Beat the #@% out of Duke

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
I really hope the team comes out and knocks Duke flat on its ****. I know, I know, we have nothing to play for, but other teams get up for games when they have nothing to play for all the time. In 1981 we weren't bowl eligible and crushed Notre Dame in our final game 37-15, treating it as a bowl game. I hope the team realizes that it laid an egg last year, and at least plays for pride and themselves, if not the administration that self imposed.

I know a lot of posters on here think it's cool to say "who cares, blah, blah, blah" but these are 18-22 year old kids. Hopefully they do care, and if they do, so should we.

Two reasons I think this might be different than last year:

1. We can still finish in first for the Coastal
2. Last year we had more seniors and guys thinking of leaving early. This year we have guys who WILL be around next year, and the years to follow. This is part of their legacy, and hopefully they realize it.

Advertisement
If Ohio State can get up for "meaningless" games then so can we. Crush them and leave no doubt.

Exactly, or a team like BC last year when we couldn't. I never understood why other teams, 2-9 teams, or whatever could get sky high, but our guys couldn't. It goes back along time too. I remember an interview with Darren Klein after Miami lost to WVU in 1993, when a reported told him if WVU lost, Miami could still win the Big East, and he basically said who cares, and the team went out to struggle with Rutgers, Memphis State and was embarrassed 29-0 in the Fiesta Bowl against Arizona. I know a lot of posters agree with this, but that's cr@p. If you're not playing for a national title, you play for pride. If you're not playing for a conference title, you play for pride, your school, your teammates, your fans, etc.

Exactly, or a team like BC last year when we couldn't. I never understood why other teams, 2-9 teams, or whatever could get sky high, but our guys couldn't. It goes back along time too. I remember an interview with Darren Klein after Miami lost to WVU in 1993, when a reported told him if WVU lost, Miami could still win the Big East, and he basically said who cares, and the team went out to struggle with Rutgers, Memphis State and was embarrassed 29-0 in the Fiesta Bowl against Arizona. I know a lot of posters agree with this, but that's cr@p. If you're not playing for a national title, you play for pride. If you're not playing for a conference title, you play for pride, your school, your teammates, your fans, etc.

Word

Advertisement
Back