NHL Alex Ovechkin

Baba Yaga

👉👌
Premium
Passes Gordie Howe.

For you non-hockey fans, a few years ago it was more or less unthinkable that he'd maintain the pace and longevity to hit 800. Now he's 92 goals shy of Greyzky.

Salute Ovie!

Advertisement
It looks like he could catch him if he played to 40. What do you think?

Like you said, totally unthinkable for the past 30 years, but looking more and more realistic as Ovechkin is keeping up this level of play.

It looks like he could catch him if he played to 40. What do you think?

Like you said, totally unthinkable for the past 30 years, but looking more and more realistic as Ovechkin is keeping up this level of play.
I believe he said he won't continue to play if he can't do so at a high level just for the sake of catching Gretzky.

I think he's absolutely capable of it, just a matter of whether he can maintain his level of play and stay healthy probably for the remainder of this year and two more seasons. If he does that, even with a moderate drop off in goal production, say 30-35 goals each of the next two years instead of 40-50, he could do it towards the end of the 24-25 season, potentially sooner if he keeps scoring 40-50 goals each year.

He's 92 shy right now and he has 22 goals this season and we're still not at the halfway point. If he finishes with say, 40 goals this year that would leave him 74 goals shy of Gretzky, meaning he'd need to average 37 goals for two more years to catch him.

What's insane is Gretzky never scored more than 40 goals after the 90/91 season or more than 30 after the 93/94 season. He had a few solid years before he retired but he wasn't doing what Ovie is doing now. His Edmonton years are absolutely freaking mind-boggling.

As a fan I really hope Ovie goes for it, it will be exciting to watch.

Advertisement
Back