33 coaches to know for college football’s epic coaching carousel: Bruce Feldman’s list as USC, LSU, Florida and more shop for a new coach...

Not sure if anything is going to happen but its nice to see The U suggested with 3 of the top 10 coaches on that list.....thats assuming that is a ranking of coaches of course

Advertisement
Jason Garrett is NFL only coach, has no interest in college, he’s never coached college in his career.
HIs brother (just canned at Lafayette) was a college HC and he comes from a coaching family... for 6 mil or so a year (think he was making 5M with NYG) ya never know. Did you ask him?

If history is any predictor of the future Mario and Lane will say thanks but no thanks and we will be left with our third or fourth choice. so who are they? not trying to be negative by the way but how many times have we seen this song and dance over the last 15 years?

HIs brother (just canned at Lafayette) was a college HC and he comes from a coaching family... for 6 mil or so a year (think he was making 5M with NYG) ya never know. Did you ask him?
I’m not sure if I need to ask, he’s been coaching for 16 years & has never once even came close to coaching in college, so making an educated guess I would say he’s probably not that interested.

Also, a fired HC & OC with zero college experience getting $6mill a year would be a bit of an outlandish move to make for any program, especially ours. He’s been an average play caller & has never recruited before, I don’t see too many situations around college football where hiring him would make sense.

Advertisement
This is Feldman’s list, not a consensus among AD’s around the Nation as to who they may or may not hire.

There’s several dozen coaches who aren’t on his list that could get jobs at a number of different places.

Also, you have to remember that most hires are failures in college football, just because someone is a hot candidate doesn’t mean they’re going to do a good job.

Herman is 54-22 as HC & 5-0 in Bowl games, he absolutely is a good coach, but there could a number of other factors that keep him from getting a job in this cycle, doesn’t mean he can’t get one in the next offseason or if he’s even interest in going back to college.
Knowing what I know about him, no question he’s persona non grata in college football circles. If a background check would do Lane in, Herman has no shot here — or likely any other major program — which was the point of my post. The dude is a legitimate weirdo. He would be a disaster here.

Knowing what I know about him, no question he’s persona non grata in college football circles. If a background check would do Lane in, Herman has no shot here — or likely any other major program — which was the point of my post. The dude is a legitimate weirdo. He would be a disaster here.
I’ve also heard the rumors of him being a coke head with a drinking problem lol.

I think he’ll get a job next year if he doesn’t get one this offseason, he’s still getting paid by Texas & as apart of his contract if he gets a new job they would be off the hook for the rest of the dead money, they still owe him between 13.5-15mill, so hence the cozy analyst job at a quiet NFL job, he’s essentially getting paid a HC salary to be an analyst.

I definitely believe he’ll be back in the coaching carousel by next year.

This is Feldman’s list, not a consensus among AD’s around the Nation as to who they may or may not hire.

There’s several dozen coaches who aren’t on his list that could get jobs at a number of different places.

Also, you have to remember that most hires are failures in college football, just because someone is a hot candidate doesn’t mean they’re going to do a good job.

Herman is 54-22 as HC & 5-0 in Bowl games, he absolutely is a good coach, but there could a number of other factors that keep him from getting a job in this cycle, doesn’t mean he can’t get one in the next offseason or if he’s even interest in going back to college.

I am starting to think that no one can win in Texas. Something is broken there that isn't coaching.

I am starting to think that no one can win in Texas. Something is broken there that isn't coaching.
They have incredibly meddlesome boosters, like their money men are the kind of guys who sit in on coaches meetings & actually feel they have a say so in play calls.

It’s a very toxic situation, if you’re a HC there you have to kiss *** all day long to appease their insane boosters & will be micromanaged to the point where they drain the life out of you.

I know multiple coaches in TX on the high school level that have told me that they’ve had big time boosters from UT actually come to them & tell them not to send certain recruits to Texas if they don’t like the coach, like they literally have boosters who depending on how the coach kneels & kissing his ring (metaphorically) will sabotage him behind his back on the recruiting trail. (This happened quite a bit during the Charlie Strong era)

That’s how deep seeded & entrenched the backroom politics are at Texas. When you’re the HC at Texas, you’re essentially equivalent to a state assemblyman & you have to jump through hoops in order to have any kind of success, most coaches hate having to deal with that & just want to coach, but at UT you better be prepared for everything that comes with it or else you won’t last long.

Advertisement
He went up there thinking he could recruit nationally (especially in Florida) as Ohio State does and that backfired big time.

All in all, I agree, he's not a bad coach just a bad fit with that program and this is the fun part because N
They have incredibly meddlesome boosters, like their money men are the kind of guys who sit in on coaches meetings & actually feel they have a say so in play calls.

It’s a very toxic situation, if you’re a HC there you have to kiss *** all day long to appease their insane boosters & will be micromanaged to the point where they drain the life out of you.

I know multiple coaches in TX on the high school level that have told me that they’ve had big time boosters from UT actually come to them & tell them not to send certain recruits to Texas if they don’t like the coach, like they literally have boosters who depending on how the coach kneels & kissing his ring (metaphorically) will sabotage him behind his back on the recruiting trail. (This happened quite a bit during the Charlie Strong era)

That’s how deep seeded & entrenched the backroom politics are at Texas. When you’re the HC at Texas, you’re essentially equivalent to a state assemblyman & you have to jump through hoops in order to have any kind of success, most coaches hate having to deal with that & just want to coach, but at UT you better be prepared for everything that comes with it or else you won’t last long.
I hope Strong is able to get a HC position that lets him kick UTs ***. I know it probably will never happen, though

Frost took a beating early in the year. His team got way better as the year went on. Simplified the offense for Martinez and it seemed to work. Think Frost did pretty good job this year. Didn't equate to wins but massive improvement from the 1st game, that is for sure.
Same with James Franklin.

Advertisement
Back