2022 LB Devin Smith high on UM, but has FSU out in front

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Two weeks back, 2022 Oakleaf (FL) LB Devin Smith earned an offer from Rob Likens and the Miami Hurricanes after speaking to the UM WR coach over the phone.

“It was a true honor to be offered by the U,” Smith said. “I was very excited to hear from coach Likens. We talked mostly about me, he said he loved my film and that I look like a true playmaker. He also told me about his background and said how they plan on getting me down there for a visit to meet all the coaches.”

Now with the UM offer in hand, the 6-1 220 pound linebacker says his interest in Miami couldn’t be much higher and plans to make a follow-up visit to campus when it opens back up.

“I like the environment around Miami,” Smith said. “I know it’s a beautiful place, I’ve been there about three times and I enjoyed the city and shopping with my family. I also know they’ve been a good football program in the past.”

Although Smith is a recent transfer to Oakleaf from Robert E. Lee High, he is still friendly with Oakleaf alums and current Canes freshmen Jalen Rivers and Chantz Williams from their time as athletes in the Jacksonville area.

“I know those guys well, but anytime we talk it’s mostly about staying active and working on my craft,” Smith said of Rivers and Williams. “But I know can talk to those guys anytime to get their view on the (Miami) program.”

The Canes are now the final “Big 3” Florida school to join the race for Smith, as FSU and Florida have offered the talented linebacker in recent months as well. Nebraska, Ole Miss, Maryland, and Georgia Tech are other P5 schools that have jumped in with offers for Smith, who plans to decide soon after his junior season.

“I’ve been pretty anxious with the recruiting process as of right now,” Smith said. “A lot of offers have been rolling in lately and they’ve extended the dead period due to COVID, so everything with the recruiting process visiting-wise has been brought to a halt. But I’ve still been able to talk with coaches that have been recruiting me and I should have my decision sometime after this season.”

Florida is a school Smith has already had a chance to visit ahead of the shutdowns, as he got to see Gainesville for their junior day event in early February.

“They had me just visiting around the whole campus and meeting with most the position coaches,” Smith said. “I even got to sit and talk with coach (Dan) Mullen. I like the atmosphere there in Gainesville and the campus too. You can tell that the football program is the main thing there, along with a great academic program.”

Smith has called another Sunshine State school in Florida State his leader in the past, and he stuck by that designation when pressed.

“They’re leading the way right now cause of the love and energy they show me I can tell that they are very interested in my talents on the field,” Smith said of FSU.

During his sophomore season in 2019, Smith recorded 52 tackles, 7 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 INT, and 1 TD on defense in 10 games.

“I would say I’m a smart player with a high football IQ. I’m also someone who has a nose for the ball and can make that big time play your team needs.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Really liked his HUDL, also glad to see we’re still on kids from Oakleaf and the Jacksonville area. Hopefully Rivers and Williams can persuade him to think seriously about where he wants to land - especially after we destroy the Semenholes again this year.

Advertisement
Back