5-16

Advertisement
were on the way to having one of if not the best season we've had since 02. ill enjoy this one
I am enjoying this. Believe me I am. What I really appreciate is the way we always find a way to win. Then when I add the fact that we have been down quite a few players the last 2-3 weeks on top of the fact that we have depth issues when we're 100% healthy, it is even more impressive. This team is far from perfect but they have been a very resilient bunch that never give up. King has had a lot to do with that but I believe he has rubbed off on the rest of the team. Diaz said he was trying to change the culture last year. Well, it's players like D'erique King who make that possible. What I want to see is improvement. We have seen major improvement in the WR corps over the course of the season especially the last 3 games. It started with Harley in the Virginia game and it has spread to Pope and Wiggins. It's great to see and I want to see this trio continue to improve and make plays.

Before VT the offensive line had made excellent strides in terms of pass protection. Covid decimated our OL for the Virginia Tech Game as the pass protection was downright abysmal. It reminded me of how bad we were last year and also how far we had come. When those players return from Covid protocol, our OL will be back to full strength. The OL still has a way to go in terms of run blocking but I'm confident that with the experience gained by the end of this year and a full normal off season with a spring, summer and fall under their belts that coach Justice will be able to have this unit much improved going into 2021.

As far as the rest of this season is concerned, I want to see us take care of business and beat Georgia Tech the way that we should be capable of beating them. My ideal scenario would see us getting better and better defensively the last 3 games of the regular season. It would see us finding a way to beat what should be a very pesky and offensively potent Wake Forest team on the road thus setting the stage for a showdown against UNC at home and an opportunity for us to finish the regular season with 10 wins. UNC will undoubtedly be an immense challenge for our defense but I truly believe that we will be up for that challenge. I'm not saying that we shut them down. They are too good for that and our defense while being tough and resilient is not a dominating unit. What I would like to see for the season finale is for us to play a complete game against a capable and dangerous opponent. I would like to see us close out the season with our best all around performance of the year. This means that King and the offense need to be firing in all cylinders which is far from impossible seeing how porous the UNC defense has been. No, the real challenge in this matchup will be our defense against the UNC offense. Sam Howell will be the best QB we have faced not named Trevor Lawrence and the Tar Heel rushing attack is elite on a national level. Diaz will no doubt be calling this game and I would like nothing more to see this defense play their best game to close out the regular season. Doing it in this fashion would make going 10-1 that much sweeter.

Advertisement
I’d be enjoying 7-1 just as much if those records were reversed.

I don’t need any additional motivation to love winning.

5-16 is the combined record of FSU, Michigan, Penn State and LSU. Our 7-1 record isn't pretty but enjoy winning the type of games we've lost the past 15 years
There's a lot of fans that wish they were in our shoes that is for sure.
7-1 and we should be favored to win the rest of our games. Still alive for a Conference Championship. And even chance for more.
That is all one can really ask for. Especially during this strange season.

Two things felt good about yesterday that as a UM fan we haven’t felt in awhile..

1) Even when we went down by 11, I knew we were going to come back. I knew the D was going to tighten up and King would find a way. Remember those days? Feels good.

2) When the 4th quarter came and Pope scored I knew the game was over. Even though there were 5min left I knew it was over. The D would not let VT score again. And they didn’t even let them cross midfield.

Advertisement
Back