2016 DE Bethel Making Own Decision

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
The 2014 Vero Beach (Fla.) Indians may have had a strong season after finishing 11-1, but for 2016 defensive end Patrick Bethel this offseason is the most important he will have.

“Right now we’re doing a lot of conditioning, it’s a main focus. I’m going to be working on some of the more finer points of my position.” said Bethel. “I really want to mostly improve my get off and then my play after the whistle. That’s what you do after the snap, getting those two basic things down.”

Bethel doesn’t model his game after any football player in particular, but he does admire the style of Houston Texans defensive ends JJ Watt and Jadaveon Clowney.

For recruiting, there is no shortage of schools as the 6’3 242 pound rush end hears from almost everyone. Bethel is entertaining pitches from Notre Dame, Ohio State, FAU, Tennessee, Miami and many more.

Bethel’s father, Randy Bethel, played for the Hurricanes from 1988 to 1990. While most would assume that the former Hurricane is talking up his alma matter, The Vero Beach product says he’s taken a hands off approach to his son’s recruitment.

“He’ll lead me and guide me in terms of what I should be looking for in a school and what I should know, but as far as decision making and what school he’s never even said a word about that.”

Bethel recently attended a junior day at Miami and enjoyed the family message that the Hurricane coaches were pitching to him.

“I like how it’s family oriented and when I say that I mean the coaches are real and not going to beat around the bush. They’re honest about what they do and they have a lot of potential,” said Bethel. “Coral Gables is nice, I got to see what was going on and the best part was talking to the actual players and seeing what they had to say.”

Sure enough while down in Coral Gables Bethel was hearing pitches from all the current 2016 commitments to Miami.

“They had all the recruits together and the ones who were already committed were trying to persuade me to come, but they kept talking about how it’s a family and how they focus themselves around you and make sure they get the best out of you.”

Ironically, a team that Randy Bethel is very familiar with: Notre Dame, is also recruiting his son.

“I like everybody equally right now, but if you’re talking about them. They have a nice history, real rich tradition, a great coaching staff and a lot of great potential as well.” said Bethel.

Bethel currently has no visits set up and doesn’t have a definitive date for a decision, however Bethel does plan on being an early enrollee, so he expects to make his choice by the end of the year.

“I plan on being an early graduate, I don’t know for sure yet. Obviously it will be some time this year, but I can’t give a hard date.”

Highlights:http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3005483/highlights/208912377/v2

Last edited:
Advertisement
"Bethel’s father, Randy Bethel, played for the Hurricanes from 1988 to 1990. While most would assume that the former Hurricane is talking up his alma matter, The Vero Beach product says he’s taken a hands off approach to his son’s recruitment."

Over the last decade, it seems like for us having former Canes as parents or coaches of blue chip recruits is only a limited advantage while for other schools having a legacy recruit or a former player coaching a kid leads to commit after commit. I know the coaching staffs we've had, along with our lack of success on the field contributes to this, but **** this really sucks. But hey we got Ray Lewis III! Would be really nice to land Bethel.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I told this to DMoney, but this is a kid that Miami is really going to have to show it on the field for. He's also being recruited by OSU hard, so results have to be shown.

Golden's going to likely be fired after this upcoming year with a new president. It's going to be really interesting to see how things work out in December.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I told this to DMoney, but this is a kid that Miami is really going to have to show it on the field for. He's also being recruited by OSU hard, so results have to be shown.

Ughhhh. Thanks for the 411. I think....

Here's a more concise answer: Yes there is a good chance, but Miami has to win to seal the deal, not have another disappointing season.

If Butch or Schiano were here I'm sure Randy would be supporting his son coming to the U. Golden hasn't sold any of these kids committed for 2016. They all have been pro canes all their life.

Ughhhh. Thanks for the 411. I think....

Here's a more concise answer: Yes there is a good chance, but Miami has to win to seal the deal, not have another disappointing season.

Oh, I got what you were saying the first time. Just not too confident that it's good news (hence Thanks..I think) given our coaching staff. Thanks again for parlaying the information though.

Advertisement
Back