Analytical approach and game management

Loafers

Sophomore
Purgatory
I feel this staff needs to incorporate some of these skills. Some of their decisions seem off to me. ( not a mope thread just something that interests me) I mentioned some of this in another thread but wanted some discussion here.

First was the kickoff from the 50. Why kick the ball out of the endzone? The right call is either to pop up the kick and pin them really deep or go onside. This was beyond dumb. A team that starts at the 25 scores approx 25% of the time. 15% are Tds and 10% are fgs. If u go onside( since u must kick 10yds, let's assume they get it at the 40) scoring goes up to about 35%. 20% Tds and 15% fgs. When you factor in that surprise onside kicks are recovered approximately 50% of the time and to me this was the right call. But even if u don't like that approach trying to pin them inside the 20 would have been a lot better.

Second, going for 2 up 12. Now I would be ok with going for 2 more Ala Oregon but since that isn't our approach I didn't agree with this call. There is no point in trying to gain points in that situation while winning. You can't play assuming the other team is going to score 2 Tds. By failing u open up duke scoring 2 times and getting a 2 pt conversion and being up 3 meaning a fg only ties. There was too much time left in the game to me to make that call there this could be nitpicking.

Not using a timeout before the half with nearly 2 minutes to go. Coaching scared is weak. I understand that duke wasn't moving the ball, so no point in making a mistake but duke is thinking the same thing. They would have played soft coverage protecting the big play. How many teams give up easy fgs before the half in that situation. You think chip Kelly,spurrier etc let the clock run out. You have an opportunity to score you try especially when duke gets second half kickoff.

Running Gus at the end of the game. By running him into the line was basically conceding and going for the punt. With 1:40 to go and duke with 1 timeout, just take 3 knees and then punt. Duke would have approximately 45seconds needing to score 2 times.

Just little things I noticed that will comeback to beat us against better teams

Advertisement
Staff coaches tight and scared (conservative), kids play tight and scared.

I've been begging for the staff to be aggressive on both sides from the kick to the final whistle. I think the kids will respond, and the D showed that last night.

Move Gus Edwards to fullback, and be done with the tailback experiment. Give him a dive or 2, where he hits the hole, and maybe pops a big gainer, throw him a screen or swing pass, and let him run at tail when the game is over. But Duke and Yearby should be the guys for the rest of the season.

I'm glad Herb reminded the staff how much of a player he is.

IMO, we shouldn't force the ball to any of the WRs or TEs ... Just take what the D gives, because they can't cover everyone. Find the mismatch in man, or the numbers advantage against zone, and throw the ball. How many teams can cover Dorsett, Waters, Coley, Clive, AND Duke on the same play???

Just letting you know, Miami was up 12 points when they went for 2. Duke would have still needed 2 touchdowns to catch up, so that is why we went for it.

Completely agree on the kickoff though. Gotta play for better field position.

For the most part, I agree with the OP. Clock management, by both Golden and Coley, was poor at times.

I'm cautiously optimistic about last night. True we got the W but I still see a lot of things that needs to be touched up. Mainly is the coaching and the approach of the game....

it baffles me that yearby and Duke were averaging 7 yds per carry yet 2nd and 3rd downs instead of keep pounding it we get out of rhythm and decide to Chuck it a couple of times and off the field we go. The game yesterday should have been 52-3....

I have yet to see an Al Golden squad play a complete dominant game where we execute all three sides Offense Defense & Special teams... I'm elated the defense stepped up buuuuuuuuuuuut I've seen this type of performance too many times to have any glimmer of hope the defense plays as well as they did last night, the rest of this season.

Advertisement
understand your point about going for 2 but furthermore, don't go for 2 if ur gonna look like two 90 years olds phucking putting the play together

LOL... complaining about going for 2 seriously??? That was the right call.

You understand by going for 2 it would have put us up by 14.... if we didn't and just kicked the extra point then Duke could have won with 2 TD's

And you guys would have been on here motherF*king the coaching staff for NOT GOING FOR 2

I have no problem with kicking the ball out of the endzone. I certainly understand the pop up kicks close to the goal line but IMO, don't even give them an opportunity for return. I will never understand going for two when you don't have to. Don't chase points.

Not using a timeout before the half with nearly 2 minutes to go. Coaching scared is weak. I understand that duke wasn't moving the ball, so no point in making a mistake but duke is thinking the same thing. They would have played soft coverage protecting the big play. How many teams give up easy fgs before the half in that situation. You think chip Kelly,spurrier etc let the clock run out. You have an opportunity to score you try especially when duke gets second half kickoff.

That is why the fans were booing at the half. How can these kids play with any confidence when the staff doesn't exude any?

Advertisement

You understand by going for 2 it would have put us up by 14.... if we didn't and just kicked the extra point then Duke could have won with 2 TD's

And you guys would have been on here motherF*king the coaching staff for NOT GOING FOR 2

Who exactly is you guys? Everybody needs to lighten up with this slurper/ mope ****. I wouldn't have been complaining about anything. I just stated my opinion. I don't think u chase points when u are up with that much time to go. I couldn't imagine the thought process. U have to assume duke will score two tds while u score nothing. I am definitely not a mope but that is bs. You can't play based on those assumptions. Too timid.

I have no problem with kicking the ball out of the endzone. I certainly understand the pop up kicks close to the goal line but IMO, don't even give them an opportunity for return. I will never understand going for two when you don't have to. Don't chase points.

An opportunity for a return. We were lined up at the 50. If our kicker kicks a high ball and our kids can't run 40 yds before they catch it something is severely wrong

Also u are thinking like a coach or fan who has had the same things ingrained in them for years. U see u have to factor the probabliities of u converting, them scoring twice with the amount of time plus the probability you weren't going to score again. U see it's also easy to fit the narrative to an example. What if duke scored 3 tds? If u missed ur 2 then u are losing 31-22. I just don't like the percentage call there. Imho

Advertisement
Back