2021 Spring Preview: DT

View as article
Jahfari Harvey, JHH & Elijah Roberts are my breakout players on the DLine this season.

I think all 3 of them will play well & be contributors.
Roberts really does have all the tools. JHH is a guy that I fully expect to be an all conference player sooner than later and Harvey will have all the chances to make a big impact, but if we have Roberts emerge, too? That’s a sign to me that our defensive line is stellar.

Those interior guys are the ones who will hide deficiencies elsewhere in the front 7, as they’ve done in the past. If we’re out there attacking and creating problems in the backfield, our defense can be ten times better.

Advertisement
I too have all the hope in Harvey that he’ll step up and start opposite of Deandre at DE. Give me Robert’s as backup on the SDE side or even LT when he arrives. Will depend on how focused he remains prior to the summer, and if he can come in to Fall camp in shape and ready to wreck havoc. Chantz will backup Jahfari along with Cam Williams. We really have strong pieces across the DL, it’s just mostly unproven outside of the DT’s. I think Simpson is going to whip the DL into 1 attacking machine and help hide as best as he can the play of the LB’s. Hopefully Aristide and Patke can find 3 overall players there that can help support the defense as a whole.

Advertisement
Really just comes down to whether our DT group will be elite or not. At a minimum just with the returning vets, we will be productive. And add to that Jess' return, and we are assured the group will be solid.

But back to whether they can elite. Depends largely on whether Nesta and JHH take that next step and become dominant. Ford and Miller are Steady Eddy's, and that's just fine for what we need them to do. So then it's Roberts and Holley (this assuming Quentin and Taylor are at DE next season) -- can these two guys give us good depth that could step in like JHH last year and contribute? If so, that would be 6 guys on the interior who would be more than a handful for OLs.

Again, not too worried about the DTs. Just hoping Jess can unleash these guys so they can wreak havoc.

I like JHH and Roberts as well. IMO jury is still out with Harvey, as I'm a bit skeptical of his ability to set the edge in the run game...I like Cam Williams to emerge alongside Deandre Johnson with Jahfari battling Chantz and TDavis and McCloud for DE3/DE4 snaps.
That's weird because harvey played better and more than williams. Harvey has a strip sack in the bowl game against one of the highest rated tackles in the big 12. Until harvey got that sack that tackle hadn't given up a sack all year. He'll have at least 12 tfls and 7 sacks

Advertisement
Back