Jawaan Taylor 247 Update

Golden Era

i mean Richt Era
http://miami.247sports.com/Bolt/Canes-in-good-shape-for-massive-OL-35863011

- On UM's Junior Day; I liked (Canes assistant) Hurlie Brown and (head coach) Al Golden," he said. "They are just really cool guys. I liked a lot of the players. I am friends with a lot of the players. They are doing some upgrades and getting some new stuff as far as facilities and things like that, so I really like it there."

- On UF OL coach; "I talk to coach Summers and try to talk to him about what I need to do grades-wise and keep up with him," Taylor said. "I went to one of their games and it was fun."

- Will take OV's during season to see games etc.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1672865/highlights

Look for this kid to blow up, very solid OL prospect has a high ceiling at guard, maybe one of the few OL prospects we take this year.

Advertisement
Stood next to this kid while refing a game last year....Most massive individual I have ever seen. Wasn't all that impressed with his technique, but you can not teach that size. Very solid build, not sloppy, seems pretty athletic.

wait, what? what facility upgrades are we doing now?

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/more-news/u-of-miami-playing-catchup-in-facilities-arms-race.html

U. of Miami Playing Catchup in Facilities Arms Race
by Matt Porter Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

CORAL GABLES -- Thirty years ago, when former Miami Hurricanes quarterback Steve Walsh visited UM as a recruit, he didn't think too hard about the football facilities.

There was a weight room, a practice field and some meeting rooms. Aside from that, what else was needed?

"I was at a high school where they said 'OK, the weights are over there, go lift weights for a half-hour and meet us on the field,' " Walsh said.

Today's top football recruits are more pampered. Many begin high-level training in elementary school, receive year-round coaching and have a sophisticated knowledge of how to fuel their bodies. They are fitter, faster and stronger than ever.

To attract them, the best college programs build palaces.

Alabama has a waterfall therapy room, a $10 million players' lounge and a $9 million, 37,000-square-foot weight room -- for reference, that's the same size as Michael Jordan's house in Jupiter. Oregon spent $68 million on a 145,000 square-foot complex, paid for largely by Nike founder Phil Knight, which has a nearly 300-foot wall of television screens and a weight room paved with Brazilian hardwood floors.

Miami, a private university with the ninth-smallest enrollment among Power 5 conference schools, has always been behind in the arms race.

"I don't know how they are now," said Larry Coker, UM's coach from 2001 to 2006 and the coach at Texas-San Antonio since 2011. "But when I was there, the facilities weren't very good."

No longer, UM would proudly reply.

Pouring money into upgrades

UM's $25 million facilities upgrade includes the $14 million Schwartz Center, which last August replaced the 35-year-old Hecht Center as the home of its athletes.

It includes a new locker room, players' lounge, hydrotherapy suite, academic halls and as of this summer, a dining hall for athletes.

This summer, UM also revamped its football practice fields, installing a 70-yard artificial turf surface and upgrading two full-size grass fields with an new drainage system, addressing a problem that forced the Hurricanes to periodically practice on soccer and baseball fields.

By October, the basketball teams get a $1 million video board in the BankUnited Center.

When Wake Forest, Virginia Tech and Syracuse open indoor football practice facilities in 2015, the Hurricanes will be the only ACC team lacking shelter from the elements. Every school in the SEC except Florida has one. Weather-protected indoor practices are a long-term hope. Before that, UM plans to add light towers to the outdoor fields.

"We have to keep investing in the program, because that's what our competition is doing," UM Athletic Director Blake James said. "While we've taken a significant step forward, we can never stand still."

Players pay attention

Do recruits really care about a school's amenities? Depends on who you ask.

Orange Park-Oakleaf High junior Shaquille Quarterman, a linebacker committed to UM, said amenities are "important" but "not a deal-breaker."

Pembroke Pines-Flanagan senior wide receiver Emonee Spence said UM's facilities were one of the reasons he committed. "I felt a connection and it felt like home," he said. "I didn't dislike anything about it."

Hurricanes senior Phillip Dorsett, a wide receiver from Fort Lauderdale-St. Thomas Aquinas, said he loves the new practice fields. "I've always been big on facilities," Dorsett said. "I played on turf all four years in high school. I'm glad we have it."

Junior cornerback Tracy Howard remembers playing on "dirt fields with rocks" at Miramar High. "It doesn't matter what you have," Howard said. "You can have a two-story, three-story weight room, all this equipment, but that won't make you a good team."

Hurricanes star running back Duke Johnson, also a junior, said he didn't think twice about what amenities UM offered.

"The only thing that mattered to me was staying close to home and staying and playing for my town and my family," he said.

The stadium issue

Miami is one of 21 FBS programs that plays its games off-campus. Of 128 FBS schools, only Massachusetts (68 miles) and Connecticut (19 miles) play farther from campus than the Hurricanes (17 miles). The Orange Bowl was six miles away.

UM has 18 years left on its 25-year lease at Sun Life Stadium -- which Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has pledged to upgrade -- but the Hurricanes have several times in the last three decades explored a move closer to campus, including recent talks with a potential MLS franchise headed by David Beckham. UM is landlocked in Coral Gables, but sports business consultant Rick Horrow will never rule out UM getting its own home somewhere near campus.

"Architects and urban planners have done incredible joint developments with very limited land," said Horrow, a Jupiter resident and former executive director of the Miami Sports and Exhibition Authority. A stadium could happen, he said, with a developer "that's prepared to be flexible and forward-thinking about what the future of UM could be."

Miami will never have the latest and greatest, but it feels good about what it has now. And it has always been proud of its on-field success.

"When a kid's going around to the top programs in the ACC and SEC, we're kind of comical," said Walsh, who played 11 seasons in the NFL and now coaches Cardinal Newman. "We're always trying to catch-up. We're never out in front of it. But it never really mattered.

"The film worked and the video worked and we got great coaching and we went out and (won). The attitude was, 'This is what we've got. Let's go out and win.' "

mporter@pbpost.com Twitter: @mattyports

UM has upgraded many of its athletic facilities and has others in the works:

Summer 2014
Track and field: Resurfacing of track.
Tennis: Resurfacing of courts, lighting upgraded
All sports: New athletic training table for Hecht Residental College.

Fall 2014
Basketball: New video board at BankUnited Center.
Football: Lighting added to Greentree Practice Fields.

Football: Sun Life Stadium renovations scheduled for completion*.

TBD
Baseball: Renovations to coaches' offices, locker room.

Advertisement
Been hearing there might be even more upgrades, in the end though we will never beat bama or oregon, every year someone donates millions upon millions into the programs

Been hearing there might be even more upgrades, in the end though we will never beat bama or oregon, every year someone donates millions upon millions into the programs

IMO, the main upgrade that is needed is an indoor facility. ever fall we miss practice time bc of thunderstorms. that shouldve been and should be a priority of the admin, but I won't hold my breath waiting on it

"The film worked and the video worked and we got great coaching and we went out and (won). The attitude was, 'This is what we've got. Let's go out and win.' "

Advertisement

IMO, the main upgrade that is needed is an indoor facility. ever fall we miss practice time bc of thunderstorms. that shouldve been and should be a priority of the admin, but I won't hold my breath waiting on it

honestly its more than that we need to compete in the facility department

OL Jawaan Taylor vs DL Michael Perry
[video=youtube;1vZEgObHGhg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vZEgObHGhg[/video]

An for those wondering Michael Perry is a 2016 DT from Tenn with offers from Miss, Mizzo, and Tenn (none of which I would believe are committable and most likely won't be until late into the recruiting season).

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back