2022 IMG 4-star DT James sees fit in UM's defense

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Back in late March, 2022 IMG Academy (FL) 4-star DT Nick James earned an offer from Miami Hurricanes outside linebackers coach Jonathan Patke, and the rising junior interior lineman says he has respect for the quantity of players UM has produced in past years.

“It was exciting to know I had an offer from the U,” James said. “I like their culture – when you say ‘Miami’, you think of all the superstars from there that went to the NFL, so you know they can produce guys for the next level.”

James has also been keen on appreciating the style of defense that the Canes play, something that has been a main part of Patke’s pitch thus far.

“We’ve talked a lot about the defense at Miami and how I might fit in, I would say that’s what we’ve talked about the most,” James said of Patke. “I like their defense because they run a lot of stunts and they really get creative on the defensive line, which plays to my aggressiveness I think. I notice them on social media, the Turnover Chain, so I can tell the defense has been doing their job.”

The UM offer came not long after James announced his intentions to transfer to IMG Academy for the 2020 season, as James is planning to make the move from Prattville (AL) to the Sunshine State very soon.

“I would say the training aspect of IMG, they just have a lot more resources there at your disposal to help you take your game to the next level,” James said of his decision to switch schools. “I just felt like it was something I couldn’t pass up.

“I definitely noticed the Florida schools paying more attention to me since I decided to go to IMG. I got Miami first and then Florida State not long after. I’m excited to learn more about the Florida schools and, once this (coronavirus) craziness is over, I’m planning to make it to Miami for a visit.”

Being originally from the state of Alabama, it’s easy to tie James to a school like Auburn, where the 6-2 270 pound prospect was able to take a visit this spring before the campus shutdowns began. The Tigers first offered James last summer and were also one of the first programs to recognize his talents as his second FBS bid.

“With Auburn, I would say the main thing about them is that it’s close to home for me,” James said. “I talk with coach Gus (Malzahn) and those guys, so they are making me feel wanted right now. Their facilities are nice too.”

In addition to Miami, FSU, and Auburn, James also has bids from programs such as Ohio State, USC, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Tennessee among others. It’s safe to say the recruiting process is off to a fast start for James, something he says he is truly grateful for.

“It’s honestly been a dream come true,” James said of the recruiting process. “You always dream for so long about playing for a good college, so now that I have those opportunities, everything feels more real. I’m going to take it all in and take all my options seriously, and then I will probably decide next year on June 16th, that’s my birthday.”

As a sophomore in 2019, James posted 48 tackles, 10 TFL, 3 sacks, and 2 PBU for Prattville, and he is looking to improve on those numbers in his first season at IMG.

“I feel like I want to get stronger, and have more moves in my ****nal,” James said. “My game is all about aggressiveness and attacking the ball.”

Advertisement
Yeah saw that, great kid to offer. Will be difficult with so many $EC schools after him but stranger things have happened. Kid has bad intywhen the ball is hiked

Advertisement
Stefan, you rarely do write-ups on kids we have zero chance of landing. Why do you think we have a shot here? Asking anyone to pluck a local from Alabama away from Auburn or Alabama is a stretch. But Patke? Better chances of winning the lottery. I get he's at IMG now, so is willing to travel. But how do we win an Auburn/Miami battle over him?

Stefan, you rarely do write-ups on kids we have zero chance of landing. Why do you think we have a shot here? Asking anyone to pluck a local from Alabama away from Auburn or Alabama is a stretch. But Patke? Better chances of winning the lottery. I get he's at IMG now, so is willing to travel. But how do we win an Auburn/Miami battle over him?
Michael Jackson ...out Birmingham Al.

Advertisement
Back