After the Storm: FSU

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The Miami Hurricanes demolished the Florida State Seminoles on Saturday night in their annual rivalry matchup, 52-10. After a rewatch of the game, these were my main takeaways and grades.

**This game is going to have reverberations past Saturday night. Even in a best-case, dream scenario, it would have been hard to imagine things going much better for Miami against FSU; UM never trailed in this one and the game was over by halftime. This was a complete domination in all facets that is just very rare for this rivalry - just look at some of the numbers. Miami scored points on all six of its offensive drives in the first half (five touchdowns, one field goal). The 38 points scored by Miami were the most scored by either school in one half in the history of the rivalry. The 35-point lead by Miami was the most lopsided first half in the history of the rivalry; the previous record was 31 points, when Miami led 31-0 at halftime in 1976. The 52 points scored by UM was the most in the history of this rivalry.

In the roundtable preview before this game, we mentioned how a true blowout would likely have implications in team building going forward within the state. Recruits considering both Miami and FSU told CIS how the outcome of this game would most likely impact their ultimate decisions. Well, after Saturday, it couldn’t be more clear just how far apart these programs are. I can honestly say that I can’t remember an FSU team that’s looked this bad, while the Hurricanes are one of the most exciting teams in college football right now. With the situation in Tallahassee looking dire both on and off the field, I don’t see any reason for the gap between the programs to start narrowing anytime soon and I expect Miami to take full advantage.

**UM used their success on the money downs to engineer this blowout. A big theme of the game was how every time the Noles got even a whiff of possible momentum, UM was there to plunge FSU back into the depths. The best example of this I thought was the Hurricanes’ success on the money downs; they started the game 8/10 on third down, and the two they did not convert, UM ended up converting on fourth down anyways. The extension of drives in key moments very clearly gave the team a ton of confidence, and it had the opposite effect on the other sideline, with the air coming out of the balloon and deflating the FSU defense every time they had a chance to get off the field. It was to the point where you just expected Miami to convert on 3rd or 4th down every time, something that was demoralizing for the Seminoles and was a welcome change for a program that has notoriously struggled on the money down in recent years.

Miami was among the bottom 5 teams in the FBS in third down conversion rate the past two years (27.2% - 2019, 28.8% - 2018); this year, they currently sit at 52.2% on third downs through three games, which would be an incredible jump even if it falls off a little going forward. Third down prowess has been synonymous with the Rhett Lashlee offense over the years, and it was something I mentioned over the offseason as one area where he could make a huge impact in Year 1 here. With the higher third down conversion rates, Miami’s already seen huge dividends compared to what we saw on offense in past years in terms of sustaining drives, keeping the UM defense off the field, and, ultimately, finishing in the endzone.

**D’Eriq King will be a Heisman candidate until proven otherwise. With a 29/40 (72.5%), 267 yards, and 2 TD passing line through just three quarters in a blowout win during a rivalry game, King posted his second straight impressive performance during a primetime night game after getting the College GameDay treatment. I loved the toughness King showed when connecting with Dee Wiggins on the 40-yard TD, hanging in there to deliver a strike despite Marvin Wilson barreling down on him, but his best throw of the day might have been on the first drive when he threaded a ball between an FSU LB and CB to Mark Pope for a first down on 3rd and 9. King is also showing the ability to spread the ball around and not lock onto one target, as 9 different UM players caught passes in the first half, giving the offense an element of unpredictability. Let’s also note that King has yet to commit a turnover through three games as well.

Performing when the lights are brightest and the entire nation is watching is just so key when you’re talking about national awards, with voters always looking for signature moments that will stick in their minds, and that’s something King is excelling in right now. While Miami hasn’t really needed him in the fourth quarter just yet to give viewers something truly memorable, King will get another crack at that when he sees #1 Clemson in two weeks on the road during Miami’s third straight primetime appearance on College GameDay.

**The offensive line deserves a ton of credit for how well the offense is playing to start the year. King will garner much of the attention, as he should, but you cannot overlook the jump Miami has made on the OL three games in. Coming off a season where they gave up 51 sacks (third worst in the country), the Canes’ OL has given up a miniscule three sacks so far in 2020 (10th nationally), and zero against the Seminoles this weekend. For comparison’s sake, UM gave up a whopping 18 sacks through their first 3 FBS games of 2019 (UF, UNC, Central Mich.).

The Canes also piled up 200 yards on the ground against FSU in large part due to the push they were getting from the front 5, and UM is now 13th nationally in rushing (232.3 ypg). Don’t forget to factor in that the Canes have used different starting OL combinations in each of their games this season, so they haven’t even really had the time to develop full cohesion amongst the unit. Whatever Garin Justice is doing up front, it’s working, and you can see the benefits trickling down for the rest of the offense in terms of the flow of the attack and the pace UM is able to play at. You don’t get to 4th in the nation in plays per game (74.7) and run the offense Lashlee wants to run without strong play up front that limits mental breakdowns and keeps UM from falling behind the sticks.

**The defense picked a great time for a bounce-back game. Miami’s defense took a lot of heat, including from me, for an average first game against UAB, and then an underwhelming performance vs. Louisville last week, and there were serious questions on if this defense just lost too much firepower over the offseason to keep up the pace they’ve been on over the past few years. However, Blake Baker’s unit was fast and ferocious all night against the Noles in allowing just 105 yards in the first half Saturday against Florida State, adding an enormous 9 tackles for loss and 5 sacks to their first half line. FSU QB James Blackman rarely had time to make good decisions, as the Hurricanes yet again showed their DL dominance of FSU’s OL by finishing the game with 13 TFL (16 TFL vs. FSU in 2019, 12 in 2018).

Before their final drives of the game in the fourth quarter when the benches were well-emptied and with the game in hand, FSU had just 246 total yards of offense. Even when the Seminoles did have strong drives, UM shut them down with timely plays in the red zone, including an Al Blades pick and a goal-line 4th down stop from the 2. While the offense had largely pulled their weight through 2 games, we were still waiting to see a great game from the defense, and it was holding Miami back from showing off a complete, all-around team effort. Mission accomplished.

**Nesta Silvera is developing into an elite DT. It may have been lost in the shuffle because of how well-dispersed the stats were on UM’s defense (nobody had more than 6 tackles or 2 TFL), but the big green #1 for Miami made himself known in the Seminoles' backfield all night. Not only did he have a second quarter sack on Blackman, but Silvera also absolutely blew up the Noles’ attempted reverse pass that led to Jaelan Phillips’ interception. He is also now fourth on the team and leads all defensive linemen with 12 total tackles this year. Silvera has trimmed up and gotten himself into better shape, which has allowed him to get a step quicker, and the agility with which he is moving his 300-pound frame is remarkable. Since Gerald Willis left, Miami has been hoping Jon Ford would develop into their next impact interior DL, but instead its been Silvera that has shown the ability to consistently make plays in the backfield and stop the run. If he continues on this path, Silvera providing UM with a threat on the interior, not just on the edges of Miami’s DL, could really help take this defense to another level. Jared Harrison-Hunte (sack vs. FSU) also deserves a shoutout as someone that has consistently flashed on the interior DL despite a limited snap count, and it would be beneficial for this defense to increase his reps going forward.

Grades

Offense: A+

It’s hard to ask for much more: 517 total yards, scoring on the first six drives, a Miami-FSU record 52 points, including an entire quarter played with backups. 85 plays at 6.1 ypp. 11/16 (68.8%) on third downs. 6-6 in the red zone. 0 sacks. Jaylan Knighton’s fumble was the lone blemish on what was a masterful day from this unit.

Defense: A

Only 10 points and 330 total yards allowed, with 246 yards allowed before UM brought in the backups in the fourth. Were relentless in creating havoc in the FSU backfield with 6 sacks and 13 TFL. Added three turnovers that Miami turned into 14 points. Two big red zone stops. Overall, a much-needed bounce-back game from this unit.

Special Teams: C

ST’s were not asked to do much, as Jose Borregales hit a chip-shot 30-yarder on his lone FG attempt and combined with Camden Price to convert on all 7 Miami XP attempts. Lou Hedley was not called on to punt during the entire game and backup Matias Gasc booted UM’s only punt (36 yards, inside the 20) in the fourth quarter. The coverage teams did not let up any big returns. The black mark on this grade is another fumble from Pope, his second in three games at PR; it hasn’t cost Miami yet, but UM needs to start considering other options at returner before it does.

Coaching: A

Despite all the praise in the past week, the Canes avoided a potential letdown game and did not play down to their competition like has been customary over the years. The staff had the team prepared and focused to play in a primetime rivalry game from the opening whistle, and UM did not let up until the game was well in hand. The coaches managed the game well enough to empty their bench, give younger players valuable experience, and were able to get better looks at the deeper parts of their depth chart. 8 penalties for 80 yards is an issue, but it doesn’t look as bad when you win by 42 against FSU.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Great write up and I like the shout out to Nesta!! His motor is special and he leaves a mark every time he gets his hands on you.

Best DT in the country!! Beast! 🔥🔥🔥

4A4CECA6-BCE6-4434-8820-B48607D5E21C.jpeg

Advertisement
That was the quietest 200 yards of rushing I've seen in a while. The entire offense was so diversified, it was like death by a thousand cuts. King was the leading rusher with 65 yards. I think they said nine receivers caught a ball, in the 1st quarter. That's hard to defend. King has been a huge addition. After watching games around the country, his decision making has been excellent. He's protecting the ball as well. There haven't been too many throws into harm's way.

The one thing that I don’t like is how every offense we’ve played so far has marched down the field on their first possession of the third quarter. This might sound like I’m knit picking, but this is showing a lack of being able to make adjustments coming out of halftime. It’s worrisome as we begin to play better competition- Clemson, UNC, etc

Advertisement
Advertisement
The one thing that I don’t like is how every offense we’ve played so far has marched down the field on their first possession of the third quarter. This might sound like I’m knit picking, but this is showing a lack of being able to make adjustments coming out of halftime. It’s worrisome as we begin to play better competition- Clemson, UNC, etc
Sort of. If we give up that first scoring drive of the 2nd half and then shut them down from there, it actually doesn't show a lack of being able to make adjustments. Just the opposite if we can shut them down after that first drive. I don't like allowing the other team to drive it down our throats to start every second half either, believe me, but if we played well in the 1st half we're not really looking to make adjustments at the break.

University professors salaries and research efforts are often supported by endowed scholarships. Effectively, either a scholarship/sponsorship is made for a specified time period or in perpetuity.

Reed needs one of these. Give the man tenure. He should always, ALWAYS be on the sideline in orange and green on game days.

I gotta say that the emergence of Nesta has been a very pleasant surprise. He had his moments before, but he sure as **** picked a great time to take it up a level.

He has taken a very big and very, very needed step-up. Jaelan is getting most of the attention but Nesta is doing exactly what we need him to do.

Advertisement
Back