NFL ACL Tears

423Hurricane

I’m Well On My Way
Premium
7 ACL tears this weekend including Saquan Barkley and Nick Bosa. Coincidence or lack of game time conditioning?

Advertisement
I have a theory on this topic. Everybody"s ligaments are designed to support a certain amount of weight and mass. Its different for each person obviously. In football the players put on tons of muscle and mass that overloads the joints and ligaments. Especially the ACL. The human body just cant sustain that kind muscle mass, when they are doing instant changes of direction. If you look at the NBA where players are way leaner they have very few ACL injuries. Same goes for soccer. These guys are just overloading the ligament plain and simple. Their bodies are not made to carry all that extra muscle.

I have a theory on this topic. Everybody"s ligaments are designed to support a certain amount of weight and mass. Its different for each person obviously. In football the players put on tons of muscle and mass that overloads the joints and ligaments. Especially the ACL. The human body just cant sustain that kind muscle mass, when they are doing instant changes of direction. If you look at the NBA where players are way leaner they have very few ACL injuries. Same goes for soccer. These guys are just overloading the ligament plain and simple. Their bodies are not made to carry all that extra muscle.
I think you are totally spot on here. There is a disproportionate number of ACL tears in football as compared to other contact sports.

I agree that football players stress their joints and ligaments due to adding mass but I would add that they’re also playing a violent, contact sport that puts them in stressful physical positions other sports don’t.
A 260 pound DE wrestling with a 300 pound T will no doubt stress all their joints and ligaments.

Advertisement
I think you are totally spot on here. There is a disproportionate number of ACL tears in football as compared to other contact sports.

Don't think we see that amount of ACL tears in Rugby either. Those are the closest body frames to the NFL. Anyone know knee injury stats? Those guys are beasts.

Don't think we see that amount of ACL tears in Rugby either. Those are the closest body frames to the NFL. Anyone know knee injury stats? Those guys are beasts.
They are real beasts. NFL players are soft in comparison.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back