Al on with Colin Cowherd today

Advertisement
[]_[]nique-31;1594734 said:
[]_[]nique-31;1594605 said:
Average students don't usually bring in tens of millions of dollars to their university either. That scholarship money is like a crumb from a cookie....it's just not equal.

10500 undergrads * $60k/year cost of attendance = $630M. Add in 5000 grad students. The average student is the bread and butter. Research funding of $326M, which wouldn't happen without the 'average students'. Add in the annual giving initiatives. Football is probably the 'crumb from a cookie' at Miami.

You had to add all the other students together to get those numbers. The 85 or so scholarship football players bring in tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to their schools by themselves!!! That's the difference.

Tell that to Donna and the Board. They'll laugh at you.

Average students don't usually bring in tens of millions of dollars to their university either. That scholarship money is like a crumb from a cookie....it's just not equal.

10500 undergrads * $60k/year cost of attendance = $630M. Add in 5000 grad students. The average student is the bread and butter. Research funding of $326M, which wouldn't happen without the 'average students'. Add in the annual giving initiatives. Football is probably the 'crumb from a cookie' at Miami.

You had to add all the other students together to get those numbers. The 85 or so scholarship football players bring in tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to their schools by themselves!!! That's the difference.

Just curious, donations from NFL Canes excepted, can you name one student that brings in a million dollars to the U? Who is THE most valuable Hurricane player? What would be the loss in $$ to the school if the player (say Duke) was injured, or left the team to go on a Mormon mission? What if the player who left was Jacory Harris, or Mike James?

Personally, I believe the players should be paid a stipend so they have some "folding" money. They work hard and I'm assuming not all parents can afford to send money for movies, pizza, beer, dates, etc. on those days when they aren't busy hitting the playbooks and school books. Not so sure it would keep anyone out of trouble though.

And another thing, who's paying for those nice cars some of the players drive? Just curious.

Just curious, donations from NFL Canes excepted, can you name one student that brings in a million dollars to the U? Who is THE most valuable Hurricane player? What would be the loss in $$ to the school if the player (say Duke) was injured, or left the team to go on a Mormon mission? What if the player who left was Jacory Harris, or Mike James?

Personally, I believe the players should be paid a stipend so they have some "folding" money. They work hard and I'm assuming not all parents can afford to send money for movies, pizza, beer, dates, etc. on those days when they aren't busy hitting the playbooks and school books. Not so sure it would keep anyone out of trouble though.

And another thing, who's paying for those nice cars some of the players drive? Just curious.

College players aren't limited to UM. My statement was made in general. Maybe it turned UM specific once Sebastian brought in the numbers but what I said is not taboo around the country.

Advertisement
Wow, Jason Whitlock is a complete moron.

What did he say that was moronic? That the system is broken, and as long as kids are not gettiing paid, they will take handouts. That's probably true.

They are getting paid. They're getting a free education (sometimes worth hundreds of thousands of dollars), far better meals than any other student, access to far better educational resources, access to far better facilities, far more lenient admittance standards....the list goes on and on. The system is definitely broken and needs to be overhauled, but Jason Whitlock conveniently ignores all of these things that football players get that aren't available to the average student.

I couldn't agree more-- I've been saying the same thing to anyone who'll listen for years. The NCAA is lining their pockets-- I get it, but there are dozens of creative ways to channel those dollars (AWAY FROM OVERLAND PARK) but writing checks to 85 players annually isn't the solution I had in mind-- for ALL the reasons stated above. Just b/c they excel in a revenue sport doesn't mean they should be paid-- while at the same time stiffing other scholar athletes in track & field, swimming/diving softball, baseball and volleyball et al.

Love the end tho...
Pencilnose- "Coach if you have a few hours on saturday, watch the A&M vs Bama game"
Golden- "I have enough to worry about, I'm sure will be fine"

The man gets it.

Would have loved to hear him say, "no Colin but you go right on ahead slurping the SEC co*k

Advertisement
Back