2022 QB Angeli receives offer, plans offseason visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Hailing from the northern United States, 2022 Bergen Catholic (NJ) QB Steven Angeli was a bit surprised when a coach from the Miami Hurricanes came all the way to visit him at his school in late January, but he was certainly excited to know he had an offer from “The U”.

“Coach (Jon) Patke came and pulled me out of one of my classes. We talked a little bit, just about Miami – the program, what they have to offer,” Angeli said. “He said I had a scholarship from them, and it was really exciting to be able to get offered by them.

“He just said Miami has seen what I could do, they’ve watched my tape and heard good things about me. He was just telling me about what the program has to offer and that coach (Manny) Diaz is doing a really good job down there. He said they’re looking pretty good right now at the quarterback position and they’re looking to have a great season coming up.”

Now with an offer in hand, Angeli said he’s hoping to see Coral Gables very soon.

“Of course, I’ll be very interested in getting down there,” Angeli said. “I hope that I’ll be able to get down there maybe this summer or this spring.”

Ultimately, what attracts Angeli to UM is similar to what intrigues many others: The tradition that comes with playing at the University of Miami.

“It’s a really prestigious school with a lot of history behind them, like what they’ve been able to do in the early 90’s and 2000’s,” Angeli said of Miami. “I think they’re rebuilding the program a little bit right now, getting things back on track to having a winning season. I think they’re going to be really good coming up this year.”

In the past, Angeli has taken trips to Penn State, Ohio State, and Rutgers; he has early offers from each of those schools, as well as Michigan, Boston College, WVU, and Pitt. The 6-2 190 pound gunslinger especially enjoyed his trip to Columbus to see the Buckeyes last offseason before OSU went on their run to the College Football Playoff.

“I just thought Ohio State was pretty cool, really nice atmosphere,” Angeli said. “Before they got off to that great season, I thought that I could already see what they were building, which was good. Coach (Ryan) Day seemed really awesome too.”

Although Angeli is in the process of building relationships with every school that has offered him, he does not feel he is currently in a position to name leaders or rush a choice.

“Right now, I’m still meeting coaches, trying to develop relationships, and trying to see what schools really feel like home or that really want me,” Angeli said. “Trying to find what feels like the right fit for me but also trying to keep my options open, keep every door open, see what everyone has to offer and what they are about.”

With a tentative decision timeline set for after his junior season, Angeli has a list of factors that will set one school apart from the others. When he does make his choice, Angeli plans on being a leader in his class and actively trying to get other talented prospects to join him.

“I’m looking for some place that really wants me,” Angeli said. “The highest level of competition I could play at at the collegiate level, the offensive scheme and type of offense that they run, the academics and what they have to offer outside of football, the relationships that I can make in football and out of football, the head coach, the relationship with the quarterback coach and everyone else that has to do with my position and the rest of the offense.

“Whichever school I feel like is my home, I think I’m going to do the best I can to help them recruit, build the class around me, and try to bring in the best guys in my class.”

As a sophomore in 2019, Angeli played mainly a complementary role for the Crusaders behind established senior QB Andrew Boel, recording 372 passing yards, a 61.2% completion percentage, and a 2-1 TD-INT split on just 49 attempts; he also added 221 rushing yards and a TD on the ground on 36 carries. Heading into the 2020 season though, Angeli is set to take the reigns of the offense full-time and has his sights set on some big goals.

“The limited time I got as a sophomore, I felt like I made the most out of it, I felt like I did pretty well with the time I got,” Angeli said. “I’m just hoping to build off that and help my team win a state championship this year.

“I’m also looking forward to getting to some more camps and building my recruitment list even more.”

Angeli has already shown his dual-threat abilities in limited playing time and camp settings, but the talented QB hopes to take his game to the next level as a junior.

“I think I’m a playmaker on the field – I can make plays with my legs, I can make plays with my arm. I feel like my intelligence and IQ in making decisions and reading the field is elite, and I feel like I can make any play on the field.”

Advertisement
Not the Jersey Class of '22 QB offer I was hoping for but this kid's film is impressive.

Advertisement
Back