As Crazy as it Sounds, Penos Was Worse than Nix!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 23667
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23667

Did some number crunching. Dan Penos was actually worse statistically than Patrick Nix:

YPG/Total Offense
Nix 2007: 315.1 YPG / 111th nationally
Nix 2008: 326 YPG / 89th nationally
Penos 2019: 367.9 / 99th nationally

PPG
Nix 2007: 20.6 PPG / 102nd nationally
Nix 2008: 27.1 PPG / 51st nationally
Penos 2019: 25.7 PPG / 89th nationally

Given the above, Penos only outperformed Nix in YPG--by over 40 yards mind you--but in a more offensive-minded era where that was only good enough for 99th nationally, whereas Nix's 2008 offense was ranked ten places above at 89th.

When you look at points though--arguably a better metric, because points wins games, not yards--then Nix was clearly better (51st ranking nationally vs. 89th).

But also consider this: Miami's SOS in 2008 was ranked 30th. In 2019, 63rd. So Nix outperformed Penos against more difficult competition.

And here is the most decisive factor: Penos inherited an offense loaded with blue chip talent at the QB, WR, RB, and TE position. Nix inherited a God-awful mess on offense and had to start a bunch of rookies and sophomores.

Given the above, as ridiculous as it sounds, Nix is no longer the worse OC in Miami history. That honor belongs to none other than Dan Patrick Penos.

Note: the college football season isn't over, so the 2019 team rankings might change somewhat between now and the end of bowl season, but only marginally since they are based on averages.

Advertisement
Enos does NOT have a bluechip QB at Miami. He has some really badly evaluated QBs.

Advertisement
He is hands down the worst OC in Miami history.

He is right up there for worst coordinator ever with Dorito.

And Manny paid him 1.5 million.
And posted a homerun gif when he hired him.

LMAO

Enos does NOT have a bluechip QB at Miami. He has some really badly evaluated QBs.
I don't know about that.. how can all three of the QBs be busts??? It just doesn't make sense. One I would believe, two maybe, but all three? That points to a systemic problem and the people running the show, not the players.

I don't know about that.. how can all three of the QBs be busts??? It just doesn't make sense. One I would believe, two maybe, but all three? That points to a systemic problem and the people running the show, not the players.
Think about it. How many DECENT QBs has UM had over the last 15 years? It doesn't surprise me at all that we don't have a decent QB on the roster when we've only had a couple decent ones in the last 15 years.

Advertisement
Did some number crunching. Dan Penos was actually worse statistically than Patrick Nix:

YPG/Total Offense
Nix 2007: 315.1 YPG / 111th nationally
Nix 2008: 326 YPG / 89th nationally
Penos 2019: 367.9 / 99th nationally

PPG
Nix 2007: 20.6 PPG / 102nd nationally
Nix 2008: 27.1 PPG / 51st nationally
Penos 2019: 25.7 PPG / 89th nationally

Given the above, Penos only outperformed Nix in YPG--by over 40 yards mind you--but in a more offensive-minded era where that was only good enough for 99th nationally, whereas Nix's 2008 offense was ranked ten places above at 89th.

When you look at points though--arguably a better metric, because points wins games, not yards--then Nix was clearly better (51st ranking nationally vs. 89th).

But also consider this: Miami's SOS in 2008 was ranked 30th. In 2019, 63rd. So Nix outperformed Penos against more difficult competition.

And here is the most decisive factor: Penos inherited an offense loaded with blue chip talent at the QB, WR, RB, and TE position. Nix inherited a God-awful mess on offense and had to start a bunch of rookies and sophomores.

Given the above, as ridiculous as it sounds, Nix is no longer the worse OC in Miami history. That honor belongs to none other than Dan Patrick Penos.

Note: the college football season isn't over, so the 2019 team rankings might change somewhat between now and the end of bowl season, but only marginally since they are based on averages.

I mean Enos was garbage, but this isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Never thought I'd see the say I'd clamor for a Robert Marve / Jacory Harris tandem at quarterback, Graig Cooper / Javarris James running the ball and Farquharson, Johnson, Hankerson and Benjamin catching the ball.

Fox, Figueroa, Pipho, Franklin, Rutledge, Byrd, Youngblood, Trump, Shannon—those guys look like worldbeaters on the offensive line, in comparison to these frauds who dressed out this fall.

What we thought was rock bottom offensively—talent-wise—in 2008; that crew would run circles around these current nobodies—Dallas and Jordan, obviously excluded.

This is not crazy. Enos is the worse OC we’ve ever had
Rich Olsen in 2006 statistically had the most regressive offense, followed by Year 1 of Patrick Nix. And Year 2 of Patrick Nix featured that abominable final drive at the Sun Bowl. All of that was worse than what we've seen this year.

That said, Olsen and Nix (in year 1) were limited by personnel. Larry Coker's horrendous recruiting efforts at wide receiver and quarterback were virtual sanctions on the Miami program (five wide receivers signed in four years....really!?). We entered the 2006 with just six scholarship wide receivers, and were converting cornerbacks and punters. Personnel wise, we truly were built at that point to only run a triple option offense. Randy Shannon had to sign something to the effect of six wide receivers in the 2008 class to make up for all of the misses. Meanwhile Enos in theory did not have those personnel limitations, but did inherit the worst offensive line in modern Miami history. The 1997 Hurricanes would probably run circles around this group.

How Enos' schemes compare to those of Nix or Olsen - perhaps you all can answer who was better.

He is hands down the worst OC in Miami history.

He is right up there for worst coordinator ever with Dorito.

And Manny paid him 1.5 million.
And posted a homerun gif when he hired him.

LMAO
He's definitely the offensive version of D'No. At least they got rid of him swiftly though. Imagine if Golden would've had the balls.

Advertisement
He's definitely the offensive version of D'No. At least they got rid of him swiftly though. Imagine if Golden would've had the balls.

Coaches fire outsiders, but they don't fire their buddies. Let's see what Manny does with his loser defensive staph. I predict not much.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back