Canes History:Stephen McGuire

1CN

Sophomore
What I remember about: I remember McGuire as a 200lb FB ,but man this guy love contact. 1991 FSU game was Stephen shining moment as he rush for 100 plus yards vs FSU. McGuire was shy in interview with very little showboating on the field . Stephen left the UM as career leader in TD with 35.

1204_large.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team

A few hours into his shift on New Year's Eve 2001, New York City police recruit Stephen McGuire popped into a mid-town Manhattan McDonald's trying to get warm on the frigid night. A booming voice called out to him, "Hey, you McGuire? Didn't you play football at Miami?" The man speaking was Detective Cyril Lloyd, who was also on duty that night and happened to be the special teams coach for New York's Finest, the police department's football team. Lloyd is always looking for players, and McGuire had been on two national championship teams as a fullback with the Hurricanes in 1989 and '91. "To this day I still don't know how he recognized me," says McGuire, who had been on the force for five months.

In 1993 McGuire graduated from Miami with a degree in criminal justice and the Hurricanes' alltime touchdown record (35, since tied by Edgerrin James). After the San Francisco 49ers, Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins cut the 5'11", 175-pound McGuire in tryouts in '93, '94 and '95, he turned to coaching. Over the next two years he was an assistant at three Miami-area high schools, and in 1997 he began a three-year stint teaching at-risk youth in Fort Lauderdale. He accepted an offer to go on a few ride-alongs with the Fort Lauderdale police and got such a rush riding in the squad cars that he traded in his teaching certificate for an NYPD badge. "Where else would you want to be a cop but in New York City?" says McGuire, who moved with his wife, Ramona, and their children, Michael, 14, Stephen, 9, and Allainah, 2, to his native Brooklyn.

Two months into his new job McGuire was in the middle of integrity training at the police academy when he learned that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. After the second plane hit, the recruits were sent into the streets, and McGuire spent the next 15 hours directing traffic. "It was hectic, but I got through it," he says. "When people come up to you and say, 'Thank you and God bless you,' it makes it all worth it."

Last winter McGuire began practicing with New York's Finest and quickly readjusted to life as a football player, scoring six touchdowns while leading the Finest to a 6-0 record and the National Public Safety Football League tide in June. McGuire hopes to eventually become a sergeant and work in an emergency services unit, but for now he's looking forward to the upcoming season this spring, when he'll be back in a familiar position—defending a national title. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1027680/index.htm

Career Stats: http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerRB.asp?id=1218523

By Canefreak
[video=youtube;Ad3Lt6EUvEw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad3Lt6EUvEw[/video]

Advertisement
He fit in well in Erickson's one back offense where he didn't have a lead fullback blocking for him. He broke a lot of tackles in his day.

And IMO, the '91 Miami-FSU game was the best played game by both teams in the series history. McGuire played great in that game.

Unfortunately, McGuire's ACL tear against BC in '91 was an exceptionally misfortunate injury. McGuire was never the same player after that injury. I really hated Miami playing at BC back then. The Eagles field was like Veterans Stadium, the astroturf they played on was like concrete. I always thought that turf contributed to McGuire's ACL tear.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I remember that he used his helmet to headbutt several Noles players in that game; as a result, he got gold paint marked and scarred on front of his helmet.

Would have had a very nice NFL career if he didn't get hurt. Without the injury he's probably a first round pick. One of our all time great backs.

Advertisement
Huge game against FSU. Ran with purpose. Played bigger than his weight. Doesn't get the praise he should when remembering former Canes IMO.

Unusual kid from Brooklyn. East New York section, Van Siclen Avenue as a matter of fact. He received the HS Heisman from the NYAC the same year Vinnie got the college Heisman. (Don't know if they really called it the HS Heisman.) I think JJ was there and heard about McGuire and they recruited him. I think I read that back then, but I might be wrong. I think both Vinnie and McGuire went to Fork Union before UM.

Last I heard he was playing for the NYFD or PD in the annual game between the two departments. I think he was with the FD.

Didn't we have two big wins against FSU, maybe '90 and '91, and we ran the ball up their throats both times?

Sorry, I didn't read the text. That's an article I had read sone years ago. It was NYPD. Somebody told me years ago, while he was still coaching HS in Fla., that he got real big. When I lived in Brooklyn, I couldn't wait to get out. I'm not a native New Yorker. Some people just are.

Last edited:
Unusual kid from Brooklyn. East New York section, Van Siclen Avenue as a matter of fact. He received the HS Heisman from the NYAC the same year Vinnie got the college Heisman. (Don't know if they really called it the HS Heisman.) I think JJ was there and heard about McGuire and they recruited him. I think I read that back then, but I might be wrong. I think both Vinnie and McGuire went to Fork Union before UM.

Last I heard he was playing for the NYFD or PD in the annual game between the two departments. I think he was with the FD.

Didn't we have two big wins against FSU, maybe '90 and '91, and we ran the ball up their throats both times?

Sorry, I didn't read the text. That's an article I had read sone years ago. It was NYPD. Somebody told me years ago, while he was still coaching HS in Fla., that he got real big. When I lived in Brooklyn, I couldn't wait to get out. I'm not a native New Yorker. Some people just are.

You're right. It's an often forgotten game because Miami beatdown the Noles, but McGuire also had a great game against FSU in 1990. McGuire ended up rushing for 176 yards in the '90 Seminole game.

You're right. It's an often forgotten game because Miami beatdown the Noles, but McGuire also had a great game against FSU in 1990. McGuire ended up rushing for 176 yards in the '90 Seminole game.

I had a long talk with his mom in the hotel after the 1990 Sugar Bowl, where we beat Bama to win the NC. I remember she gave me her phone number, but I never called. I think she was a widow with a couple of sons. Steve seemed to be kind of shy. I remember he came to the door of the room in the hotel where everybody was assembled for the post game party. Mike Sullivan kept calling for him to come in but he just stood there and shook his head. Never met Steve.

I think it was later that year, in May, I got a call from the late Bob Karmelowicz who was up recruiting in the New York/New Jersey area. (They visited hgih schools during the month of May, looked at film at the schools, talked to coaches and kids, i guess). Bob and I were supposed to get together and go to see Steve and Mark Caesar who was staying with the McGuire's in Brooklyn. We never did, because there were some riots going on in Brooklyn and Bob didn't want to have any extra hassles.

I was actually looking for the SI cover that OP posted. I wanted to send it to a guy who's a big ND fan.

Brings back memories. The '80's were one of my favorite eras in UM football, along with the late '60's. I think I started following UM in 1954.

Thanks for replying about the '90 game. I think we dominated with the run game two years in a row. That was kind of unusual for us. I thnk Dennis was at his best as a coach. I recall a story about a grudge against Bowden. Apparently there was something that Bowden said or did to extremely **** off Dennis. He reportedly told people, he was going to "kick Bowden's *** from one end of the Orange Bowl to the other," or something similar. Well, he did.

I don't know what Bowden did, it might have been badmouthing UM in recruiting, it might have been something that happened at or after the FSU game in '89 (our only loss.) I remember that little RB for FSU picking up a flag and putting it on top of Bernard Clark's head. It was obnoxious behavior. I don't know if it was Rock Preston or somebody else. I hated FSU so much back then. (And I have a degree from FSU, among other places). Not that I like them now.

Incidentally, I mentioned the East New York section of Brooklyn. I think it's a tough section. I believe it used to be Italian, I guess more black when Steve was growing up there. I knew a guy in New York who came from East New York and he was the classic New York thug. He actually had a bit part in Goodfellas. I think he also acted in The Sopranos. Turned out, some years later, he was charged with hiring somebody to torture some guy in upstate New York to get a loan paid off. I guess he ended up in prison.

Advertisement

I had a long talk with his mom in the hotel after the 1990 Sugar Bowl, where we beat Bama to win the NC. I remember she gave me her phone number, but I never called. I think she was a widow with a couple of sons. Steve seemed to be kind of shy. I remember he came to the door of the room in the hotel where everybody was assembled for the post game party. Mike Sullivan kept calling for him to come in but he just stood there and shook his head. Never met Steve.

I think it was later that year, in May, I got a call from the late Bob Karmelowicz who was up recruiting in the New York/New Jersey area. (They visited hgih schools during the month of May, looked at film at the schools, talked to coaches and kids, i guess). Bob and I were supposed to get together and go to see Steve and Mark Caesar who was staying with the McGuire's in Brooklyn. We never did, because there were some riots going on in Brooklyn and Bob didn't want to have any extra hassles.

I was actually looking for the SI cover that OP posted. I wanted to send it to a guy who's a big ND fan.

Brings back memories. The '80's were one of my favorite eras in UM football, along with the late '60's. I think I started following UM in 1954.

Thanks for replying about the '90 game. I think we dominated with the run game two years in a row. That was kind of unusual for us. I thnk Dennis was at his best as a coach. I recall a story about a grudge against Bowden. Apparently there was something that Bowden said or did to extremely **** off Dennis. He reportedly told people, he was going to "kick Bowden's *** from one end of the Orange Bowl to the other," or something similar. Well, he did.

I don't know what Bowden did, it might have been badmouthing UM in recruiting, it might have been something that happened at or after the FSU game in '89 (our only loss.) I remember that little RB for FSU picking up a flag and putting it on top of Bernard Clark's head. It was obnoxious behavior. I don't know if it was Rock Preston or somebody else. I hated FSU so much back then. (And I have a degree from FSU, among other places). Not that I like them now.

Incidentally, I mentioned the East New York section of Brooklyn. I think it's a tough section. I believe it used to be Italian, I guess more black when Steve was growing up there. I knew a guy in New York who came from East New York and he was the classic New York thug. He actually had a bit part in Goodfellas. I think he also acted in The Sopranos. Turned out, some years later, he was charged with hiring somebody to torture some guy in upstate New York to get a loan paid off. I guess he ended up in prison.

Matador, the FSU running that put the flag on Clark's head was Dexter Carter. Bernard's reaction to it was classic. He just turned around, dumbfounded....

McGuire was said to be a very respected member of those teams, I was told by Claude Jones when he got hurt at BC, the team had trouble concentrating on the game after that. It shook them up so much at that time. Plus it was cold and they were coming off Wide Right I

Advertisement
OP needs to learn English.

Also, I'll never forget when he got hurt against BC. I was ****ting bricks watching that game.

OT, but there was a Kevin Williams return in there. Any highlights from one my all-time favs?

That's how I remember McGuire. He gave Bobby nightmares. He was the perfect back for Erickson one back offense. One of our greats.

Advertisement
Back