American Heritage Head Coach Pat Surtain Discusses James Williams Commitment

View as article
Great article but i’m not willing to go as far as the Sean Taylor comparison. I looked for it in the film but I don’t see the fluidity and change of direction that made Taylor so special once had the ball in his hands. Williams has the tools to become great, and may become a great safety, but his athletic traits are different from Taylor despite the size similarities and playing safety.
Some things are similar. The break on the ball. High pointing the ball. the intelligence to play the position.
but ST was an offensive weapon with the ball. I don’t see that in JW.

Advertisement
Great article but i’m not willing to go as far as the Sean Taylor comparison. I looked for it in the film but I don’t see the fluidity and change of direction that made Taylor so special once had the ball in his hands. Williams has the tools to become great, and may become a great safety, but his athletic traits are different from Taylor despite the size similarities and playing safety.
Some things are similar. The break on the ball. High pointing the ball. the intelligence to play the position.
but ST was an offensive weapon with the ball. I don’t see that in JW.
Sean wasn't 6'5...nor 220lbs in HS.....More like 6'2 205...

I loved Jacolby as a receiver last year. If he can adjust to corner well it could be scary with him bringing over those wide receiver traits.
He's got real fluid hips & terrific feet for CB, his long stride running style gives him very good recovery speed & the ability to cover lots of range.

I think he'll transition very well to CB, he may want to play WR in college like Douglas Emilien did, but his money position is Corner.

Advertisement
James is a bigger version of Kearse from Fort Myers who played at Clemson
How about Kyle Hamilton, the 6’5” freshman safety at Notre Dame? 5 star who was a freshman All-American. Kyle is skinnier, doesn’t hit as hard, but is very fluid and covers great ground. I’m also biased because I’ve known Kyle since he was in 4th grade thru aau basketball Nd his dad is a close friend.
i got some great recruiting stories about UGA from Kyle. Those same stories will also give you new respect for ND. As painful that is for all of us.

Surtain echoes alit if what we’ve been saying all along. Imagine what Miami would do once most of these local legends started to stay home and play in front of their family and community? Looks like this class is buying into that vision.

If we can string together just one more and find a QB to step in after King, I think we’re finally off to the races.

Really nice interview. Thanks!

You have an off game or better game and you've got Reed to go chop it up with. Man, if that isn't an advantage to sell recruits, I don't know what is.

Advertisement
How about Kyle Hamilton, the 6’5” freshman safety at Notre Dame? 5 star who was a freshman All-American. Kyle is skinnier, doesn’t hit as hard, but is very fluid and covers great ground. I’m also biased because I’ve known Kyle since he was in 4th grade thru aau basketball Nd his dad is a close friend.
i got some great recruiting stories about UGA from Kyle. Those same stories will also give you new respect for ND. As painful that is for all of us.
New Respect for ND??....There never was Old Respect....

New Respect for ND??....There never was Old Respect....
UGA was offering him big money thru intermediaries/boosters. In addition, UGA was offering the allowed amount for the monthly stipend.
ND gives far less per month for the stipend than the NCAA allows. No athletic dorm and at ND they sold him on the type and quality of student he would meet at ND, not on the football team but on campus. In short, UGA sold an athletic experience, and ND sells the experience of a student-athlete. Certainly this form of recruiting doesn’t work on all kids, but it does for kids who see a broader future for themselves after football.

UGA was offering him big money thru intermediaries/boosters. In addition, UGA was offering the allowed amount for the monthly stipend.
ND gives far less per month for the stipend than the NCAA allows. No athletic dorm and at ND they sold him on the type and quality of student he would meet at ND, not on the football team but on campus. In short, UGA sold an athletic experience, and ND sells the experience of a student-athlete. Certainly this form of recruiting doesn’t work on all kids, but it does for kids who see a broader future for themselves after football.
Nobody in they're right mind would compare the two in terms of Academics..

Advertisement

ND Wont be getting many florid recruits with that selling point. Betta show some cash!

Advertisement
Back