2022 4-star WR AJ Johnson earns UM offer despite sitting out 2019 season

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Last month, the Miami Hurricanes identified 2022 Isidore Newman (LA) 4-star WR AJ Johnson, offering the rising junior a scholarship to attend UM.

“I like the University of Miami, so it’s actually exciting,” Johnson said. “Me being originally from Georgia, it’s not too far from home. I think the environment in Miami would be pretty sick to play in, I’ve been in the area before and it was really nice. I want to know more about it and see what they have in store, but I think Miami is a great place.”

The UM offer actually came as a bit of a surprise to Johnson, in part because he sat out all last season after transferring schools inside the same district from Eleanor McMain Secondary School to Isidore Newman. In Louisiana high school football, if you transfer schools within the same district, you must sit out a year. FSU, Georgia, Alabama, and Virginia have all recently offered as well despite no sophomore tape from Johnson, an impressive feat.

“I feel like that really shows the dedication I’ve put in on and off the field, honestly,” Johnson said. “Coming to Newman had a big impact on my schoolwork, because McMain isn’t as good education-wise as Newman. Going through that process and actually flipping the switch academically was really difficult. But I got through it and am actually doing well in school.”

What has Johnson been working on to prepare for his junior season back on the gridiron?

“Even though I had to sit out a year, practice-wise, I felt like I was getting better every day,” Johnson said. “I’ve been pretty much getting my weight up, working on my speed and footwork. I’m a big-bodied receiver, jump balls are my favorite because I’m always going to come down with it.”

Part of Johnson’s routine in getting ready to return to the field has been working with his new QB at Isidore Newman in Arch Manning, who is the nephew of former NFL star QB’s Peyton and Eli Manning, and the grandson of two-time Pro Bowler Archie Manning. Arch just finished his freshman year at Isidore Newman, where he recorded 2,438 passing yards, a 65.5% completion percentage, and a 34-6 TD-INT ratio.

“The connection with [Arch] is going really well right now, it will be there by the time season starts,” Johnson said of his bond with Manning. “He’s an amazing freshman, absolutely.”

The 6-2 175 pound prospect has discovered a new appreciation for the academic side of things since making the move to Isidore Newman, and Johnson says he is prioritizing education when evaluating his options at the next level.

“Thinking about it and actually wanting to play college football, you have to have education. I’d put education first honestly. Then the support systems, that’s really what I’m looking for in a college, how much the team and coaches support you.”

In terms of the recruiting process more generally, Johnson says he wants to put out more film and get a better idea of what his options will be before narrowing anything down.

“I’ve also been in touch with LSU, Georgia, Bama, Mississippi State,” Johnson said. “It’s a little bit too early to say where schools stand. Once I really play on the field and have a better idea of what my options are and break down what’s in store for me, I can decide on my top 10 or top 5.”

The LSU Tigers have yet to offer the talented in-state star, but the staff in Baton Rouge have been keeping tabs on Johnson.

“I’ve lived in Louisiana for like 4 years now, so yeah, I think about getting that LSU offer, but I really don’t know if I want to stay home yet,” Johnson said.

Advertisement
"Coming to Newman had a big impact on my schoolwork, because McMain isn’t as good education-wise as Newman. Going through that process and actually flipping the switch academically was really difficult. But I got through it and am actually doing well in school."

I really liked this quote. Very good for the young man.

Advertisement
His route running needs so much work, he's late off the ball, his running after the catch skills are trash....
Please explain what made them give this offer??

There is a 2 star player somewhere in Dade, Broward or Palm beach with better skills than kids.... Ijs this kids Highlights are str8 trash

His route running needs so much work, he's late off the ball, his running after the catch skills are trash....
Please explain what made them give this offer??
You don't know what the **** you're talking about. Or your just dumb. For the majority of his highlights you don't even see h running his route because of the camera. And his running after the catch is very good considering he's a freshman playing against seniors. There are 3 or 4 plays he breaks multiple tackles to score a TD.

The fact that teams like Bama and Georgia offered him when he didn't even play last year and are basing it off freshman tape says a **** of a lot more than your dumb opinion. Keep your day job because your the worst scout I've ever seen in my life

Advertisement
You don't know what the **** you're talking about. Or your just dumb. For the majority of his highlights you don't even see h running his route because of the camera. And his running after the catch is very good considering he's a freshman playing against seniors. There are 3 or 4 plays he breaks multiple tackles to score a TD.

The fact that teams like Bama and Georgia offered him when he didn't even play last year and are basing it off freshman tape says a **** of a lot more than your dumb opinion. Keep your day job because your the worst scout I've ever seen in my life
Another keyboard gangster huh??
Thanks for the words of encouragement idiot.
I'll be sure to watch your expert analysis on t.. oh that's right, your dumba$$ dont play.

Advertisement
Back