A tale of two games

Midlo Cane Fan

No more Midlo
2 articles on the '94 Fiesta bowl with snippets, a 29-0 blowout by the Arizona Wildcats. Compare UA's attitude in the game and Miami's internal problems then to the past few years and the UNC game.

"We physically took it to them," said UA linebacker Brant Boyer. "It wasn't close."

And that's the thing. It was never really close; Arizona never gave Miami a reason to believe.

"They kicked the living tar out of us," said Miami coach Dennis Erickson.

Miami rushed for only 35 yards on 20 carries, and quarterbacks Ryan Collins and Frank Costa combined for a miserable 15 of 44 passing, with three interceptions.

"When the DBs were walking out, (Miami) told us they thought the Desert Swarm was just a joke, that it was just print," said strong safety Brandon Sanders.

"We came out for that first drive and they were in their base defense," Levy said. "Then they came in with their eagle (defense). They couldn't find a defense to stop us. We practiced for a month on that stuff and we were ready.

The one worry Arizona players talked about all week was Collins, whose scrambling ability can disrupt defenses. He was never a factor, being sacked twice on Miami's first possession. Collins did try to run at times, but he rarely found open spaces and was forced into 5-for-15 passing with two interceptions.

A year of turmoil and heartache climaxed on an emotional New Year's Day morning when, according to sources, Hurricanes coach Dennis Erickson tried to resign just hours before the Fiesta Bowl game.

Two sources who asked not to be named said Erickson cleared his assistant coaches from the coaches' locker room just a couple hours before the 'Canes met Arizona in the Fiesta Bowl game and that he told his coaches he was resigning. The sources say Athletic Director Paul Dee was called and met alone in the locker room with Erickson and that Dee persuaded him not to resign.

The football season quickly turned tumultuous when a quarterback controversy arose in UM's 28-10 loss at Florida State. Erickson was vilified on radio talk shows for staying with starter Frank Costa and refusing to put in backup Ryan Collins. Joe Rose, a radio talk-show host and former Dolphins tight end, called it the most second-guessed decision in his more than a decade involvement in South Florida sports. He said it got more attention than the season-ending injury of Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino though Marino's injury occurred the same weekend.

The season didn't get any easier when UM failed to win the Big East championship in a 17-14 loss at West Virginia. The Monday after the loss, Erickson was forced to cancel a conditioning workout when several players threatened to boycott practice. They aired out grievances against the coaching staff in a team meeting.

Advertisement
I remember that game. Painful.

Desert Swarm defenses back in the day were no joke.

Advertisement
Wait, did Diaz try to resign and BJ persuaded him not to? Also did Diaz win two titles with Rickt players?
david schwimmer no GIF

The parallels are uncanny.
What's obvious to me is UNC had been preparing for this game all season while UM coming of their thrashing of Duke was "feeling themselves" and it was just another game for the players and coaches.

They prepared for us like we prepare for FSU. The UNC coaches broke down Miami film all season while the players always had Miami in the back of their mind.

The problem is that we don't look at them as our rival the way we do FSU. You know that because of all the upside down "U's" thrown during the game. No other team does that to us. They've done it for years. How does that transition year to year? Because the hate is passed down more than a KKK dragon wizzard.

We better understand what we're dealing with. The coaching staff and players will want to forget the game, but NO one ever should. "REMEMBER THE ALAMO." Every current and future player should "REMEMBER 12/12." I'd have shirts printed with 12/12 on them. NO one should forget that masacre or history will repeat itself again (Yogi'ism).

Advertisement
Who remembers watching Arizona vs Washington in 1992? That was a big game for Miami since UW was number 1.

What's obvious to me is UNC had been preparing for this game all season while UM coming of their thrashing of Duke was "feeling themselves" and it was just another game for the players and coaches.

They prepared for us like we prepare for FSU. The UNC coaches broke down Miami film all season while the players always had Miami in the back of their mind.

The problem is that we don't look at them as our rival the way we do FSU. You know that because of all the upside down "U's" thrown during the game. No other team does that to us. They've done it for years. How does that transition year to year? Because the hate is passed down more than a KKK dragon wizzard.

We better understand what we're dealing with. The coaching staff and players will want to forget the game, but NO one ever should. "REMEMBER THE ALAMO." Every current and future player should "REMEMBER 12/12." I'd have shirts printed with 12/12 on them. NO one should forget that masacre or history will repeat itself again (Yogi'ism).
Searles has faced this defense in practice many times. They were very well equipped to beat us. Richt said he thought they were adjusting based on the defense's hand placement. That wouldn't surprise me and is a very significant tell.

Searles has faced this defense in practice many times. They were very well equipped to beat us. Richt said he thought they were adjusting based on the defense's hand placement. That wouldn't surprise me and is a very significant tell.
What bothers me is that both Baker and Diaz are stuck with one style of play and stick with it no matter what. You have to self scout and change things week to week based on your opponent. Look at what Clemson did to us. Venables changes his defense weekly depending on the opponent. Diaz and especially Baker doesn't possess that ability or gene. Particularly Baker. He rarely deviates from his scheme. Not just for us, but in his career. Sure, he'll add blitzes and what not, but I'm talking about things like jumping to an 8 man front not knowing who's blitzing and who's dropping back in coverage. Keeping the offense guessing. Showing them something we've never done before. Something we prepared for just that team and have multiple schemes they haven't seen. What Baker does is predictable and predictable can be beat every time with evenly matched teams.

If you watch when Miami blitzes, they show their hand every time. It's unsofisticated and doesn't get home against better teams. It just exposes the defense even further.

I really want a "next level" DC like a Venables. A Charlie Strong perhaps. A guy that evaluates his defense and their opponents, willing to make changes weekly and is prepared to do it "in-game."

I remember it too. Couldn't believe my eyes.
Totally forgot about that game until last week. They had a nice run for a couple years. I remember we just beat them the previous year 8-7, 7-6 something along those numbers, they had a FG attempt to beat us. They beat Washington in 93, right

Advertisement

Said this in another thread and I'll say it again here. This would make more sense if UNC/Searles had our number since he's been there. But Searles was also there in 2019, when UNC only ran for 97 yards against us. Biggest difference between now and then is our LBs. Greg Rous didn't play much that game, and was still recovering from an injury.

Said this in another thread and I'll say it again here. This would make more sense if UNC/Searles had our number since he's been there. But Searles was also there in 2019, when UNC only ran for 97 yards against us. Biggest difference between now and then is our LBs. Greg Rous didn't play much that game, and was still recovering from an injury.
That's a very good point. But if you add that to all of the other things like UNC planning for this all year, it could be a piece of the puzzle.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back