Pete et al. -- Who are the potential EEs?

That;'s true. 2012 was a monster class and IIRC, there weren't that many EEs. Had a couple non quals and some EEs (who were the 2012 EEs?). See what I mean? This could go on and on. How was 2011 class? who were EEs? And so on. Hard to know what the exact number is.

I think we're all in agreement, though, that this class will be around 29-32 (I'm assuming non-quals).

Advertisement
Here is my understanding of the carrying over of scholarships (not total ships being used), this has nothing to do with sanctions either. I realized after this is a tremendous waste of time:

21 kids signed of which 3 never enrolled (Grooms, Kinnard & Gadbois). We added transfers Michael Williams (DB WF) Blake Ayles (TE USC) and Ryan Williams (QB Memphis). [21-3+3=21]

Of these 21 kids above, 3 enrolled early (Ayles, Finnie and Pierre) so we had 18 apply to the 2011 class with 7 that could carry over.

+7 (Could Be Applied to 2011)

33 kids signed of which 1 never enrolled (Jean-Louis). [33-1=32]

Of these 32 kids, 9 enrolled early (Crow, Hope, Dewey, Flowers, Gabois, Gunter, Kirby, Hoilett and Witt) but only 7 could be counted towards 2011.

7 of the 32 kids applied to 2011. 25 kids applied toward 2012, so we had 0 scholarship carry over.

0 (Could be applied to 2012)

20 kids signed of which 3 never enrolled (Griffin, Lockley and Bond). We added transfers David Gilbert (DE Wisc), Pat O'Donnell (Cinn P), Naim Mustafaa (DE OSU) and Justin Renfrow (DT UVA). [20-3+4=21]

Of these 21 kids, 5 enrolled early (Sandland, Dobard, Knighton, Figueroa and Odogwu ) but none counted towards 2012. We had 21 apply to the 2013 class with a carryover of 4.

My guess is we are at +4. Which means (ignoring sanctions) we could bring in 29 kids, 4 could apply to the 2013 class (if they enrolled early).

+4 (Could be applied to 2013)

What a waste of time!!!!!!

Last edited:
mr. consigliere,

for 2011, I had:

1. DL Olsen Pierre
2. DB Thomas Finnie

2011 Signing Class
3. QB Ryan Williams (1)
4. RB Dallas Crawford (2)
5. WR Rashawn Scott (3)
6. WR Phillip Dorsett (4)
7. TE Blake Ayles (5)
8. OL Hunter Wells (6)
9. DL Anthony Chickillo (7)
10. DL Ricardo Williams (8)
11. DL Jalen Grimble (9)
12. DL Junior Alexis (10)
13. DL Darius Smith (11)
14. DL Corey King (12)
15. LB Thurston Armbrister (13)
16. LB Eddie Johnson (14)
17. LB Denzel Perryman (15)
18. LB Gionni Paul (16)
19. KP Matt Goudis (17)
20. KP Dalton Botts (18)

completely forgot about michael williams though...wow.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The thing that confuses me is Witt, Ayles and Mustafaa. There may be some weird rule for one of these kids. None played any downs, 2 were on the PUP list (from day 1) and 1 was in a transfer limbo. It would not shock me if 1 of these kids did not count as a counter but I have no idea.

My guess is we have between 4-6 kids that can be counted toward the 2013 class.

Thanks all. Good to see we have more EEs than markers, so we will max out our commits this year across both 2013 and 2014 classes.

Man some of y'all are on some strong ****.

I'm not saying we will get the following players but if they want to commit please believe AG and staff will not say no to Cook, Lane, Fournette, Damian Prince, Terrell Clinkscales, Moten, Joe Mixon, Seedy Noil, or Gerald Willis III.

The numbers will always work out.

Advertisement
That's 12 EE's. Since we signed 16 last year we can back date 9 EE's this year which means we can sign up to 37 players.

Not saying we will, but with 9 EE's, 37 is our cap.

we had 21 initial counters last year, so we can COUNT(we can take as many EE's as we want) 4 EE's towards 2013 and take a total of 29(25+4) this year:

1. QB Kevin Olsen (1)
2. RB Augustus Edwards (2)
3. WR Stacy Coley (3)
4. TE Standish Dobard (4)
5. TE Beau Sandland (5)
6. OL Alex Gall (6)
7. OL Hunter Knighton (7)
8. OL Sonny Odogwu (8)
9. DL Alquadin Muhammad (9)
10. DL David Gilbert (10)
11. DL Naim Mustafaa (11)
12. DL Ufomba Kamalu (12)
13. DL Justin Renfrow (13)
14. LB Jermaine Grace (14)
15. LB Alex Figueroa (15)
16. LB Walter Tucker (16)
17. DB Artie Burns (17)
18. DB Ray Lewis (18)
19. DB Cornelius Elder (19)
20. DB Jamal Carter (20)
21. KP Pat O'Donnell (21)

Pretty sure o'donell graduated so dont think you would count him

Here is my understanding of the carrying over of scholarships (not total ships being used), this has nothing to do with sanctions either. I realized after this is a tremendous waste of time:

20 kids signed of which 3 never enrolled (Grooms, Kinnard & Gadbois). We added transfers Michael Williams (DB WF) Blake Ayles (TE USC) and Ryan Williams (QB Memphis). [20-3+3=20]

Of these 20 kids above, 2 enrolled early (Finnie and Pierre) so we had 18 apply to the 2011 class with 7 that could carry over.

Of these 32 kids, 9 enrolled early (Crow, Hope, Dewey, Flowers, Gabois, Gunter, Kirby, Hoilett and Witt) but only 7 could be counted towards 2011.

7 of the 32 kids applied to 2011. 25 kids applied toward 2012, so we had 0 scholarship carry over.

20 kids signed of which 3 never enrolled (Griffin, Lockley and Bond). We added transfers David Gilbert (DE Wisc), Naim Mustafaa (DE OSU) and Justin Renfrow (DT UVA). [20-3+3=20]

Of these 20 kids, 5 enrolled early (Sandland, Dobard, Knighton, Figueroa and Odogwu ) but none counted towards 2012. We had 20 apply to the 2013 class with a carryover of 5.

My guess is we are at +5. Which means (ignoring sanctions) we could sign 30 kids, 5 could apply to the 2013 class (if they enrolled early).

+5 (Could be applied to 2013)

What a waste of time!!!!!!

By your own math 20 signed last year with 3 not enrolling leaves 17. The cyborg, Renfrow and Gilbert don't count as they were grad transfers.
So, that left us with 17 last year, which means we can have 8 EE's this year to back date to last year.
17 + 8 = 25

Which also means we can sign up to 36 this year, with 8 counting for last year leaving us with 28 "official" 2013 signees.

Its huge that Darling and McDermott make it in early both with push for time and one of them could end up starting opening day next year

Advertisement
I'm guessing we will take around 29-30. But we could sign as many as 35 including 12 or so EE.

Everyone who's been around should know how this works. We can always take more than it seems. I could give an example if anyone's really curious.

Advertisement
Wow, some on you guys work harder on this stuff than I do at work. I am very impressed at the detail and effort put forth. I trust Al will find a way to take any big recruit who wants to come. We have an impressive hull so far and staff seems to be working a lot of recruits very hard; it looks like they plan are taking at leaat 30 and maybe more.

By your own math 20 signed last year with 3 not enrolling leaves 17. The cyborg, Renfrow and Gilbert don't count as they were grad transfers.
So, that left us with 17 last year, which means we can have 8 EE's this year to back date to last year.
17 + 8 = 25

Which also means we can sign up to 36 this year, with 8 counting for last year leaving us with 28 "official" 2013 signees.

First, who is the Cyborg? Mustafaa? How could we sign 36 this year even if we have 8 enroll early and are eligible for the last last. 36 -8 = 28, how could 28 count towards the 2014 class when the maximum is 25 per class.

Second, [no disrespect] this is the worst type of post. Please provide proper language from the NCAA bylaws or a source. Otherwise it is incorrect. Transfers count as initial counters when they enroll (either the current class or the past class if EE and available room).

[Warning Rather Boring!!!!]

15.02.3.1 Initial Counter. [FBS/FCS] An “initial counter” is a counter who is receiving countable financial aid in a sport for the first time. (See Bylaw 15.5.6.3 in football for instances in which the institution is permitted to defer the counting of such financial aid until the following academic year.)

15.5.6.1 Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS] There shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of initial counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1) and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including initial counters) in football at each institution

A: Are there different rules for graduate students?

Student-athletes who have graduated are subject to the same release requirements as undergraduates and must have at least one year of eligibility remaining. To be eligible for the one-time transfer exception, football, basketball, baseball and men’s ice hockey student athletes must have been denied a scholarship renewal at their original school. If the student-athlete wishes to pursue a degree program not offered at the original institution, he or she is eligible for a waiver to compete immediately at the new school.
-----------------------------------------

One of the more notable exceptions is the midyear enrollee. When an institution HAS NOT reached its yearly limit of 85 overall counters a midyear enrollee who will be an initial counter may count against either the current year's limit of 25 or the following year's 25. When an institution HAS reached its yearly limit of 85 the institution may award financial aid to additional incoming student-athletes at midyear under only the midyear graduate replacement exception. This exception rewards institutions for graduating football student athletes.

Specifically, it provides an institution with the ability to replace recently graduated student-athletes who have exhausted their eligibility in the current year with an incoming student athlete a semester earlier than normal. An additional benefit of the exception is that it allows institutions to bring in additional student-athletes beyond the allotted 85 for spring practice and preparation for the next season.

When the institution has reached its limit of 85 total counters, the midyear graduate replacement must count against the institution's limit of initial counters for the following year even if the institution had not reached its limit of initial counters for the current year and even if a replacement does not return for next year. The reason is that, but for this provision requiring the carrying forward of initial counter status, an institution using the midyear exception could essentially have a semester-long tryout for a few student-athletes and, if they proved dissatisfactory, dismiss the midyear replacements at semester’s end without consequence—the midyear replacements would never have had to count in overall or initial limits.

Last edited:

21 kids signed of which 3 never enrolled (Grooms, Kinnard & Gadbois). We added transfers Michael Williams (DB WF) Blake Ayles (TE USC) and Ryan Williams (QB Memphis). [21-3+3=21]

Of these 21 kids above, 3 enrolled early (Ayles, Finnie and Pierre) so we had 18 apply to the 2011 class with 7 that could carry over.

20 kids signed of which 3 never enrolled (Griffin, Lockley and Bond). We added transfers David Gilbert (DE Wisc), Pat O'Donnell (Cinn P), Naim Mustafaa (DE OSU) and Justin Renfrow (DT UVA). [20-3+4=21]

Of these 21 kids, 5 enrolled early (Sandland, Dobard, Knighton, Figueroa and Odogwu ) but none counted towards 2012. We had 21 apply to the 2013 class with a carryover of 4.

My guess is we are at +4. Which means (ignoring sanctions) we could bring in 29 kids, 4 could apply to the 2013 class (if they enrolled early).

+4 (Could be applied to 2013)

I edited this post to include Ayles as an EE which counted toward the 2010 class.

Last edited:
That's 12 EE's. Since we signed 16 last year we can back date 9 EE's this year which means we can sign up to 37 players.

Not saying we will, but with 9 EE's, 37 is our cap.

we had 21 initial counters last year, so we can COUNT(we can take as many EE's as we want) 4 EE's towards 2013 and take a total of 29(25+4) this year:

1. QB Kevin Olsen (1)
2. RB Augustus Edwards (2)
3. WR Stacy Coley (3)
4. TE Standish Dobard (4)
5. TE Beau Sandland (5)
6. OL Alex Gall (6)
7. OL Hunter Knighton (7)
8. OL Sonny Odogwu (8)
9. DL Alquadin Muhammad (9)
10. DL David Gilbert (10)
11. DL Naim Mustafaa (11)
12. DL Ufomba Kamalu (12)
13. DL Justin Renfrow (13)
14. LB Jermaine Grace (14)
15. LB Alex Figueroa (15)
16. LB Walter Tucker (16)
17. DB Artie Burns (17)
18. DB Ray Lewis (18)
19. DB Cornelius Elder (19)
20. DB Jamal Carter (20)
21. KP Pat O'Donnell (21)

Pretty sure o'donell graduated so dont think you would count him

5th year graduate transfers still count against the 25 initial counters. as do regular transfers(like ryan williams).

Advertisement
Back