#23 in initial SP+ ranking

We talkin bout preseason rankings??!?

1581602383705.png

Advertisement
My understanding of SP+ is that it's a quantitative metric without subjectivity, and therefore can't have "a crush" or any other sort of bias.
Don't forget, "figures don't lie but liars sure figure". It is entirely possible, and frequently does, to reach a given outcome by the mere selection of the metrics, the way they are measured, and the mystical "crunching" they are put through.

Hey, I have no knowledge about these people, nor do I care, but I have spent a lifetime answering that age old math question "how much is two plus two" with a simple "whatever you need it to be". Science is a ***** and will follow the money in a New York minute, which everyone KNOWS is shorter/faster than a minute anywhere else in the world.

Don't forget, "figures don't lie but liars sure figure". It is entirely possible, and frequently does, to reach a given outcome by the mere selection of the metrics, the way they are measured, and the mystical "crunching" they are put through.

Hey, I have no knowledge about these people, nor do I care, but I have spent a lifetime answering that age old math question "how much is two plus two" with a simple "whatever you need it to be". Science is a ***** and will follow the money in a New York minute, which everyone KNOWS is shorter/faster than a minute anywhere else in the world.

As someone who lived in Manhattan for 8 years, agreed. Which is exactly why I said I'd need to look at the formula to form an opinion. The thing with metrics such as this, is there are many, many ways to do the math, resulting in different outcomes. It's really up to the user to take it for what they perceive it to be worth.

Advertisement
If the offense is even Top 50 this thing changes a lot. I’d say that’s a pretty conservative offensive estimate. Defense was at 9, so that may be a little aggressive given the new LBs.

I think the D is much improved this year. Not only another year under Baker, but the safety and DT play should be a big step up, and that's what makes this D go. Factor in the maturation of Rousseau, addition of Roche, faster LB's (albeit less experienced), Frierson maturing at striker (who I'm excited about), BOLDEN and two corners with another year under their belt.

Would really liked to have seen a grad transfer at CB, but otherwise very excited about this group.

As someone who lived in Manhattan for 8 years, agreed. Which is exactly why I said I'd need to look at the formula to form an opinion. The thing with metrics such as this, is there are many, many ways to do the math, resulting in different outcomes. It's really up to the user to take it for what they perceive it to be worth.
Very true. If every number that gets quoted had to have a $$ source attached to it, live would be easier.

Other than food and large fees, I never found a reason to spend much time in Manhattan. Even turned down very nice offer straight out of Law School. Of course, I am a Southerner so seeing that many yankees at one time might have "triggered" me. Mom, was from NYC. My dad explained that with a simple, "boy she was cute". I took that metric to mean it was okay to marry my Cuban born wife because she was "hot", assumption being that "cute" equals "hot". Strangely enough her and my mother instantly took to each other and soon, mom love her more than she love me, her baby. I guess my being kind of an ***, might have slanted mom's quantitative analysis. Go figure.

Golic JR is Horrific

I truly hate the Golics but especially Jr. The simple fact that he has a job at ESPN is an indictment on that company and its culture. Pure, and eagerly open and blatant nepotism with a dash of sanctimony.

I have no idea what any of this has to do with SP+ rankings, but fvck the Golics, fvck eSPIN, and fvck everything that's ever touched Notre Dame.

Advertisement
Something is clearly wrong with the system if the Corn****ers aren't preseason top 15 when coming off a 4-8 or better season.

Especially when they’re coached by the guy who lead UCF to the transitive property and Colley Matrix national titles.

Correct -- these are based on METRICS of the team- star rankings of new players and performance numbers for experienced players.

It just means Miami HAS POTENTIAL to be #23.

But that requires ALL PHASES of the team performing-- coaching and game planning, player execution, etc...

Something that early rankings cannot possible figure out-- is how major coaching changes that's just happened to Miami will affect the team's game time performance during the season.

That is now in the hands of "LUCK"....

Advertisement
Link below, but here’s the snippet about Miami:

SP+ seemed to have a strange crush on Manny Diaz's Hurricanes last year, continuing to rank them in the top 30 no matter how many unlikely ways they found to lose football games. A combination of bad breaks and bad offense led to a 6-7 finish, and while Diaz can't do much about the former, he addressed the latter by bringing in not only a new offensive coordinator (Rhett Lashlee) but also Houston quarterback D'Eriq King.
The U also brings back five of its top seven receivers and basically every offensive lineman. The defensive front seven will need a lot of new contributors to step up (the addition of star Temple end Quincy Roche will help), but the secondary is seasoned, at least, and there aren't usually many reasons to doubt a Diaz defense.

Don’t care about any ranking or preseason polls until we start winning some games.

Advertisement
Back