After the Storm: GT

View as article
Advertisement
The offensive and defensive performance grades were failures also. No way in **** we should be running reverses in the red zone. Dropped passes, wrong personnel/packages, etc. No way in **** Ragone should be playing other than in garbage time. And Patchan should be on the same string.

I couldn't agree more. Having gone through Shannon and Golden, I thought I had seen bad coaching but nothing and I mean nothing could have prepared me for the criminal level of ineptitude that I have seen with this staff. This is without a doubt the worst staff to ever coach at UM and it is quite literally the worst coaching staff I have ever seen. We are the worst coached team in P5. This is far beyond being a matter of perspective. This staff is so bad that there would be no logical point to letting this go on past this season. This entire staff must be fired as soon as the clock hits 0:00 against Duke.

Diaz ain't getting fired this year boys. I would just accept your fate and settle in for the long haul... Next year is going to be more painful than trying to **** out a quarter-sized kidney stone and Diaz will be spewing more non-sense about how we are 'learning to compete and win' while the plane crashes and burns the whole way down.

Think about it, we've gone from Coker to Shannon to Golden to Richt (had some success) to Diaz. All uninspired hires that were easy and relatively cheap by today's standards. The administration is at fault here. I live in the heart of SEC country and the commitment to winning starts with the administration. I don't believe Diaz is capable or competent. Some guys are meant to be assistants/coordinators and not head coaches.

It will get worse because I saw a lack of effort on the field against GaTech. Just look at Ivy on the fake punt. And watch Donaldson. He routinely takes plays off. I'm not a Zion fan but at least that kid plays hard every snap.

The staff is below average and we all see it in the play on the field, lack of prep and poor playcalling in critical situations. Manny sold this staff hard (especially Enos) so he is responsible for their failures.

Advertisement
Offensive gameplan was actually decent until the inevitably awful red zone playcalling. Not only are the individual calls horrible but the thought process is mind-boggling. Diaz continues to lament how bad the kicking is yet the MO has been to run the ball and go to the quick passing game inside the 25. The further you push towards the goal line the harder is to gain positive yards so they're unwittingly corching themselves into a box where the FG is inevitable. You hardly ever see this team try a shot at the endzone from outside the 10 yard line, then once we get in range it's poorly designed fade routes to Osborn or Jordan trying to win against bracket coverage. Maybe bypass the congestion by trying to score quicker instead of these methodical scoreless drives?

Defense was and is an F-. Almost everything the defense has yielded this year has been self-inflicted from corching so that warrants a harsher grade.

Offensive gameplan was actually decent until the inevitably awful red zone playcalling. Not only are the individual calls horrible but the thought process is mind-boggling. Diaz continues to lament how bad the kicking is yet the MO has been to run the ball and go to the quick passing game inside the 25. The further you push towards the goal line the harder is to gain positive yards so they're unwittingly corching themselves into a box where the FG is inevitable. You hardly ever see this team try a shot at the endzone from outside the 10 yard line, then once we get in range it's poorly designed fade routes to Osborn or Jordan trying to win against bracket coverage. Maybe bypass the congestion by trying to score quicker instead of these methodical scoreless drives?

Defense was and is an F-. Almost everything the defense has yielded this year has been self-inflicted from corching so that warrants a harsher grade.
To add to this, it's the lack of awareness that you need to be calling plays within the opponent's 35 as if it is four down territory. Why call plays that are obvious settlement for a FG when YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO MISS?

Advertisement
if we finish 4-8 or 5-7 does Diaz get fired?
But... at 5-7 I think he is 50/50 with Blake 70/30.
at 4-8 I'd say Manny is 70/30 gone, Blake 95/5.

What we need is blow out losses now so Blake cant say, "we are 4 plays from being 7-0."

But... at 5-7 I think he is 50/50 with Blake 70/30.
at 4-8 I'd say Manny is 70/30 gone, Blake 95/5.

What we need is blow out losses now so Blake cant say, "we are 4 plays from being 7-0."
It's the FIU game. A loss there and the ouster is inevitable.

It's the FIU game. A loss there and the ouster is inevitable.
I think this is correct, but I also think thats the 1 win left on the schedule. 4-8 is the probable floor, 6-6 is the probable ceiling. 5-7 is the most likely outcome imo. A win over FIU and maybe Louisville or FSU if either dont come to play. Duke & Pitt should be favored to beat Miami, though Miami motivated can beat a lot of teams if the team is off their game. I really think its time to hope & pray 1 of 2 things happen, it finally comes together and we dominate the rest of the way out to 8-4, or we get dominated with a few blowouts 4-8. Smoke & mirroring our way to 6-6 is the worst possible outcome.

Advertisement
How are you giving Jordan a full 5 yards? His elbow was clearly down on the 5 yard line. Apparently you are content to conveniently ignore that.

Everyone around me in the stadium noticed it immediately on replay. There were immediate summations of, "We lost." One person after another said that. A few got up to leave before friends convinced them to wait for the official announcement.

We were shocked when the referee said, "Call stands." It felt like an incredible gift, an undeserved second chance. But once they placed the ball on the 4 yard line instead of the 3 (where Jordan went down) or the 5 (where his elbow hit) we realized they were saying his forward progress had been stopped before he ever retreated to the 5. They were going to ignore the downed elbow and give Jordan credit to the 4. That was a questionable decision at best. Jordan was obviously trying to avoid the defender and make progress. He lunged forward to the 3, without realizing or caring his elbow was down at the 5.

But it was the same type of call that bailed out the Georgia Tech quarterback on the near-safety early in the game. That was a very quick judgment of forward progress also. You always want consistency in calls like that. I was impressed that many other posters here compared to two situations.

The television announcing crew nailed it immediately. That was most impressive of all. I was shocked when I watched the replay late at night and their summation from the outset was that the ball should be placed at the 4 yard line and call for a measurement.

I gave Al Golden until the end of year 3 before I finally realized I was being sold a used car with a banana in the tailpipe. Diaz' shtick is transparent. He's all talk and no action. It's easy to fire Mark Richt's coaches, bench his players, and talk trash about others. But he just keeps making excuses for his own bad judgment and his own staff's abysmal failures.

I'll check back in if Diaz trades up for a better DC, LB coach, OL coach, and adds better recruiters and a true ST expert to his staff.

Mind you this was high school football coaching backed in the 70"s. Other team punting their side of the 50 we put in our punt return group, other team punting our side of the fifty we were in base defense, with a deep safety. Deep safety was stationed at 10 yard line, anything kicked behind he left it alone.

Advertisement
How are you giving Jordan a full 5 yards? His elbow was clearly down on the 5 yard line. Apparently you are content to conveniently ignore that.

Everyone around me in the stadium noticed it immediately on replay. There were immediate summations of, "We lost." One person after another said that. A few got up to leave before friends convinced them to wait for the official announcement.

We were shocked when the referee said, "Call stands." It felt like an incredible gift, an undeserved second chance. But once they placed the ball on the 4 yard line instead of the 3 (where Jordan went down) or the 5 (where his elbow hit) we realized they were saying his forward progress had been stopped before he ever retreated to the 5. They were going to ignore the downed elbow and give Jordan credit to the 4. That was a questionable decision at best. Jordan was obviously trying to avoid the defender and make progress. He lunged forward to the 3, without realizing or caring his elbow was down at the 5.

But it was the same type of call that bailed out the Georgia Tech quarterback on the near-safety early in the game. That was a very quick judgment of forward progress also. You always want consistency in calls like that. I was impressed that many other posters here compared to two situations.

The television announcing crew nailed it immediately. That was most impressive of all. I was shocked when I watched the replay late at night and their summation from the outset was that the ball should be placed at the 4 yard line and call for a measurement.

I'm not ignoring anything. We are basically saying the same thing about the call itself, plus I'm saying the refs gave UM a terrible spot.

Call on the field was down at the three, first down, which they had to overturn in some fashion because his elbow was down at the 5. It was either his forward progress had him at the 3 and a half where he caught the ball (clear first down) or you're saying he was making a second effort while his elbow hit down at the 5, thereby losing his original forward progress (Clearly not a first down). So, either way, that spot directly on the 4 was atrocious.

Anyway, thought it was pretty clear to me that the "second effort" came AFTER he was knocked backwards and his elbow hit at the 5, or at best simultaneously. You can't have a second effort if you are down. Therefore, forward progress to the 3 and a half yard line, first down. Refs clearly agreed with that interpretation since they didn't spot him at the 5, just gave Miami a horrible forward progress spot even after review.

On top of all that, then they botched the explanation by saying call stands... but we're moving the spot. Huh? That was a horrible way to handle the end of the game. Like I said, don't think it really matters much in the context of this game itself since Miami should've never been in that position in the first place. Just wouldn't want that crew handling my games ever again if I was a coach.

Brevin misplayed it too, he should have dived right into, or backed into as he caught it facing the QB, the defensive player, and get as much as he could. Instead he tried to make a move and score. The mark after the review was bad, as he was inside the 4 before he was dragged backwards.

Advertisement
Back