3 DL look Vs GT

I thought it was entertaining how many people were absolutely offended by only three hands being in the dirt. They were beating us on the outside so how does an extra hand hand in the dirt help with that? Some fans have no situational awareness. They are simply married to concepts like 4-3 and black cleats.
This.

Toward the end of the game I felt like we played the pitch better. It was his first time against the triple option and we didn't play terrible. We will likely not use that defensive set against anyone else and we won so what's the problem

Stacking those backers like that, almost as a wing, was genius. Plus walking up the safety made the GT OL confused as to who their assignments were. Norton played like a **** monster

Advertisement
I thought it was entertaining how many people were absolutely offended by only three hands being in the dirt. They were beating us on the outside so how does an extra hand hand in the dirt help with that? Some fans have no situational awareness. They are simply married to concepts like 4-3 and black cleats.
This.

Toward the end of the game I felt like we played the pitch better. It was his first time against the triple option and we didn't play terrible. We will likely not use that defensive set against anyone else and we won so what's the problem

Stacking those backers like that, almost as a wing, was genius. Plus walking up the safety made the GT OL confused as to who their assignments were. Norton played like a **** monster

giphy.gif

i thought they were just standing up the DE

Exactly... Also thought he was giving his quicker DEs some space to read and react and to avoid the chop blocks. Those chop blocks are illegal outside of the tackle box and it basically invites the Offense to take it inside or try and beat us on the edge. I thought it was a good game plan and the extra week obviously helped us there. These 3 LBs are drinking from the water hose right now and for the coaches to be able to add this wrinkle in there and execute was impressive.

Pick seemed to be analyzing a little to much and missed some angles on the edges but these kids are learning fast. One thing thats not really talked about much with our team is that with each game our defense gets batter. Guys are not only learning but they are getting confident out there with each game. I mean how good are the Jackson boys and Toolbox and these linebackers going to be at year end? The game is going to slow down even more for these guys as time goes on and it could just be crazy.

I also noticed GT continued to have false starts but refs weren't calling it. They've done this several years in a row and I can never understand why they're not called for it.

I also noticed GT continued to have false starts but refs weren't calling it. They've done this several years in a row and I can never understand why they're not called for it.

Good to know I'm not the only one!

I thought my Tourettes was acting up again

Advertisement
I wouldn't necessarily call that defense a 34. It was a specific flexbone option defense. I thought it was very interesting how we played it. There are only a few ways to play a team like GT and I have never seen a team play it like that. We played their game and balanced them up on defense. Made it difficult to them to check at the line. That's why you saw them move to an unbalanced flanker over formation. They wanted to force our hand on the adjustment. It's really fun to watch a game like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought of you when all the 3-4 talk was happening after the game because what you saw was the defense adjust a lot like how teams adjust against our former HS's Wing-T. They scooted the DE alignments, [over]played the dive with a 0 and our LBs, stood up a DE and went balanced on both sides. Anyway, it's not the biggest deal in the world and I'm not sure why there's hysteria over it.

We're going to see more "3-man lines" this week; they'll just look more like 4-3 Over once again.

It's almost like we were moving to 43 gap responsibilities. The 0 tech was moving to one A gap; one of the charging linebackers was taking the opposite A or B; the 4 techs were taking C or B; and those stacked DE/OLB players were taking D or C. It allowed us to disguise the front. With quick front stunts we could overplay the first, second, or third option without tipping our hand presnap. We were even stacking our two inside backers at times. Very creative.

I like the game plan. I would rather play something like this with the effort to make negative plays on first down. You beat teams like GT on first down. Period. You'll never stop their drives on third and medium. They're way too good at getting two or three yards. One early penalty or negative play and they're already off schedule. They start doing things that they're no good at--like throwing.

We looked out of sorts at times with our pitch responsibilities. In the first half we were just blowing responsibilities out there--we had no one in the area to even force the play back inside. The safeties were slow in their reads. We corrected it later on, but we were just not getting off blocks and tackling well. GT does a really good job with their perimeter blocking. Its what they do.

Last edited:
I hope I don't get slammed for this, but a lot of the times it seemed like their pitch was successful because Carter and Jenkins weren't in the right spot and our outside backers were a tick slow getting to the open space.

To me, Carter and Jenkins are still wildcards back there.

I hope I don't get slammed for this, but a lot of the times it seemed like their pitch was successful because Carter and Jenkins weren't in the right spot and our outside backers were a tick slow getting to the open space.

Everyone knows it's on the backers. But we have all frosh at that position. Mistakes that were made will never be made again.

Defense scored 2 TD's

Not slamming you. I saw that too. I also saw multiple (as in a huge amount) of mis-reads by our TF LBers. But it's a stupid offense that we'll never see again, and they all made up for the misses with other violent plays. Win and move on.

My biggest concern for future games is the poor form tackling. We need to get that corrected. Cook will bounce off guys and house the play if we don't tackle better.

Advertisement
You could see that Johnson made a lot of adjustments after his interior got manhandled by penetrating Clemson DTs. Once Miami made it obvious they were selling out to stop the dive, they significantly cut back on the number of triple option plays and starting attacking the edges directly with tosses and two man option pitches. There were a couple of breakdowns on the outside where guys ended up missing their assignments and getting stuck with two guys playing the QB and nobody playing the pitch. I wasn't happy about it but realistically it was predictable with so much youth on the edges. It's not just three freshmen linebackers but guys like Joe Jackson and Demetrius Jackson have little to no experience against this type of offense either.

By the way, the fumble recovery was great and the Sack/FF was a flash, but Joe Jackson made a play in the 2nd half that reminded me of what I saw from him during fall practice. Set the edge, locked out, threw an OL aside and forced the play. Guy doesn't even know what he's doing yet and flashes stuff like that. He is going to be one **** of a player for us and perhaps in a battle (with Richards) for the highest draft pick from his class.

Got to love a guy who makes big plays and doesn't know what he is doing. Golden would sit him for two years until he learned to hold on to that lineman instead of tossing him like a ragdoll.

I did not care for it at all. I think the coaches out thought themselves on this one. Having the two outside guys off the line of scrimmage actually made it a lot easier for GT to get a block on those guys or at least slow them down so the runners could get to the outside. With only 3 down lineman it's harder to get enough penetration to blow up the play from the get go. The result was that GT was able to run their offense with less disruption and it was easy for them to get outside.

I like what Clemson did on defense better. They put 4, 5, or even 6 guys right up on the line and had those guys all get upfield and across the line of scrimmage as fast as possible. The results speak for themselves, GT couldn't do anything against those guys and most of the plays were blown up behind the line of scrimmage.

Cant argue with the fact that Clemson completely shut down GT. Not sure I have ever seen the GT run game stopped like that.

Don't forget pants above the knees.

Advertisement
Back