2nd and 11

I say the second and 10 play when Kayaa give Walton the ball on a zone read with Linder or McDermott getting pushing 5 yards in the backfield. Next play Kayaa throws deep to a double covered receiver. That play needs to be buried

Exactly. That is the play that infuriated me. It was obvious our defense was finished once Notre Dame tied it at 27. If we didn't respond with a score we were done.

Second and 10 on that drive we revert to RPO frailty and Walton gets smothered for a big loss. I more or less conceded at that point. Our defensive tackles weren't going to stop a meaningful possession late in the game.

I would have gone down swinging with the I formation. It adds so much muscle and energy. Early in the game there was barely any reason to watch. We were running RPO crap out of the shotgun and getting swarmed. Entire team was lifeless. Not until we finally wised up and displayed some basic formations, and wrinkles out of them, did the game turn and suddenly the remainder of the season became more interesting again. I assume we'll continue along those lines. We should be in the shotgun no more than 20% of the time.

When we were down 20-17 we abandoned the I formation after entering Notre Dame territory. It made no sense. Notre Dame wasn't prepared for any of the I formation tweaks we displayed, even though we offered very few of them, compared to what is available.

Advertisement
Agree with op. Richt isn't trash. 2nd and long runs for 1 yard are taking years off my life.

I say the second and 10 play when Kayaa give Walton the ball on a zone read with Linder or McDermott getting pushing 5 yards in the backfield. Next play Kayaa throws deep to a double covered receiver. That play needs to be buried

Exactly. That is the play that infuriated me. It was obvious our defense was finished once Notre Dame tied it at 27. If we didn't respond with a score we were done.

Second and 10 on that drive we revert to RPO frailty and Walton gets smothered for a big loss. I more or less conceded at that point. Our defensive tackles weren't going to stop a meaningful possession late in the game.

I would have gone down swinging with the I formation. It adds so much muscle and energy. Early in the game there was barely any reason to watch. We were running RPO crap out of the shotgun and getting swarmed. Entire team was lifeless. Not until we finally wised up and displayed some basic formations, and wrinkles out of them, did the game turn and suddenly the remainder of the season became more interesting again. I assume we'll continue along those lines. We should be in the shotgun no more than 20% of the time.

When we were down 20-17 we abandoned the I formation after entering Notre Dame territory. It made no sense. Notre Dame wasn't prepared for any of the I formation tweaks we displayed, even though we offered very few of them, compared to what is available.

I been saying the RPO is garbage, it's killing our OL. Just run a conventional pro-style offense, use the fullback, TE's, run and play action passing will open up the passing down field. The offense looked good without the RPO nonsense.

You clearly didn't watch the game.

Advertisement
Back