Another analogy for Richt's offense

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
Hey guys - I posted this in the "fast break" thread, but the comparison is interesting enough that I thought I might start a separate one. Forgive the self-indulgence.

On a lark, I started re-watching the FCS Championship game between North Dakota State and Jacksonville State. I teach at JSU and my wife is an NDSU alum, so I have a semi-vested interest in both teams you could say. As I watched the game again, I had kind of an "ah-ha" moment as it relates to Richt's offense and TEMPO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eViEvsFkGcY

Here are the Cliff's Notes version of that game:

- NDSU ran 82 plays (51 rush, 31 pass)
- Their offense is "pro-style" in the same way that Richt's is - no fancy formations, just lots of I form, single back, and shotgun 3-4-5 WR with motion
- They established the run very early and wore down JSU's defense, taking their speed advantage away completely and by halftime it was 24-0
- They moved at a very quick tempo (hence the 82 plays) but not always hurry-up
- Even the run (zone) and pass (shallow cross) concepts are similar to Richt's

I really think that NDSU team under Wentz, particularly this game, is an apt analogy for what Richt will want to do here at Miami. I'd love to hear others' thoughts though.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nice post.

I think Richt will run mostly a pro style fast break. Simple formations with quick and easy play calls and reads for the QB to get Kaaya in a nice rhythm.

In other words, the complete opposite of James Coley with his full spread, bad route trees and stop and stare at the sideline.

Last edited:
Nice post.

I think Richt will run mostly a pro style fast break. Simple formations with quick and easy play calls and reads for the QB to get Kaaya in a nice rhythm.

In other words, the complete opposite of James Coley with his full spread, complex routes and stop and stare at the sideline.

Let the players play. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Will be that much easier to get the young pups up to contribution speed.

Nice post. Thanks for the effort. I am interested to see what Mark does, given the talent we have. With our RBs pass catching skills and Brad at QB, more passing is likely but I expect more under center with run and pass coming out of it. Mark is not the control freak that other guy was, so our players we get to play more and think less -- a good thing on both sides of the ball. Kaaya will have the thinking done for all of them before the game.

Advertisement
Anybody remember Mike Hargrove, when he was a player? They called him the Human Rain Delay, because he would step out of the box after each pitch and go through his OCD routine. Killed the routine, killed the rhythm. Same, Coley.

Nice post.

In other words, the complete opposite of James Coley with his full spread, complex routes and stop and stare at the sideline.

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

I think we'll run a quick hitting offense but richt is a smart man and kaaya has great arm strength. Probably the most under Richt since Stafford was there. I think we'll establish run early a few quick hitches and then a lot of play action bombs like we experienced with Stephen Morris a few years back.

Stephen Morris was an average qb but with arm strength like his he excelled because of our fast wr, I think it'll be even better with kaaya who is a better overall qb

Nice post.

MPFi2xN.gif

Advertisement
I think we'll run a quick hitting offense but richt is a smart man and kaaya has great arm strength. Probably the most under Richt since Stafford was there. I think we'll establish run early a few quick hitches and then a lot of play action bombs like we experienced with Stephen Morris a few years back.

Stephen Morris was an average qb but with arm strength like his he excelled because of our fast wr, I think it'll be even better with kaaya who is a better overall qb

lIQSp56.gif

I love threads like these get info and watch games to get a feel for what Richt want to do

lIQSp56.gif
Hey I admit I'm not a talent scout but with my eyes he does and according to scouts and writers he does too so I thought was fair to post

16 for '16: College football QBs with the strongest arms | NFL.com

lIQSp56.gif
Hey I admit I'm not a talent scout but with my eyes he does and according to scouts and writers he does too so I thought was fair to post

16 for '16: College football QBs with the strongest arms | NFL.com

Kaaya's arm is fine, but I wouldn't categorize it as "great."

Advertisement
Nice post.

View attachment 37974

I didn't mean complex in the sense that each individual route was complex.

I meant complex in that each player seemed to be running routes independent of each other, not all together in rhythm. Instead of crossing patterns, picks, rubs, etc, it was just "hey let's send the X on a go and Y on a wide out and the Z on a hook". There was no cohesion whatsoever, making it harder for guys to get open.

Essentially his route combos were not complex thus making things more complex for the QB.

Poor choice of words on my part in the original post. I've edited it.

Last edited:
Nice post.

View attachment 37974

I didn't mean complex in the sense that each individual route was complex.

I meant complex in that each player seemed to be running routes independent of each other, not all together in rhythm. Instead of crossing patterns, picks, rubs, etc, it was just "hey let's send the X on a go and Y on a wide out and the Z on a hook". There was no cohesion whatsoever, making it harder for guys to get open.

Essentially his route combos were not complex thus making things more complex for the QB.

Poor choice of words on my part in the original post. I've edited it.

tumblr_mo6scbVKqG1rz0m0ao1_500.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back