Basketball vs. Charleston

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
I know no one cares, but we're up 40-14 early in the 2nd (it was 30-12 at the half). We'll be 10-3 heading into ACC play and we get Cruz-Uceda back in a couple of weeks. Hopefully we can start to play like we did early in the year, break even in the ACC and sneak into the dance.

BUTCH DAVIS (sorry, felt right)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Charleston was awful. 9-9 in the ACC and one win in the ACC tourney should get us in. If we can somehow start 2-2 in the ACC that would be great.

A bit of relief to see the team sort of come out of that tail spin and end the year with a win. 10-3. Not so bad. Beat Florida (at Florida) and Illinois but those wins are not looking as good as I thought they would. ACC season now starts with Virginia on the 3rd.

Advertisement
our resume does not look very good right now, we probably need more like 11 or 12 conference wins and a couple in the conference tourney. especially because we play a relatively easy acc schedule, i think we play fsu and wake twice

Just looked at our RPI. It's 92. We probably need at least 10, maybe 11 ACC wins to be on the bubble.

Canyon Barry was brutal for College of Charleston. Absolutely brutal. He had no business being in that game. I wonder if the coach feels pressure to give him so many minutes?

Barry would dribble tamely without impact on the perimeter and never threaten to penetrate or even look for an inside pass. Then he would pick up his dribble and pass meekly to somebody even further removed from the basket than he was. This went on without variation the entire game. Barry never scored, nor seriously threatened to.

Sad because that program had a good run in the past decade or more. Now they are no threat to score against competent opponents. They were very fortunate to put up a late 40 against the Canes.

That matchup with Charleston was a terrible warmup for the Virginia game a few days later. It was guaranteed shell shock for the Canes early in the game given the vastly different level of opponent.

BTW, Rick Barry attended the Charleston game. He received a mixture of cheers and boos once he was shown onscreen wearing a Charleston T shirt.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back