Baseball America talks David Thompson

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
Found this while reading up on some Texas Rangers stuff, dumb luck, from the Q&A Session:

When I looked at BA's preseason High School All-America teams, I was surprised that Westminster Christian (Palmetto Bay, Fla.) third baseman David Thompson wasn't on any of the three squads. He made the second team as a sophomore and the first team as a junior last year. Has he regressed?

David Fackrell
Eugene, Ore.

I turned this question over to assistant editor Nathan Rode, who oversees our high school coverage. Here's Nathan's response:

Though he has yet to play his senior season, Thompson already holds the record for career homers by a Florida high schooler, with 44. The previous mark of 42 was set by Prince Fielder, who was drafted seventh overall out of Eau Gallie HS (Melbourne) in 2002.

Thompson made our postseason All-America teams as a sophomore and junior but has been left off our preseason teams. That's simply because there are different processes for selecting those squads. Our preseason teams are selected by scouting directors, so pro potential has a big influence on them. The postseason squads are selected by BA editors based on their spring performances.

Scouts likely left Thompson off their preseason ballots because of where he ranks among third basemen (he's No. 69 overall on our High School Top 100 Prospects list Premium) and his own profile. He's a good prospect but there are other third basemen who offer higher upside.

Thompson's bat stays in the zone a long time and he has good strength and a quick swing that allow him to have power to all fields. Defensively, he's passable at third base and has a solid arm, but he could move to first base or an outfield corner down the line. He's also a star quarterback and would play both sports if he ends up at Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back