Alumni Game 6pm

scane

Redshirt Freshman
Veliz scheduled to start after McKendry and McMahon threw five innings in a scrimmage yesterday.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Current Canes beat the alumni 4-2. The pitching was very good for the first eight innings, while the hitting left something to be desired. We had 7 total hits, but only four through the first 7 innings.

Starting Lineup:
Jenkins CF
Vilar 2B
Zamora SS
Toral 1B
Amditis C
Cloonan DH
Moore RF
Lala LF
Escala 3B

-The only position player that did not play was Del Castillo. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious
-Veliz had a solid four innings of work. He got into a bit of trouble in the third and would have conceded a run were it not for an alumni base running mishap
-The next four innings were thrown by Gates, Federman, Keysor, and Mixon. The alumni didn’t threaten during those innings. Gates and Federman in particular were lights out. Those four should make up the core of the bullpen
-Rivero struggled in the ninth, particularly with his control. The game ended when the alumni tried to score two on a wild pitch
-I think it’s probably noteworthy that Rivero got the final slot tonight instead of Cook
-Zamora and Jenkins were the best players offensively. Jenkins did a nice job finding his way on base and making things happen on the base paths
-Gates hit in the DH slot following his mound appearance. He was of course then hit by a pitch. Thankfully, Cooper was never known for being a hard thrower
-The defense was fairly solid other than a first inning error by Zamora
-If tonight was any indication, DiMare is going to be very aggressive trying to steal bases
-Unfortunately, DiMare was still the third base coach

Last edited:
Advertisement
Cecconi threw today and looked good. Not overpowering but was fooling people routinely.

Van Belle throws pretty hard and looks like the 5th starter.

Did see Del Castillo in the dugout moving around.

Zamora didn't participate today from what I saw.

Toral had a couple hits and some loud outs the last 2 days.

Amditis looks better behind the plate.

Escala struck out every time today.

Gil looks fine. That 3B job could be his.

Jenkins had a hit last night and some nice ABs today.

Vilar doesn't look overmatched but Lala, Moore, Paige, Pollack are little and shouldn't be counted on.

Did not see Crosbie.

Gates got some ABs again today but don't think he recorded a hit.

Overall plenty of strikeouts, fly outs, no walks until Ruiz came in to pitch.

Pitching appears solid and potentially really good if guys bounce back. McKendry from surgery, Veliz from injury throughout 2018, and McMahon the same.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update rok. Looks like we'll still struggle offensively unless some other guys make significant progress during the season. I know it's been said before, but we'll find out soon enough whether it will be 1) the pitching being so good for us that our guys struggle at the plate (which could mean we're OK offensively, just not against our own staff), or 2) the hitting sucking so bad that the pitching isn't getting challenged enough (and any success we're seeing could be fool's gold). I'm guessing it's more of the latter than the former until I see otherwise.

Advertisement
Back