Athletic player rankings article

Agree that all these are off, even if I don't totally agree with your rankings/assessments.

Love Knighton (see below), but he is a scatback. Above Don is crazy.

Bolden is a stud, and with more help around him he should look that much better.

Blades in top 5 is a stretch.

Chase Smith... need to see live bullets, but from spring reports, No. 45 is off. Same with Balom (yeah, saw some last year, but need to see more).

Keontra is about right, as of right now. Potential to be top 10.

Agreed, 100%. Both would be 3rd/4th options on a contender. These rankings are absurd.

Disagree with both of these. They both pop off the screen. Knighton's issue will be workload. Tae... I'm driving the bus.
Blades was one of the best press corners in the nation as a Soph. If he returns to health and the scheme works more in his favor he absolutely has that potential.

Keontra had real moments last year and looked awesome on Saturday. Tae hasn't proven himself yet and his hockey-hit style was the main culprit for Knighton's long TD.

Speaking of Knighton if he's the 3rd best back on the team he's not a top 10 guy. I'd probably have him in the ~25 range until he shows more power or makes guys miss in space more.

Advertisement
Blades was one of the best press corners in the nation as a Soph. If he returns to health and the scheme works more in his favor he absolutely has that potential.

Keontra had real moments last year and looked awesome on Saturday. Tae hasn't proven himself yet and his hockey-hit style was the main culprit for Knighton's long TD.

Speaking of Knighton if he's the 3rd best back on the team he's not a top 10 guy. I'd probably have him in the ~25 range until he shows more power or makes guys miss in space more.
Rewatch the Knighton TD. I only count 10 defenders on the field. Ivey should’ve made the play. Yeah, Tae took a bad angle, but that play should’ve been made by Ivey.

If anything, I’ll give Knighton credit for having an extra gear.

Attachments

• F593A52B-6BDA-4EDB-AAFA-768ED2C9F8B7.png
    F593A52B-6BDA-4EDB-AAFA-768ED2C9F8B7.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Rewatch the Knighton TD. I only count 10 defenders on the field. Ivey should’ve made the play. Yeah, Tae took a bad angle, but that play should’ve been made by Ivey.

If anything, I’ll give Knighton credit for having an extra gear.
I didn't absolve Ivey of blame. If you read my writeup on the game I noted his poor run defense and so did DMoney. Regardless that's not acceptable tackling technique from Tae and I'm not confident about him filling alleys yet.

Anyways safeties are difficult to evaluate (in coverage) because it can take several games before you have enough sample size to gauge their coverage skills. We don't really know how good or bad Tae, Balom and Kinchens are in coverage just yet. Well we know Kinchens can't man cover but that should never be asked of him.

The list was kind of weird, but the most telling quote was from the ACC offensive assistant. He said Miami's strength was its run defense until Shaq and Pinckney left. It's amazing how many fans took those guys for granted.
Going from decent to pathetic certainly is a noticeable drop off.

Advertisement
Back