Ashton Morgan - OL in Transfer Portal

I’m not sure if this name has been brought up yet or not. Ashton Morgan is a 6’5 305lb OT from UNLV who just entered in to the transfer portal. Garin Justice comes from UNLV obviously so there is some familiarity.

Ashton Morgan was barely ranked (2 star) as a recruit out of high school. He apparently started 4 games in 2019 and has only played in a total of 14 games in his career. However, I would imagine that Justice has the inside scoop on if this guy can play or not. He is immediately eligible and has 2 years of eligibility remaining according to him. Once spring ball gets underway and our new coaches see what we’ve got, I wouldn’t be shocked if this was someone we took a look at.

I am not sure if this guy is an upgrade at any spot on our OL or if it would be another Tommy Kennedy situation, but I just wanted to relay the name as one to keep an eye on due to the obvious connection to our OL coach.

Advertisement
I’m not sure if this name has been brought up yet or not. Ashton Morgan is a 6’5 305lb OT from UNLV who just entered in to the transfer portal. Garin Justice comes from UNLV obviously so there is some familiarity.

Ashton Morgan was barely ranked (2 star) as a recruit out of high school. He apparently started 4 games in 2019 and has only played in a total of 14 games in his career. However, I would imagine that Justice has the inside scoop on if this guy can play or not. He is immediately eligible and has 2 years of eligibility remaining according to him. Once spring ball gets underway and our new coaches see what we’ve got, I wouldn’t be shocked if this was someone we took a look at.

I am not sure if this guy is an upgrade at any spot on our OL or if it would be another Tommy Kennedy situation, but I just wanted to relay the name as one to keep an eye on due to the obvious connection to our OL coach.

Just that picture alone is a big NO!!!

Just that picture alone is a big NO!!!
Lol he looks better in pads..

1580241202034.jpeg
1580241168148.jpeg

1580241245772.jpeg

Again, I wonder if there is ANY chance you can get some of these guys as nonscholarship players? Can they get financial aid for grad school tuition (if allowed per NCAA rules)? Can a booster set them up in a sweet Coral Gables condo for $50/month?

Advertisement
Again, I wonder if there is ANY chance you can get some of these guys as nonscholarship players? Can they get financial aid for grad school tuition (if allowed per NCAA rules)? Can a booster set them up in a sweet Coral Gables condo for $50/month?

Ive said these many times. Grad Transfers should only count against the 85 and not the Initial 25 hard cap. Imagine if King, Roche, and Borregales only counted against the 85. That would be 3 more initials we could use.

Ive said these many times. Grad Transfers should only count against the 85 and not the Initial 25 hard cap. Imagine if King, Roche, and Borregales only counted against the 85. That would be 3 more initials we could use.
makes too much sense for the NCAA. On one hand, perhaps it makes policy sense to discourage TOO many transfers. But on the other hand, for graduate transfers only, a kid that paid his dues and got the schoolwork done should not be penalized at all.

Advertisement
If he couldn’t start more than 4 games at UNLV it’s usually a good indication he wouldn’t start at higher level schools either. A guy can hope his old coach likes him but that would be a major misstep by Justice.

I used to agree with that but changed my tune lately bc it could easily turn into grad transfer free agency to highest bidder and restocking teams who recruit horribly year after year for 1 year NC runs.

I think grad transfers should count as ICs unless a team is under a certain total scholarship number. If they are, they should get a waiver for a few grad transfers in order to get to that minimum number and be competitive. Maybe that’s 75. Maybe it’s 78. Or maybe it’s not a lower limit but a rule that any team 10+ (Or pick another number) scholarship players under 85 can sign 2 grad transfer without IC impact.

If he couldn’t start more than 4 games at UNLV it’s usually a good indication he wouldn’t start at higher level schools either. A guy can hope his old coach likes him but that would be a major misstep by Justice.
I agree with what you are saying, but he was in line to be the starter this year as a junior. I just think there could be a possibility that Justice feels good about what he saw behind the scenes. Just a guess/observation, the guy could be cheeks I don’t know I’ve never seen him play, just wanted to bring his name up as someone to keep an eye on.

I used to agree with that but changed my tune lately bc it could easily turn into grad transfer free agency to highest bidder and restocking teams who recruit horribly year after year for 1 year NC runs.

I think grad transfers should count as ICs unless a team is under a certain total scholarship number. If they are, they should get a waiver for a few grad transfers in order to get to that minimum number and be competitive. Maybe that’s 75. Maybe it’s 78. Or maybe it’s not a lower limit but a rule that any team 10+ (Or pick another number) scholarship players under 85 can sign 2 grad transfer without IC impact.

See my thinking is this

1. If a kid graduated and still has eligibility, he has already paid his dues and shouldnt be restricted on what school he wants to attend because schools are low on initials. That is why I feel he should only count towards the 85. But in order to limit schools from loading up in Grad transfers they need to have 90% of the Hard cap 25 or 21 signees in December before they can take 1 grad transfer. That will make sure schools still focus on incoming recruits(HS, Prep, JUCO, Undergrad Transfers) before heading to the Grad Transfer pool. Also I would cap the amount of grad transfers you can bring in per season to 8 with 2 for 2 grad transfers counting both years.

2. I also feel schools should get a compensatory initial for every scholorship kid that transferred but did not graduate with a max of 5 compensatory initials. So no Virginia Tech, you will not get 14 initials under my rules.

3. With the current rules it is difficult for schools to use their 85 limit and if the NCAA doesnt change it then they should lower the football scholarship limit down 5 to 80.

4. Also a kid HAS to be a graduate before declared a grad transfer.

I mean lets take Miami for example with the current class included Miami is at 72 scholarships. If by my rules, we would be able to add 8 grad transfers and then another 5 compensatory initials because we had 5 undergrad transfers out of the program.

edit: 5. No waivers for undergrad transfers at all. But transfers dont lose a year if they have already redshirted.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree with #3 and #4. A tweak is definitely needed. It's not just a Miami thing, Stanford is getting killed as well.

I don't agree with #2 of a compensatory initial for transfer. That could potentially lead to the same issue we had before with schools pushing kids out in order to get more recruits. It could in ways defeat the purpose of the 25 ICs. FSU needs a starting OT? Lets push out that 3rd string sophomore in order to take the Vandy kid and sign a full class.

I agree with #3 and #4. A tweak is definitely needed. It's not just a Miami thing, Stanford is getting killed as well.

I don't agree with #2 of a compensatory initial for transfer. That could potentially lead to the same issue we had before with schools pushing kids out in order to get more recruits. It could in ways defeat the purpose of the 25 ICs. FSU needs a starting OT? Lets push out that 3rd string sophomore in order to take the Vandy kid and sign a full class.

Sometimes you gotta take the good and the bad. And I forgot to add, no waivers for undergrad transfers.

Advertisement
Back