2016 ATH Newbold Starring at Carol City

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
Many south Florida football fans figured it would be tough for the Carol City Chiefs to find an athlete to replace Trayone Gray after graduating this past year. However, 2016 athlete Steven Newbold is looking to follow in Grays playmaking footsteps this upcoming season. Newbold and the Chiefs participated in the Dolphins 7 on 7 tournament and were looking to compete.

“We just come out of here to win, but we have to make sure we come out here do what we have to do and make the plays. We do what our coaches say which is do the ‘111’, which means go the whole way and go all the way out, all day.”

Newbold is a dual sided athlete as he is playing both defense and offense for his team. He takes a lot of pride with that privilege and respects his coaches for giving him the opportunity to showcase his talents.

“It means to me that I know if the coaches got my back, that I have to have theirs as well. If they trust me, then I believe in them.”

The 5’11 170 pound athlete prefers to play on the offensive side and compares himself to a receiver that Hurricane fans know oh so well.

“Stacy Coley, to tell you the truth when I was at McArthur last year I would always watch him because we had to face him. I would watch his highlights, study him, see what he does and learn from his mistakes.”

While the young Dade county prospect doesn’t have that many schools after him at the moment, he’s already attracted the attention of the hometown Hurricanes.

“Really I only have Nebraska and The U, but it’s early and a long road. I’m only in 11th grade so I’ve got time.”

When asked what he liked about the ‘Canes, he pointed out one of his closest and dearest childhood friends on the team.

“I’d like to give a shout out to Tracy “Bra Man” Howard, #3 for “The U”. I was born and raised with him, thats my main man and we were on the block playing tackle football on the concrete. He was always with me and he taught me how to play ball so I love him for that.”

Newbold admits that Howard being at Miami plays a big role for him when it comes time to make a decision.

*Newbold does plan on attending one of the Miami camps this summer.

Advertisement
Want this kid. Seen more and more of him. Very impressive and does remind me of Coley. A hair shorter but very similar game.

Advertisement
Tito is Carol City back?

Will the West ever get back?

Carol City has a good amount of talent, it's an already tough district, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them put up some numbers against teams this year.

I do think the West will return

Advertisement
It wasn't specified within the interview, but Miami's in really good shape here.

That's great news and I would love for Newbold's recruitment to have a much happier ending for us than another stud receiver who we were once in really good shape for (Ridley).

We're a long, long ways away, but Newbold and Bruce should be two of our top WR targets in '16. Both are beasts.

Tito is Carol City back?

The West didnt leave...just in the same district as the best team in florida...and one of the top in the nation (Central)......

It wont take much for them to be on the role again....They have sthe strongest alumni in dade....they make sure their kids go to MNW....

Tito is Carol City back?

The West didnt leave...just in the same district as the best team in florida...and one of the top in the nation (Central)......

It wont take much for them to be on the role again....They have sthe strongest alumni in dade....they make sure their kids go to MNW....
That's good so sounds like the West will be back within a few years. I know that NW and Carol City have been pretty strong historically (Norland too) and was wondering when they would get back to State Title type levels.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back