Miami took a flash-knockdown in the early rounds but...

k9cane

Senior
they kept body-punching and eventually landed the knockout blow. If not for Philip Dorsett's muffed punt, this game is a runaway for the whole 4th quarter. But after getting down 17-7 in the first, UM out-scored GaTech 38-6 till a late garbage time TD. Now that's being U-tough

I think combined with GaTech's style( think of the crafty southpaw in boxing) and the fact Miami hasn't had a real game in about a month, this wasn't a surprise.

But I think this was Duke Johnson's best game in 2013. Forget the stats and the early fumble, when UM needed to settle down offensively and start relying a bit on the running game, 8 was there and made tough runs and made sure to protect the rock. This is what franchise backs do.

Stephen Morris, don't believe for one second his ankle is anything near fine and yeah, he had some picks, but he was also very good at times and delivered some really nice passes. Hey, the guy will force some stuff but he'll also make some incredible tosses. He is, what he is. And today, he gutted it out and led the team very well.

And a game ball to Ladarius Gunter, forget the pick-six( actually celebrate the **** outta it) but he was physical all day at corner and made some key plays that had the Jackets behind the sticks.

Also want to mention Allen "Hit Man'' Hurns, he's overshadowed by flashier, faster WR's on our roster. But this guy is steady and reliable. The kinda guy you undervalue till he's gone. Well, today, I think he had his best game as a Cane. On the flipside, can we pretty please with sugar on top get Dorsett off punt returns? He scares me to death

As for the whole D, again, after the 1st Q, they bowed up and kept the team in the game( even as they were put in tough spots beyond midfield). I don't care what the stats say, when it counted, they were solid, if not perfect

Miami is now 5-0, enjoy it, because it hasn't happened in a looooooong time and what does a good team do? They win when things aren't going perfectly and today, they actually ended up blowing out a difficult team. As Golden says,'Trust your training," well, after losing the early rounds, they came back to the corner bloodied and bruised, but like champions they kept punching and Mike McCallum would've been proud of this body attack.

5-0

Just let that sink in....

Now off to Chapel Hill
-

Last edited:
Advertisement
No doubt, they landed some punches and cut us. But we kept landing bombs. Too much

Just think about it, last year this weekend, UM was getting blasted by Notre Dame. Over-powered and embarrassed. Look how far this program/team has come.

Last year, I'm not sure UM wins a game like this. 2013, they win it going away

Love how a different receiver steps up each week. No such thing as a #1 receiver on this team imo with this depth.

Advertisement
Advertisement
A Body Snatcher reference even. Nice

Ha, glad you caught that, Mike McCallum was one of the great fighters of the 80's and over-shadowed and avoided by the big names between 154-160 in that era. I still remember him flattening Donald Curry, one of the great KO's I have ever seen

But back to our game, I think from this point on, the days of UM getting blown out and capitulating like last year against K-State and ND are over. With the full implementation of U-Tough, the right players, who have bought in, Miami will keep coming on for 60 minutes( and beyond)

Canes are going to be a headache for a looooong time

Mike McCallum was a skinny kid fighting out of Jamaica in Golden Gloves when I saw him at the Miami Marine Stadium in late 70's. He really filled out as he got older but even when he was skinny he was fun to watch as he was relentless.

Advertisement
Back