Biggest Overachievers and Underachievers 2018

Advertisement
you see where Richt was on that list? below Golden, does less with more, optimally.

Al Golden was much worse than Mark Richt! Mark did many great things for The U! Al, though handed a stacked deck by Donna Shalalala, did not do much (or anything with what he had. Plus he's suing The U. Unacceptable!!

Their respective results based on the on-field cards they had are what's being compared, nothing else. This also includes Richt's tenure at UGA and Golden's at Temple. Keep it movin

Advertisement
Obviously I'd like to not be on that list, but it gives some confidence heading into this year. The foundation for the team to be pretty good is there because the team played at a pretty good level last year.

Their respective results based on the on-field cards they had are what's being compared, nothing else. This also includes Richt's tenure at UGA and Golden's at Temple. Keep it movin

All told, though, the guy is right. Richt left the program in a much better place than he found it. The same actually can also be said of Golden, although Golden really left a lot of dead weight on the roster.

Overall, Richt brought a certain amount of respect back to the program and did a much better job stocking the roster with talent. Golden may have actually gotten more out of the talent that he had, but he should also be held responsible for some poor recruiting.

I get that the article is purely about on-field performance, but that's also not the full story.

Crazy to think back on how dark things were for us 8 years ago when Golden was a new coach and the Shapiro thing erupted. It may not feel like it as we're not getting the results and consistency we want on the field, but **** we've come a long way from there. Let's just hope Manny can put the pieces together and we can take this thing up to the next plateau of at least being able to consistently count on 10 win seasons, starting with this year.

All told, though, the guy is right. Richt left the program in a much better place than he found it. The same actually can also be said of Golden, although Golden really left a lot of dead weight on the roster.

Overall, Richt brought a certain amount of respect back to the program and did a much better job stocking the roster with talent. Golden may have actually gotten more out of the talent that he had, but he should also be held responsible for some poor recruiting.

I get that the article is purely about on-field performance, but that's also not the full story.

Crazy to think back on how dark things were for us 8 years ago when Golden was a new coach and the Shapiro thing erupted. It may not feel like it as we're not getting the results and consistency we want on the field, but **** we've come a long way from there. Let's just hope Manny can put the pieces together and we can take this thing up to the next plateau of at least being able to consistently count on 10 win seasons, starting with this year.

Fam, in totality, I respectfully disagree. Attrition, roster management, facilities, cloud; all of that does not correlate across Richt's respective career. What are the excuses at UGA? Year over year, he had more talent in 11 out of 12/ 12 out of 13 games per year and underperformed in what, 13 out of 15 seasons? Whatever, he's gone and retired, so throwing respect his way. Don't want to throw anymore shade, just an indictment of overall view of him as a top tier coach.

Advertisement
Fam, in totality, I respectfully disagree. Attrition, roster management, facilities, cloud; all of that does not correlate across Richt's respective career. What are the excuses at UGA? Year over year, he had more talent in 11 out of 12/ 12 out of 13 games per year and underperformed in what, 13 out of 15 seasons? Whatever, he's gone and retired, so throwing respect his way. Don't want to throw anymore shade, just an indictment of overall view of him as a top tier coach.

I get where you're coming from, but not where you think we disagree. I said that Golden got more out of less talent, and Richt got less out of more talent.

I don't really think there's room at this point to argue that Richt, over the course of his career, has maximized the game day output of his teams. He consistently lost games to less talented teams with fewer resources.

All I'm saying is that while Richt should get slammed for losing games to far less talented teams, and maybe Golden gets bashed a little more than he should given the circumstances he had to deal with, Richt should also get more credit than he sometimes does for the off-the-field accomplishments such as IPF, community outreach, re-building relationships with local coaches, and talent evaluation and recruiting. Golden, while getting credit for doing more with less, should also be held to account for his poor talent evaluation and recruiting, and especially for his poor handling of his coaching staff.

End of the day, I don't think we really disagree so much as I'm just adding dimensions to the conversation saying there is more to stewardship of the program than whether you win more or less than S&P+ says you should. I'll take a coach who goes 14-1 every year when S&P+ says he should go 15-0 every single time over a guy who goes 8-4 when S&P+ says he should be going 6-6. The first guy may be "underachieving", but he's bringing in the talent (players and coaches) that sets the bar of expectations high.

Cheers, man. Not looking to argue at all, just trying to clarify what I'm trying to say.

I get where you're coming from, but not where you think we disagree. I said that Golden got more out of less talent, and Richt got less out of more talent.

I don't really think there's room at this point to argue that Richt, over the course of his career, has maximized the game day output of his teams. He consistently lost games to less talented teams with fewer resources.

All I'm saying is that while Richt should get slammed for losing games to far less talented teams, and maybe Golden gets bashed a little more than he should given the circumstances he had to deal with, Richt should also get more credit than he sometimes does for the off-the-field accomplishments such as IPF, community outreach, re-building relationships with local coaches, and talent evaluation and recruiting. Golden, while getting credit for doing more with less, should also be held to account for his poor talent evaluation and recruiting, and especially for his poor handling of his coaching staff.

End of the day, I don't think we really disagree so much as I'm just adding dimensions to the conversation saying there is more to stewardship of the program than whether you win more or less than S&P+ says you should. I'll take a coach who goes 14-1 every year when S&P+ says he should go 15-0 every single time over a guy who goes 8-4 when S&P+ says he should be going 6-6. The first guy may be "underachieving", but he's bringing in the talent (players and coaches) that sets the bar of expectations high.

Cheers, man. Not looking to argue at all, just trying to clarify what I'm trying to say.

Well said! We were never arguing, love the dialogue.

Interesting, I suppose all the Haters will be out in force over the seasons thing. I didn’t know Richt failed in only 1 of his seasons from a preseason ranking perspective. Boy last year truly felt and seemed like 2 seasons rolled into one. I appreciate Richt more for his off the field performances than his on the field coaching.

Advertisement
Al Golden was much worse than Mark Richt! Mark did many great things for The U! Al, though handed a stacked deck by Donna Shalalala, did not do much (or anything with what he had. Plus he's suing The U. Unacceptable!!
No he was not. Richt was arguably worse. His first year he lost 4 straight games with a team that had 10 players get drafted. Richt is a certified clown and one of the biggest con artist in America. He was getting paid 4 Million dollars to drive Miami straight in the dirt, and he was doing a **** of a job at at.

Advertisement
“He will lay in it.”

Lmao.

Grow up dude, he’s gone.
I invest too much into Canes football to not acknowledge the worst coaching job anyone has ever seen. I can create a list of quotes that would have peewee coaches laughing in disgust. Tired of the losing and getting blown out, hopefully it stops starting now.

I invest too much into Canes football to not acknowledge the worst coaching job anyone has ever seen. I can create a list of quotes that would have peewee coaches laughing in disgust. Tired of the losing and getting blown out, hopefully it stops starting now.

If you're as invested in the team as much as you say you are, you'd know he didn't do the worst coaching job anyone has ever seen. We've had far worse here over the last 15 years.

His time came, he realized it and he left gracefully. You should be thanking, not bashing him for that. The list of coaches who lack that self awareness and would have hung on til the bitter end is far greater than the ones who left the way he did.

Get out of your feelings long enough to understand that and just move on.

If you're as invested in the team as much as you say you are, you'd know he didn't do the worst coaching job anyone has ever seen. We've had far worse here over the last 15 years.

His time came, he realized it and he left gracefully. You should be thanking, not bashing him for that. The list of coaches who lack that self awareness and would have hung on til the bitter end is far greater than the ones who left the way he did.

Get out of your feelings long enough to understand that and just move on.
Are you aware there are rumors he refused to fire his unqualified son which played a part into him stepping down? If true I would go ahead and put him in the lack of self awareness department. **** him calling plays from 30 years ago already puts him there. He’s a clown.

[
Are you aware there are rumors he refused to fire his unqualified son which played a part into him stepping down? If true I would go ahead and put him in the lack of self awareness department. **** him calling plays from 30 years ago already puts him there. He’s a clown.

I don't care about rumors and even if true, it's irrelevant because he didn't do it.

He retired.

But you sound very personally hurt, so you do your thing. It seems like if makes you feel better for some reason.

Advertisement
Back