ACC opener tomorrow 12:30pm PACK THE BUC!

Advertisement
We choked. Plain and simple. Something like 1 our last 15 shots, missed a ton of FTs, and had stupid turnovers down the stretch.

By my count, we were up 52-43 with 7:47 after Kelly hit two FTs. After that, we went 2 for 18 (1 of 13 in the last 9:11 including OT), and 3 for 6 from the line (by Adams and Kirk, 5th year seniors). You can't win like that. This team does not know how to close out games. Unlike Haith teams, it's not because we get sloppy and turn the ball over - in that last 13:47 where we went 2 for 18, we only had 4 turnovers, which is not awful (11.6 pace for 40 minute game). We only gave up 18 points in that length of time, which is not awful (52.3 points for 40 minutes, which is very good). But someone has to score to maintain those leads and we just don't have that. I would have considered putting Manu in there more during the overtime and tried to get to the line while we were in the double bonus.

Pretty sure we were up 55-45 at some point after that

We choked. Plain and simple. Something like 1 our last 15 shots, missed a ton of FTs, and had stupid turnovers down the stretch.

By my count, we were up 52-43 with 7:47 after Kelly hit two FTs. After that, we went 2 for 18 (1 of 13 in the last 9:11 including OT), and 3 for 6 from the line (by Adams and Kirk, 5th year seniors). You can't win like that. This team does not know how to close out games. Unlike Haith teams, it's not because we get sloppy and turn the ball over - in that last 13:47 where we went 2 for 18, we only had 4 turnovers, which is not awful (11.6 pace for 40 minute game). We only gave up 18 points in that length of time, which is not awful (52.3 points for 40 minutes, which is very good). But someone has to score to maintain those leads and we just don't have that. I would have considered putting Manu in there more during the overtime and tried to get to the line while we were in the double bonus.

Pretty sure we were up 55-45 at some point after that

You know, when I used the ESPN PBP, it showed us at 55-45 with 4:40 left (which I recall) - for this one, I used the Miami one because it's more official. If you go from 4:40 left, we were 1 of 13, same FTs, one fewer turnover. Either way, gross.

Our 3 best players are on the bench in street clothes. I am very optimistic about the next couple of seasons but not this one.

Advertisement
I don't care who is on the bench, or how bad this season was supposed to be, this team, with players we have eligible right now, should have won this game, and should have won this game by double digits. That's how bad VT is.

That shot under the backboard was brutal - should've called a time out. Oh well - sometimes I trust in Golden - I always trust in JL - by the end of the year we should be on track - and possibly earlier in the season.

Advertisement
I trust Coach L, I don't think anyone is talking about that. We still shouldn't be losing to VT though. And, I don't think we're getting back on track this year. This is going to be a 8-9 win (overall) 2 win (ACC) season.

Hard to call a timeout when you don't have any. Know your facts before you speak capefear.

I didnt see us winning more than 3-4 games in the ACC this year. Can't lose all your top players but one and be any good the next year unless your Kentucky.

There are enough bad teams in the ACC where we could/should win more than that. Also, this team still has talent, as evidenced by beating Arizona State and almost beating GW.

Advertisement
MAYBE.....3 wins in the ACC...if coach L is anything like the coach we think he is Miami will steal a game or two they are not supposed to and if he wins 5 or more wins in the ACC we are in a great shape going forward....

I trust Coach L, I don't think anyone is talking about that. We still shouldn't be losing to VT though. And, I don't think we're getting back on track this year. This is going to be a 8-9 win (overall) 2 win (ACC) season.

Why shouldn't we lose to VT? We are really bad, have a key injury, and ZERO depth.

When Larranaga starts running zone defenses... you know he's just doing whatever he can to salvage it.

Advertisement

Why shouldn't we lose to VT? We are really bad, have a key injury, and ZERO depth.

When Larranaga starts running zone defenses... you know he's just doing whatever he can to salvage it.

Because they are worse than us and it's at home

Advertisement
Back