Class of 2016: updated as of 1/21/18

2016_Swag.jpg

there goes our starting line up in 2 years lol

Advertisement
Little tidbit on Tyler Byrd I found out. He was a two time EastBay Youth All-American as a WR/DB and won the MVP as an 8th grader.

Advertisement
Miami commit LB Zach McCloud out of Santaluces HS at the #NikeCombine

6-1.5, 217
4.86 40
36.3 Vert
82.92 Rating

Advertisement
Greg_Simmons_11621416_ver1.jpg

hudl | Rivals | ESPN | Scout | 247Sports

Greg Simmons
Inside Linebacker
Fort Pierce, FL (Fort Pierce Central)
Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 225 | 40: 4.65

Inside linebacker
Fort Pierce, Florida
Fort Pierce Central
Ht:6'2"
Wt:225 lbs
Class:2016 (High School)

RIDING WITH THE BEST @LongLiveJonJon_
@Cobra_Athlete31 Congrats bro good Stuff man I used to always hearing you talk about the ������ lifetime Fan and Goals BALL OUT IN FALL MAN ��✊��

J.Hodge #⃣2⃣0⃣ @justen_hodge20
Congrats To My Dawg Greg on The Offer from His Dream school ✊�� @Cobra_Athlete31

Yung CVM #FreeChevy @Babyboy_3hunna
@ThatDude_Hari @Cobra_Athlete31 ain no point in any others schools offering now ctfu

Chris Nee @CNee247
RT [MENTION=3951]Coach[/MENTION]ShafferFPC Told a lot of guys about a lot of offers, telling @Cobra_Athlete31 about the offer of his dreams about had me tear up!

2016 in-state linebacker lands "dream offer" from UM
In recent years, Miami Hurricanes fans that follow recruiting have grown accustomed to hearing recruits say that an offer from Miami, is a "dream offer." Recruits casually throw around those two words a lot nowadays and will end up signing with another university in the end.

Well, there might actually be a recruit out there who means those two words. His name is Greg Simmons and he a 2016 inside linebacker from Fort Pierce Central high school in Fort Pierce, Florida.

Simmons has a couple offers from the likes of Maryland, Cincinnati, Bowling Green, and others, but on Tuesday he was offered by the 'Canes and finally received his "dream offer."

"I almost fainted and I had to sit down for a moment to collect all my thoughts," said Simmons after receiving the offer. "It was just a dream come true because all of the sacrifices and all of the hard work had finally paid off."

The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder says he and his dad are massive UM fans and never miss a game.

"I mean the University of Miami is one of the best colleges in America, period. I've grown up watching UM with my dad and we are both Miami fans in our heart. I never miss watching Miami play, man. Whether it's on TV or I'll go down to Sun Life Stadium to watch them play. It's just crazy how I went from watching them, to them watching my highlight film, to them offering me a full-ride scholarship. I just have to thank God," said Simmons.

Why wouldn't a lifelong UM fan like himself immediately jump at the opportunity and commit on the spot to play for his so-called, "dream school."

"My coaches and my father know what's best for me and they just told me to wait it out. Even if it's only a couple days, just weigh your options they told me. I wanted to jump at the gun, but my father and coaches reminded me to stay humble and give it some thought," said Simmons.

So what if the Hurricanes do in fact land Simmons' services? What kind of player will be stepping on to campus?

"I've always been taught to go get the ball because defense is most important. Just stopping an opponent from scoring determines the outcome of the game so I take pride in that. Off the field, I'm always humble. I haven't missed a practice since high school started. I'm always conditioning and just trying to improve myself and my teammates," said Simmons.

While a lot can change within the next 51 weeks before the 2016 National Signing Day, it is evident the Miami Hurricanes are in a very good position to land Greg Simmons.

2/18/18
Fort Pierce Central ‏@Cobra_Athlete31
Proud to Say that I am Committing to University of Miami.. Can't wait to See my Jersey #31 .. It's All about the "U"

View attachment 30765
LB Greg Simmons commits to Nebraska
Nate Clouse
6/25/16

The wait to know where Ft. Pierce (Fla.) Central linebacker Greg Simmons was going to commit to ended today as he announced his intentions to sign with Nebraska next February.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pound Simmons had been a longtime Miami commit, but decided to part ways with the Canes shortly after an unofficial visit to Nebraska for Big Red Weekend. The talented prospect had been able to develop a strong relationship with Huskers linebacker coach Trent Bray through the spring and connected with head coach Mike Riley and several current players while in Lincoln.

Simmons called Nebraska "utopia" following his unofficial visit earlier this month.

"Yes sir, Coach Riley is a laid-back coach with great respect and is lots of fun," Simmons told HuskerOnline following his visit in mid-June.

"Every coach has a positive mindset. Coach Bray is a guy that I'd love to play for. He is wise beyond his years. He's a mentor and a great linebacker coach. We have a close bond already.

"I got to know De'Mornay Pierson-El, Avery Anderson, Kieron Williams and more of the late enrollees. They are like family already, great group of guys. I see them as brothers already."

While in Lincoln, Simmons said he literally got to see every aspect of Nebraska's football program and referred to it as "utopia".

"Well, to be honest I've seen it all down to their (performance) lab to the gym," Simmons said in regards to Nebraska's program. "They're committed on making a 'machine' football player. I've never seen everything connected to the stadium. I love it, man.

"Nebraska is utopia or perfect. It's what I've been looking for."

The Huskers have been on a steady roll adding commits from defensive end Ben Stille, safety Marquel Dismuke, linebacker Quayshon Alexander, and tight end Jack Stoll over the last couple of weeks. NU's 2016 class currently sits at 12 commitments.

Simmons is currently ranked as the No. 28 overall inside linebacker in the nation. He committed to the Huskers over offers from Miami, Louisville, N.C. State, Kentucky, and Maryland among others.

3026577.jpg

Fort Pierce Central @Cobra_Athlete31
Proud to Say that I am Committing to University of Miami.. Can't wait to See my Jersey #31 .. It's All about the "U"

Welcome To The U: Greg Simmons
by Andrew Ferrelli 6m ago FOLLOW @@CANESWAGGER01

The Miami Hurricanes continue to add to an insanely talented 2016 class. Today, Greg Simmons from Fort Pierce became Miami’s 18th commit for 2016. Miami’s 2016 class is far and away the top class in the country and it is continuously getting even better. Simmons is rated as a 3 star linebacker and has offers from many schools, including Maryland and Cincinnati.

— Fort Pierce Central (@Cobra_Athlete31) February 18, 2015

Simmons loves to attacks and is a very physical linebacker at 6’2-225. He is all over the field and can rack up a ton of tackles. Simmons is now the fourth linebacker in this class, joining Shaq Quarterman, Mike Pinckney, and Zach McCloud. Simmons was thrilled when he received his Miami offer just a few days ago and has credited former Miami LB, Sean Spence, as a player he looks up to. Greg Simmons is the 18th commit in Miami’s 2016 class and amazingly enough, all 18 come from Florida. The staff is doing a tremendous job of locking down local talent for 2016.

707761_4783505_ver1.JPG

Welcome to the U, Greg Simmons
By Cameron J. Underwood @UnderwoodSports on Feb 18, 2015, 3:42p +

Miami has so much Swag for 2016 it's incredible
The #Swag16 class added another highly touted player when LB Greg Simmons committed to The U on Wednesday afternoon.

So, the #1 rated #Swag16 recruiting class got even deeper on Wednesday afternoon.

— Fort Pierce Central (@Cobra_Athlete31) February 18, 2015

Fort Pierce Central LB Greg Simmons is the latest player to give his commitment to the Hurricanes. The 6'2" 225lb Simmons is another talented and physical LB who could add depth and talent to a position that desperately needs it. He joins Shaq Quarterman, Zach McCloud, and Michael Pinckney as LB commits in the Swag16 class.

2016Swag021815.jpg

Added Greg Simmons

What i love about this class is the number of great athletes who play multiple sports and multiple positions.

Amir Rasul (RB/S, track)
McArthur Burnett (RB/WR/DB)
Dionte Mullins (WR/DB)
Greg Simmons (LB/RB)
James Wiggins (CB/WR)
Devin Gil (S/LB)
Ahmmon Richards (WR/DB)
Tyler Byrd (DB/WR)
Evan Hinson (TE/DE, Basketball)
Joseph Jackson (DE/TE, Basketball)
Isaiah Johnson (TE/WR)

Last edited:
4_1280744.jpg

hudl | Rivals | ESPN | Scout | 247Sports | Twitter

Antwuan Jackson Jr.
6-3, 273 | 40: 5.23 | Class of 2016
Hometown: Ellenwood, Ga.
School: Cedar Grove High School
Position: Defensive Tackle

Antwuan Jackson
Defensive Tackle
Ellenwood, GA (Cedar Grove)
Ht: 6-2.5 | Wt: 285

Antwuan Jackson 4* DT Offered
⭐️Antwuan Jackson⭐️ ‏@Hercules__52 5m5 minutes ago
Just got offered by Miami !!! #Miami #Hurricanes The U baby

Last edited:
Advertisement
4_1280744.jpg

Antwuan Jackson Jr.

Antwuan Jackson
Defensive Tackle

Now that's a real take right there. If Ant Jackson gets to commit this month or soon, that'll be too much attention blown on our Canes. This one has a nasty streak and quality athlete. DT is definite position of need!

4_1280744.jpg

Antwuan Jackson Jr.

Antwuan Jackson
Defensive Tackle

Now that's a real take right there. If Ant Jackson gets to commit this month or soon, that'll be too much attention blown on our Canes. This one has a nasty streak and quality athlete. DT is definite position of need!

Kid looks solid. His HS Sounds familiar. Did we recently have a DT commit from there?

4_1280744.jpg

Antwuan Jackson Jr.

Antwuan Jackson
Defensive Tackle

Kid looks solid. His HS Sounds familiar. Did we recently have a DT commit from there?

Quentez Johnson kid was committed to us for a short time.

Advertisement
I expect us to sign around 30 this class. Here is who we should have in 2016.

Offense: (14) Returnees: (36)
QB: 2
Commits: Alison
Retunees (4): Kaaya (Jr), Rosier (RSo), Shirreffs (RFr.), Crow (Sr)

RB/FB: 3
Commits: Rasul, Burnett
Returnees (5): Gus (Sr), Yearby (Jr), Gray (Jr), Tucker (Sr), Walton (So)

TE: 2
Commits: Hinson
Returnees (5): Dobbard (Sr), Herndon (Jr), Washington (RSo), Njoku (RSo), O'Donnell (Sr)

WR: 5
Commits: Mullins, Bruce, Richards, Johnson
Returnees (6): Coley (Sr), Lewis (RSr), Berrios (Jr), Brady (Jr), Langham (RSo), Cager (RFr), Jones (Sr)

OL: 2
Commits:
Returnees (16): Isidora (Sr), Linder (Jr), McDermott (RSo), Darling (Jr), Gadbois (Sr), Gall (Sr), Odogwu (RJr), Knighton (RJr), Jones (Jr), Grimsley (RSo), Brown (RSo), Milo (So), St. Louis (So), Loftus (RFr), Mahoney (RFr), Gauthier (RFr)

Defense: (16) Returnees: (31)
DT: 2
Commits: Camp
Returnees (7): Moten (Jr), Moore (RSr), Jenkins (Jr), Hamilton (RSr), Fines (RFr), Norton (RFr), McIntosh (RFr)

DE: 2
Commits: Jackson
Returnees (8): AQM (RJr), Thomas (Jr), Willis (RSo), Jackson (RSo), Harris (Jr), Smith (RSo), Patchan (So), Gordinier (RFr)

LB: 5
Commits: Quarterman, Pinckney, McCloud, Simmons
Returnees (7): Grace (Sr), Young (Jr), Owens (Jr), Gayot (Jr), Perry (So), McCray (RSo), King (RFr)

S: 3
Commits: Wright, Gil
Returnees (4): Carter (Sr), Jenkins (RSr), Johnson (So), Knowles (RFr)

CB: 4
Commits: Byrd, Wiggins, Jackson
Returnees (5): Burns (Sr), Elder (Sr), Mayes (RSo), Jackson (RFr), Redwine (RFr)

We will have 67 scholarship players + a K & P which brings the total number up to 69. We have room for 16 if no one leaves the team prematurely in the next 1½ years.

My guess is we may lose 1-2 juniors to the NFL, some 5th year seniors will transfer to get more playing time or be asked not to come back after graduating. There will be a few that will transfer for various reasons, and a couple that will get kicked off for disciplinary reasons. This will begin to unfold during the spring. I would not be surprise if we lose another 15 before the 2016 season to make room for 30 new recruits.

Potential Early NFL: AQM, Burns, Coley, Dobbard, Isadora, Elder, Grace, Carter, Gus
5th year seniors: Crow, Jones, O'Donnell, Hamilton, Moore, Gadbois, Jenkins, Malcom, Gall

A typical scholarship distribution should look something like this. () shows how many we will have in 2016 based on our current roster.

Offense - 42 (36)
QB – 5 (4)
RB – 7 (5)
TE – 5 (5)
OL – 15 (16)
WR -10 (6)

Defense - 41 (31)
DE -7 (8)
DT – 7 (7)
LB – 12 (7)
S – 6 (4)
CB – 9 (5)

Special Teams - 2 (2)
K – 1 (1)
P – 1 (1)

As you can see our positions of most need for 2016 in terms of numbers are: LB, S, CB, WR
We need at least 5 WRs and 5 LBs in this class. We also need at least 7-8 DBs.
We may take only 1 QB depending on how Shirreffs and Rosier develop this year.
We need at least 2 RBs this year.
We need 2 TEs since 2 will graduate after 2016. Depending on how Washington, Njoku and Herndon develops we may only need 1 in 2016 and 1 in 2017.
We need 2 DE and DT to upgrade the positions and create separation, same with OL.

Last edited:
2016Swag021915.jpg

Updated 247Sports Composite Rankings

Can someone explain how this class is so good?

So far a lot of "Miami" guys who want to be at Miami that happen to be really talented and wanted by the staff. It just seems that this class has guys who have grown up Miami fans and worked all their life to be at the U and committed when offered.

Mike, Shaq, Zach, Greg all have Miami as their dream school and worked to get that offer and committed when given the opportunity.

Mullins and Wright are life long Hurricanes and Jackson wanted to play with them.

Burnett and Hinson have also mentioned being life long Canes and both committed when offered.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back