Baxa Leg Strength

bubbabaxa.jpg

Advertisement
Baxa was pretty good for a true freshman kicker. I'm not sure if some of you guys watch any college football besides Miami but most college kickers, even at the best schools, aren't near NFL quality. Of the 130 (or whatever) FBS starting kickers out there, maybe one will have a pro career. What's considered automatic for an NFL kicker is often a 50/50 chance for most college kickers.

this.

mentally, and technique wise, was he carlos huerta as a freshman? no, but not many are.

but he has a strong leg, and a quick motion. if he gets it right between the ears, he's going to be good and win games for us.

baxa reminds me of a guy like todd sievers. was a HS all American because of his leg strength. when he first got to UM, he was so wild, you couldn't be sure his own turds would drop in between the sides of the bowl. same thing with bosher. could punt from day one, but couldn't make a FG his first year he got to campus unless you let him try and punt it through the uprights from 20 yards away.

but both ended up being one of the 2 or 3 best all around kickers in college football by the time they left.

let this one play out a bit.

Confidence represents > 50% of the total equation (i.e. game location, OL blocking, snapper, holder, environmental conditions & kicker's mental state/confidence). If a kicker is confident, the individual has a much better probability of making the kick (all else being normal). I believe that Buba has a good enough leg to make kicks of > 45 yards with consistent accuracy, BUT he needs to build his confidence. This is where a good kicking coach can be a difference maker in turning a good kicker into a great one.

Completely agree that confidence is key. There are people on here who think confidence has nothing to do with a player producing on the field. I told them confidence has everything to do with every aspect of a players game.

Advertisement
The good soccer players' coaches don't let them play other sports.
Eh, you don't get full ride athletic scholarships for soccer. You do for kicking footballs.

Good points......we as fans tend to think that KO's, FG's and PA's are automatic.
It is not, and it is a huge head game, along with weather, and turf conditions Playing major roles..
Nothing is a given in this part of the game, and one misstep, wrong approach, and angled set up, can make huge problems for the kicker.
Baxa may need some seasoning, but as was stated he is very serviceable.

Eh, you don't get full ride athletic scholarships for soccer. You do for kicking footballs.
I agree, their coaches don't give a ****. However, some players do sign contracts.

Look at Piniero from UF, dude started his football career as a senior in HS. A lot of the families don't have any interest in football. They don't know football, like football, care for football, and don't realize kicking is as valued as it is. Too bad Miami won't ever have a men's soccer team.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Baxa slander has got to stop. For a true freshman that got here in June he was very good. Lol at questioning his confidence because he missed in his first ever game in Jerry world against LSU on his first career attempt or 2nd attempt. I was drunk idk. Of his other 2 misses he slipped and fell in a monsoon trying to kick a 40+ yarder out of a puddle. That play made me laugh because Richt attempted to kick a field goal right there. Also questioning him for missing off the upright in the spring game yet he went 8-10 in 3 scrimmages and I heard he hit from like 54 in one of them.

He’ll be just fine. Stop thinking college kickers are NFL kickers. There’s a wide gap and we’ve been lucky as **** the last 6+ years at kicker.

Advertisement
I think Baxa needs to gain more confidence. The only two clutch kicks he attempted last year, he missed. Missed one against LSU and missed a 28yd FG with 5 minutes left vs FSU. I think he is like 1/3 from 40+ yards. He's definitely got the leg but he needs to be confident that he's going to hit the kick.

He absolutely needs more confidence. I thought the kid was going have a panic attack every time he lined up for a kick last season. Andy Crosland was the definition of confidence in the mid-nineties in comparison to Baxa.

Advertisement
Back