Adam ElGammal

Advertisement
0B0E3A1C-640B-4C56-BEE0-6CAE089F6BF3.png

I wonder if this changes things.

These generalizations sound good in the spring but never apply in the fall. No one is turning away Carey, Flowers, Franklin, Donaldson, Leatherwood et al. Meanwhile Tallman, Barton, Loftus et al weren’t good, and they weren’t 320. The real point is evaluate better when the kids aren’t obvious.
Ethnic talkimbout evaluations in the past lol

Advertisement
Ppl bought into the hype Bc he had a clip dunking
I was one of them. LOL. Thought he would have good feet because he played basketball or could dunk. Oh well. If JHH pans out I wouldnt have a problem with striking out on Gammal and Blissett. Worth the NY price we paid.

Usually If those schools are after a northeast kid, Miami will have a tough time landing them. In the case of JHH, those schools were after him, and we partially only landed him because he had his teammate, ElGammal, and another friend coming to Miami as well. Adam should have never been viewed as major Northeast OT. He was always a late add project, along with Zion. Those two takes were similar in the vein of that OT we turned to a DT or a DT we turned to a OT in the Golden era. Kid from California. Some of the worst tape from a Miami recruit I've ever seen.

Here is some 2018/2019 context. Evan Neal and Darnell Wright were the big fish we chased. Wright - beyond a long shot. Neal had familial and locational ties to Miami but had 5 big time schools coming hard after him. Every other team besides FSU outperformed Miami that year. Not sure how Richt felt about that recruitment late in the game. The word was Neal committed to Bama on his OV.

Kingsley Eguakun and Michael Tarquin both flip to UF in a two day span in early December. Darius Washington is between Miami and FSU at this point but not signing till Feb. Two days later, 15 days before the second ever early signing period, we decide to offer the raw 6'5/6'6 basketball playing offensive tackle whose the teammate of a top 3 target left on our board. Ten days after that, Zion flips from App St.

I type all this to say, Searles' ineptiude as a recruiter helped us land JHH and Zion Nelson at the price of Eguakun, Tarquin, Washington, and ElGammal. And that Adam ElGammal was not really a bad evaluation, he was a rushed evaluation that turned into a desperate offer with potential upside due to size and JHH. We'll see how Nelson v. Tarquin v. Washington turns out by 2023, even if Nelson was lower on the board than the rest.
That’s a lot of words rationalizing a bad eval.

That’s a lot of words rationalizing a bad eval.

sure. it's still the truth. If I wrote something false, let me know. Two of Miami's linemen decommitted right before early signing day, good P5 tackles weren't looking our direction. We offered a scholarship, two days later, to a raw basketball player offensive tackle who was the teammate of our top target left on the board. That move helped secure Miami's 2021 starting defensive tackle. That is a timeline of events. The silver lining is that unlike Sunny Odogwu, Joe Brown and Dykstra, ElGammal brought a friend. The bad eval does not happen without a lot of bad recruiting beforehand, which I wrote. We miss on our good eval, Zion Nelson, without said bad recruiting too. Justification, or record of events.

Tough for me to say "hey, only JHH was the only one good out the NYC trio," without mentioning the other two were BIG parts as to why said northeast DT who had been recruited by OSU/PSU for months prior to Miami ended up in Miami in the first place. If it were an ideal cycle, our 2019 tackles would have been Evan Neal, Darius Washington and Tarquin. Colleges will not discover great looking P5 OTs in the eleventh hour of a recruiting cycle.

and like @JayCane20 said to you, Nelson did end up better than all our highly rated kids. Not ElGammal though. I liked ElGammal better but that was off his background never watched Nelson or ElGammal's film.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think the coaches have put more value on work ethic in 2020 and 2021 classes. Guys like Chaney troutman arroyo Brantley Rodriguez rivers are known workers

I was one of them. LOL. Thought he would have good feet because he played basketball or could dunk. Oh well. If JHH pans out I wouldnt have a problem with striking out on Gammal and Blissett. Worth the NY price we paid.
We didn’t strike out with blisset. He was looking solid but had to medically retire. Nothing you can do there. Concussions are nothing to mess with. But I agree with the premise of your post

It’s why Wisconsin redshirts all of their OL and rarely ever play them before their RS sophomore year. Even 5* Logan Thomas. They don’t even play them the 4 games to maintain their RS status. Everyone talks about what a great job they do developing their OL but few teams and fans have the patience to do it their way.

When u develop a certain position, u can do that. It becomes a revolving chamber. I’ve never been a fan of playing true freshmen. Of course there are some exception to the rules where some guys r just a man child, but the strength & competition level is night & day from HS to CFB, especially in the trenches.

Most stable programs have their freshmen play sparingly to get their feet wet, but have them sit behind the guy whose spot they’ll eventually become the heir apparent to.

Unfortunately, b/c we’ve sucked so bad w/ evals, and attrition, we’ve had to throw lambs to the wolves & the results have shown along the OL. I still get nightmares seeing Zion just get abused his freshman year, and he had no help, guidance, or an older vet he could learn from. Wisconsin has been a well oiled OL machine for yrs now. 3 star, 4 star, 5 star...no star, it don’t matter. They like em up, guys are RS Fr - upperclassmen, & once the upperclassmen move on, those Frosh come in to the line up as either Sophomores or RS FR.

Last edited:
I think the coaches have put more value on work ethic in 2020 and 2021 classes. Guys like Chaney troutman arroyo Brantley Rodriguez rivers are known workers

I agree with you, Manny has made work ethic and character a part of his selection process. After seeing his Dean's list in this thread though, I'd imagine that ElGammal's lack of success was more about loving football than his work ethic.

Last edited:
Advertisement
sure. it's still the truth. If I wrote something false, let me know. Two of Miami's linemen decommitted right before early signing day, good P5 tackles weren't looking our direction. We offered a scholarship, two days later, to a raw basketball player offensive tackle who was the teammate of our top target left on the board. That move helped secure Miami's 2021 starting defensive tackle. That is a timeline of events. The silver lining is that unlike Sunny Odogwu, Joe Brown and Dykstra, ElGammal brought a friend. The bad eval does not happen without a lot of bad recruiting beforehand, which I wrote. We miss on our good eval, Zion Nelson, without said bad recruiting too. Justification, or record of events.

Tough for me to say "hey, only JHH was the only one good out the NYC trio," without mentioning the other two were BIG parts as to why said northeast DT who had been recruited by OSU/PSU for months prior to Miami ended up in Miami in the first place. If it were an ideal cycle, our 2019 tackles would have been Evan Neal, Darius Washington and Tarquin. Colleges will not discover great looking P5 OTs in the eleventh hour of a recruiting cycle.

and like @JayCane20 said to you, Nelson did end up better than all our highly rated kids. Not ElGammal though. I liked ElGammal better but that was off his background never watched Nelson or ElGammal's film.
That's a lot MORE words continuing to rationalize a bad eval.

The issue with rationalizing isn't that it's false,, it's that it's rationalizing.

Lol. Got called out for my long windedness (can't help it) by the words King himself. I can't call ElGammal a bad evaluation then also rationalize the bad eval. It was a bad eval that happened to be a Plan C evaluation. Plan C anything's usually do not work out so well. I understand consequence of losing Tarquin and Kingsley was that it led to ElGammal, Nelson, and JHH, which some people had forgot. That is a matter of fact, not a justification as to why they took ElGammal in the first place. Although, they fully took the dude knowing his relationship with JHH. Maybe we would have got JHH without ElGammal and Blissett. As someone who had info on their recruitment, I do not believe that.

Then again you see me even typing this as a justification, I see it as a timeline of events. Disagree and will move on

Last edited:
Living in the Northeast I can say that NY state is not good at football. NJ and Penn absolutely dominate any team that come from NY. Any good player from the state finds an address in NJ and plays at one of the private schools. It’s been that way for the last 30 years.

Advertisement
Zion work ethic is on a Greg Rousseau level.....outside of the 5 star kids, the main difference in success between 4* kids and high 2*-low 3* kids is work ethic.
Eh, that’s def not true. The difference is traits. Many on this board identified Zion’s traits when his commitment was taken. The work ethic and mental make up are definitely big factors as well, but to say that the main difference in success is work ethic couldn’t be more off. There are 2 stars with far fewer traits that can have an incredible work ethic and still won’t sniff a scintilla of the success of more talented guys with traits who work less hard.

We didn’t strike out with blisset. He was looking solid but had to medically retire. Nothing you can do there. Concussions are nothing to mess with. But I agree with the premise of your post
Yeah I forgot about that. Man we have had so much crazy **** happen in the past yr I honestly forgot Blissett wasnt on the team because of concussions.

Advertisement
Back