ACC Teams (Not Us)

Consigliere

All-American
Granted it is early, but what are your thoughts on FSU and VT? Both were ranked to start the season.

1. FSU beat UF (3-3), LSU (5-2) and then lost to Nova (5-2). It will be interesting to see how they perform against Purdue (game is at FSU). When does Phil Cofer come back?

2. VT (5-0) has a quality win over Purdue (5-1). I know they said Chris Clarke has been suspended indefinitely, but he still could come back.

Advertisement
They're very solid. I think FSU is more of a threat come tourney time because they can beat you in a bunch of different ways. Justin Robinson is tremendous but if he struggles VT is absolutely beatable.

We're a peg below both those teams right now which isn't something to be ashamed of.

I have the misfortune to live near Tally and share a Noles household. So I saw all their games and hear lively updates. Considering Cofer is still healing his foot injury (no precise return expectations known) they did well to "barely" beat ranked LSU, and Villanova is always tuff. (FSU was favored tho… 2.5)

They get huge noisy fullhouse often at the Civic Center (I was there for the squeaker over the Canes last year) - much tuffer home crowd than let's say the Canes might normally get. I think they should crush Purdue, even if Cofer still not back, there.

Thanks for the info on V.T.

Granted it is early, but what are your thoughts on FSU and VT? Both were ranked to start the season.

1. FSU beat UF (3-3), LSU (5-2) and then lost to Nova (5-2). It will be interesting to see how they perform against Purdue (game is at FSU). When does Phil Cofer come back?

2. VT (5-0) has a quality win over Purdue (5-1). I know they said Chris Clarke has been suspended indefinitely, but he still could come back.
Both have much tougher OoC’s than us, especially FSU.

SO the NCAA NETraters ( list ) is now out - https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings - supposedly replaces the RPI and helps make the Tourney invites...

...not without controversy... Ohio State ranked 1

Not all that "kind" to ACC teams... FSU (14th in polls) and Clemson are way down, FSU in 44th! (we are 63rd, one ahead of Fresno State lol).

Purdue is way up there as Nbr 20; let's see what happens FSU 44th vs PURDUE 20th soon: that should be "revealing" (especially if Cofer returns)

Advertisement
SO the NCAA NETraters ( list ) is now out - https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings - supposedly replaces the RPI and helps make the Tourney invites...

...not without controversy... Ohio State ranked 1

Not all that "kind" to ACC teams... FSU (14th in polls) and Clemson are way down, FSU in 44th! (we are 63rd, one ahead of Fresno State lol).

Purdue is way up there as Nbr 20; let's see what happens FSU 44th vs PURDUE 20th soon: that should be "revealing" (especially if Cofer returns)
results now: Yeah not surprised FSU 44th beat Purdue 20th. Was close tho, and FSU home game, but still, seems to be anti-ACC bias in the Netrater poll.

Still think Ham is more of an underachiever with all his talent, despite last year. I really like Mann for them.

Getting Cofer back was big. He’s been walking around in a boot but still no timetable.

Come tourney time, I’d think Tech can make a run. Of course, they lost to a mediocre Penn State team the other night.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back