Best defense... Memory of some of the toughest games ever

Memory of some of the toughest games ever played

Sitting here... thinking back to some of the best defensive games that left me totally exhausted at the end of the game... one of my top five... It was CHAOS all night long.... 2003, Miami 22 /West Virginia 20 without question, this game was a defensive and offensive war on both sides of the trench for both teams.

Remember "The Catch" by Winslow 4th and 19 , down by a point, with a couple of minutes left... score 20/19miami. There were more forced fumbles, guys getting hurt, broken bones and blood on the field then I can remember... mostly all field goals and maybe 1-2 TD in the game... IT WAS WAR and last man standing wins!

Good high-lites but see the whole game is believing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTPBqlbHDvc

Best defense ??? Arguably maybe, maybe not, but one of the best games.. **** yeah, this is close to the top.

Check the 2003 roster
Miami (FL) Hurricanes Roster - 2003 Team Roster | FOX Sports

Last edited:
Advertisement
We should have never been in a nailbiter with a 1-3 West Virginia team at home with that kind of roster talent. For gods sake, I thought I was watching an Al Golden defensive effort when West Virginia's running back took that screen to the house deep in the 4th quarter. Howerver, great post and I did enjoy watching those clips of Winslow manhandle the opposition.

The Hillbilly's came loaded for bear and had every intention of BBQing our *** over the fire and we gave it back as hard as they gave it... no body walked away from the game without scraps, busted knuckles, I think Gore's leg was broken or busted up in the game, a concussion or two, players laid out on the side lines...

What a game... CANES WIN !!!

Watched in a strip club in Cocoa Beach / great games aren't always part of championship seasons- that was a classic and Winslow was a God among boys in college ...

My best memory of a stout defense was long ago in another world when the Canes pounced on Oak-la-homa and the Boz all day long..

Advertisement
The 2003 defense and 2001 defense were both great although the 2002 defense underachieved with the talent we had, especially at the end of the year.

The 2003 offense, especially the red zone offense, prevented NC contention.

In 1992 we beat a good, and rising Arizona Wildcat team headed up by **** Tomey. Their Defense was called the "Desert Swarm" and led by Teddy Bruschi. That year they held a Cane Offense featuring a Heisman winning QB and a trio of WR's named Thomas, Williams, and Copeland, to just 8 points. Fortunately our D featured guys like Russell Maryland and that fabulous trio of Linebackers: Barrow, Smith, and Armstead, and we held them to just 7 points. We lose that game and we don't play for a title that year. ( I know we lost to 'Bama, but we were there) In the last 30 years, it was the worst nail-biter I can remember, we were supposed to kill AZ, and were it not for the D, we would have lost. They would get some payback in the Fiesta Bowl the following year as the Canes suffered heavily from graduation and would go 9-2.

Advertisement
Back