30 for 30: Survive and Advance

OrangeCane

Freshman
Anyone watch this about the NC State 1983 championship team and Jim Valvano? I thought it was really, really well done. Lots of great stories in there, and the ending was extremely emotional.

Advertisement
Very emotional story although the narrative on Valvano clearly has changed since the days he was forced out. I had to laugh at that 99% comment. Sounded familiar.

I thought it was refreshing to see that the NCAA investigator who conducted the investigation didn't jump to an immediate guilty verdict because of what was written in a book or said by others who may have had an axe to grind.

I didn't even know this part of Jimmy's history there. A good, honest investigation found many of the things said were false.

Advertisement
Really good piece. Suspicion is, and one or two of his ex-players touched on it, after the NCAA title Coach V got loose with the program and spent a good bit of time on the business side of making money, self-promotion, personal appearances, etc. That may have forced him to take some short cuts and usher in some questionable characters led by Chris Washburn. Again, emotional piece hearing all the old stories.

Advertisement
Back