All-time Starting Nine at Miami

Advertisement
I think Gino Dimare should be the all time coach. In all seriousness though this has to be the best All Team lineup in college baseball. I can't think of another team that could compete purely based off college performance(not including how their players developed in the MLB).

Advertisement
Florida State has a pretty good lineup to be honest.

But I personally prefer Yasmani Grandal over Collins or CJ. Switch hitting catcher with power.....thats crazy.

Jason Michaels > Jon Jay

I'd also put Cora at SS with Hill at 2B, but I loved Jemile Weeks.

Last edited:
But I personally prefer Yasmani Grandal over Collins or CJ. Switch hitting catcher with power.....thats crazy.
It's splitting hairs between CJ and Yas. CJ was a throwback catcher - could handle a staff, brick wall defensively, and swung an above average bat for a catcher. Yas has more power and as you mentioned can switch hit, but I'm not sure he can ever be as good as CJ was defensively. It's a good debate.

I will say this - if I was building a catcher out of former Miami guys, he would look like Peter O'Brien, hit like Yas, and play D like Garrett Kennedy. No disrespect to any other catchers in our past. O'Brien still hasn't put it all together as a pro, but that guy looks like he's been built in a lab - shook his hand after a game once and my forearm disappeared. Kennedy couldn't hit for ****, but that guy was one of the better defensive catchers I've seen in college and maximized what he had to the fullest. And Yasmani is well, an All-Star.

Advertisement
CJ'-.325 avg 38-HR and 153 rbi. Yasmani-.311-38-HR and 173 rbi. Both in 3 years at Miami.

Jason Michaels > Jon Jay

I'd also put Cora at SS with Hill at 2B, but I loved Jemile Weeks.

JM is a solid choice but Calvin James is right up there imo.

Neal Heaton over Alex? That's a tough one, imo.

Phil Lane - 2nd to Pat?

Last edited:
JM is a solid choice but Calvin James is right up there imo.

Neal Heaton over Alex? That's a tough one, imo.

Phil Lane - 2nd to Pat?
If Alex would have stayed more than 1 year, yes. Aubrey Huff at 3rd, Pat played most of his time in the OF.

Advertisement
What is everyones thought on Kevin Howard (3rd base) that played on that 2001 championship team?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back