A look at Diaz' Defense

View as article
Amazing breakdown, thanks for the knowledge. Quick question: does the type of athlete Diaz aims to recruit (i.e., faster/smaller, old school U) help with this type of defense? I think I remember Jimmy relying on a dominant front 4 rush, with elite speed at linebacker, but I also think he favored cover 2.

Regardless, thanks for the effort.

Jimmy wanted elite speed at DE, I think. He once described his defense as a "five LB defense", wih the two DE's as essentially LBs with their hands on the ground. If Jimmy had been coach instead of Schnellenberger, Alonzo Highsmith would have stayed at DE along with Danny Stubbs, to give the team one of the great pass rush tandems ever. From that quote, I assume he never would have switched Highsmith.

One thing I noticed from the media guides in about '87 and '88, is that we had DLs that had 40 times as good as the LBs. While Rod Carter and Randy Shannon were not overly fast, we had guys who could come close to or actually match them among the DLs. Guys like Jimmie Jones, Greg Mark, and some others (Willis Peguese) were listed as having 40 times under five flat, if I recall. It was something I recall reading back then. I made the comparisons from the media guides. They were easier to read back then because they put out printed copies. I don't think they do anymore.

Advertisement
Excellent job OP. That was a very informative, detailed and thorough analysis. Very much appreciated. Generally speaking I am very excited about the new scheme and the fact that we will be playing an aggressive style defense. My questions about Diaz concern his ability to game plan and how well he adjusts to different offenses. Another question I have is how open minded he is about addressing the weaknesses in his defense and improving on them. Football now more than ever is a game of continual adjustment and when a coach is so rigid and dogmatic about his scheme, the game is sure to pass him by(see Al and Mark).

Also, as much as I love aggressive defense and how it fits our recruiting base, what I want above all else is a defense that is elite and I don't want a DC that is hyper aggressive on every play and in every situation just for the sake of being aggressive. Some of those statistics that the OP provided about Diaz's defense in regards to not forcing enough 3 and outs are a little concerning to me because what that tells me is that the DC is not identifying and adjusting to key 3rd down situations.

This defense will be nasty. Only concern is the defensive backfield(mainly cornerback). Luckily most of the teams we play aren't high-octane offenses, besides UNC. VT is still breaking in a new staff also.

Is it just me, or does this sound a lot like Doritos defense? Not in methdolgy, but end result.

p.s. It would be nice if you had a picture showing the "hole" you are talking about.

Not even close. I don't get where people get this from.

Advertisement
I wanted a attacking 4-3 defense and play aggressive. And thats the kinda of defense Diaz will run because Richt wants a aggressive attacking 4-3 cover 2 defense.By hiring Diaz who runs one of the more aggressive 4-3 attacking defenses,to pair him with coach Kool arguably the best attacking 4-3 Dl coach in CFB today.Richt knows and has seen successful attacking 4-3 style defenses starts upfront. A D-Line that disrupts an offense does wonders for the entire defensive unit
Richt coming from the SEC has seen some dominating defenses during his 15 years at UGA,has no doubt crafted a SEC defensive flavor consciously. Richt has pulled in coaches with SEC pedigree (see in his defensive staff) in part he envisions, a SEC type attacking 4-3 defense at Miami and going to unleash it upon the ACC and CFB!

One of my favorite defenses to run, and one that I don't see from Diaz much, is cover-6. This defense gets its name from the fact one side plays cover-3 and the other side plays cover-2. (3 x 2 = 6, hence the name cover-6). What this defense requires is one physical CB who can defend the run and then the other side is freed up to support the "lesser" corner on the other side. It also allows one side to cover up for a S who might be great versus the run, but struggle a little more versus the pass. Clemson ran quite a bit of cover-6 with Mackensie Alexander. Alexander's side ran the cover-2 and the other side ran the cover-3. The elite corner can bait the QB into throws that might result in picks and allows a defense to have an extra run defender, while hopefully shutting down the other side with cover-3.

Our personnel would fit the cover-6 if Redwine develops as hoped, where he can press-jam the WR and cover up some of the deficiencies of one of our safeties. Elder is a great cover-3 corner with his recovery speed.

The Diaz defense turned out to be better than I expected when all is said and done. I'd like to see him clean up some of the conversions allowed by playing softer coverage more often and not getting frustrated or antsy when the defense isn't getting to the QB early in the game. If we implement a little more cover-6 into the cover-3 tendencies and tailor our game plan to our opponent I am confident he can really turn this defense around quickly thanks to the simple-but-effective techniques he asks of his players. Cover-3 is a first day install at any high school program on defense so it isn't asking a lot of his players outside of SS and nickel CB, which has to play both as a force player (against the run) and carry a certain zone (seam for SS, underneath for nickel).

Welcome back to the days of Miami football. The days of pressuring QB's, forcing turnovers, and SS's who want to end your game.

Cover-6 is Quarters (Cover-4) on the strong side and Cover-2 on the backside. (4+2 = 6)

Nice work though. That's a longgggg post with a lot of detail.

Last edited:
MSU defense had a dramatic turnaround under Diaz.
#56 Total Def
#22-Scroing Def (19.9)
#17-Rushing Def(214.9)
#17-TFL (7.0)

FWIW MSU Offense was 122nd in Time of possession. Diaz defensive stats are impressive when you consider all things.
Plus their in the SEC West with the big boys.
Im looking forward to seeing what becomes of our defensive talent under Diaz. I really believe our divisional foes are in for a rude awakening!

Good to hear Miss St improved under Diaz in just 1 year. So we should expect very good results in year one at Miami.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back