from 2012-2016 & he was barely a 4.56 more so on the 4.6 side on average, but his IQ & technique separated him.

I’m NOT saying speed doesn’t matter or isn’t valuable, I’m saying speed by itself is useless, you need speed AND all the other sh*t too lol, just being fast without good technique just means you’ll get to the end zone quicker after you blow coverage & your man scores on you lol
Darrell Green was so smooth!!!
The fluidity in his hips was scary. He was silky smooth but that is part of the reason for his longevity. The man was allegedly still running 4.4s at the end of his career. It is a balance between them all. Everyone gets beat every now and then and that is what makes it fun. You can be the fastest, best technician or the smartest but in sports everyone gets beat. We just need to find a happy middle with ours.

Semper Canes!!!

Advertisement
No.

"But if they’re not technically sound & have no football IQ it doesn’t matter if they run 4.2’s, they’re gonna get beat."

That right there says it all..... Let's hope Manny understands this not just with CB/DB but with the entire D....

He showed functional athleticism in high school and last season unlike some of the upperclassmen incumbents at the position. If he gets more confident triggering routes as a deep safety he'll be a good player. There was a play against Clemson - I think the Ladson drop - where he was flat footed and lagged breaking on the ball. That's to be expected for a true freshman but he doesn't have the makeup speed to get away with it.

Advertisement
I was not very excited about his recruitment. His film didn't really impress me, he had good testing numbers but his track times were abysmal, and I judge DBs by their track times. Our only real competition for him was Louisville, who recruit every kid in South Florida that has muscles & looks mean. The staff saw him at Paradise, where he apparently put on a clinic, but at the time in 2019 I didn't trust the staff's talent evaluation skills.

Boy was I wrong! In the sample size we saw in 2020 he was very impressive. There's a difference between an athlete & a football player, and he showed that he was the latter. He showed great skills in coverage & could step up in run support. I am very excited about his future in our program & won't be surprised at all if he finds himself taking snaps from Bubba/Hall/Carter in 2021. This is a Brian Balom appreciation thread.
I’m not that excited about balom , I need to see more , soon as he got in the game against Clemson it was bombs over Baghdad but he was also a true freshman so it was understandable.

Advertisement
Back